NVIDIA card on TA790GX A2+ motherboard?

craz1e83

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
Hey guys I have a few questions for all of you smart folks out there...

My motherboard fried and I ordered a new one (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138128) BIOSTAR TFORCE TA790GX A2+ AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard. I have noticed that it talks about crossfirex ready and such and saw that my board will most likely not support SLI.

I have two nvidia 7800 gt cards atm and none of them are registering on the motherboard. The onboard graphic card is an ati 3300. Now on to my questions ...

1st - anyway at all to get SLI to run on this board? (any hacks I can dl that will for sure work? my sli bridge will not fit as it is too short on this board)

2nd - anyway to make one of the nvidia cards work atm as it is better than on board graphic card as temporary solution?

3rd - if I have to buy new cards, is it better to buy one extremely powerful card or two affordble cards and crossfirex them together?

4th - Can i even use the top end ati cards on this motherboard as the instruction manual only states radeon hd3650 hd3850 & hd3870? This could be because that is all they had when it came out?

Anyway thanks for the replies, greatly appreciated!!

Just_An_Engineer

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2008

1st: This board is not SLI compatible so you will never be able to get SLI to work unless Nvidia decides to supply drivers to enable software SLI like they did for the Intel X58 boards (extremely unlikely).

2nd: A single Nvidia card should work on that motherboard without any problems. It's possible that when your old motherboard fried it took your graphics cards with it if they won't even register as being installed.

3rd: A single card solution is usually better as not all games support SLI or crossfire. I would recommend getting a single 4850 as it will perform much better than your old SLI'd 7800GT's and will give you the option of adding a second in crossfire later.

4th: You can use the latest cards both in single card or crossfire modes. I suspect that the manual is talking about cards that you can hybrid-crossfire with the IGP. Since the IGP on the 790GX board is a 3000-series GPU it can only hybrid crossfire with other 3000-series GPU's.