Installed new video card, now no display!!

kurtcrosbie

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
Just installed the new low profile 9600gt galaxy card into my dell c521, which previously had the ati x1300. I am getting a blank screen when I start the computer. I get the click noise from the monitor like I usually do when I start the computer, but there is no display on the screen. I hooked the x1300 back up and it worked fine. It also works fine when I use the onboard video with the 9600 uninstalled. However, if I have the 9600 installed, and have the onboard video plugged up to the monitor, the screen tells me that I have an unsupported video configuration and to turn off the computer, switch the cable to the new video and restart. Of course, when I do this, I get no display.

TheViking

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2008
You need to be using a TWO molex to 1 pci express adapter. One molex from one rail of the power supply is probably not giving it enough power.

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
Well since you didnt uninstall the ATI drivers the Nvidia card wont run on the ATI drivers.

Use a driver sweeper or driver cleaner program to uninstall everything ATI, then put your Nvidia card in, and it will work.

ailgatrat

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
Drivers...yep...definitely need the correct drivers.

Also, you may want to verify that your PSU can provide enough power to that card. I didn't find any specific info on the 12V rail(s) for that 280W PSU on the Dell site. Might be on the PSU itself though.

kurtcrosbie

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
Other people with the same exact system were able to use this card with no modifications. I went ahead and shipped the card back to newegg. Too much frustration.

I'm going to buy a whole system and just sell mine.