Is my E8400 damaged or what??

72ogerrabbit

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2009
*****I FIXED PROBLEM***** Ok so I fixed it by turning down ram to 756mhz or whatever x2 ddr multiplier is. Why won't it run at 1066 anymore though? And also How can I get my fsb settings in bios.

So I just put together my first computer about 4 weeks ago.
Here are my specs atm

EP35-DS3R
E8400 @ 3.19ghz with Stock cooling
4Gb Gskill ddr2 1066 ram
WD 500gb hd
Super Core 500w psu
Gigabyte Nvidia 9400gt 1gb sddr2

After I put together my comp I tried Overclocking it I did 3.5ghz at stock voltage. My idle temp was 36-40c.
I had no problems at all running at that speed. Now a couple days ago I went on vacation so I turned off my computer, then I unpluged my psu.

So today when I got back I turned on my computer and then it restarted like if there was an error in something. Then I go into bios and my cpu is back to 3.0ghz because it reset. Then I tried to put it back to 3.5ghz and then when I turn computer on after saving bios it restarts. Like it turns on then shuts off then it turns on again. Which happens if I have something set up wrong in bios but I couldn't find anything setup wrong in it. So I try changing voltage around and still nothing happens. My timings are correct too. So then I go from 3.0ghz up and I could only get up to around 3.19-3.21ghz and if I tried to do more it would just not boot up correctly. So right now on windows nothing is slow or anything. I'm not sure if my cpu is damaged or not but on idle at 3.19ghz it is 38c-40c. I don't know what the problem is.

Ok someone suggested i do a stress test. I used prime 95. Idle is 40 for both and full load is around 57-60. Is that too hot or what?

Here is a vid and it has some of my bios information in it and what happens when I try to o.c. to 3.5ghz.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgdJlCEi2Uw

flyin15sec

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
I had an EP35-DS3L, and the BIOS had a problem not retaining the OC settings. It was fix with F5 BIOS. You may want to consider updating the BIOS.

Mondoman

Splendid
Something might very well be damaged. Some ideas:

1) Sounds like you have a no-name power supply, which could be failing or causing problems. You can get a good-quality PS from (among others) PCP&C or Antec for under $50 after rebate w/free shipping -- check out newegg.

2) Remember that having the CPU voltage set to "auto" is NOT the same as stock voltage. The "auto" setting will automatically boost the CPU voltage as you boost the FSB. Thus, you likely have been overvolting your CPU, and it might be damaged.

3) More likely, though, is an issue with your RAM. First of all, essentially all RAM sold today rated faster than DDR2-800 is just DDR2-800 (or worse) RAM sold according to an overclock spec. You can tell by the non-standard voltage required (higher than the 1.9V max of the DDR2 standard). Not surprisingly, such overclocked modules have a much higher failure rate.

First, make sure you have set your RAM voltage to at least the spec voltage for your particular RAM modules (if given a range of voltages, use the highest). Then, run first memtest86+ O/N, the Orthos or similar stress-testing program under Windows O/N to make sure you don't have any memory errors.

However, unless you are using a FSB faster than 1600MHz, running RAM faster than DDR2-800 is useless anyway, since the slower of the FSB and memory bus datarates is what limits the RAM throughput. A 1600MHz FSB corresponds to RAM run at DDR2-800 in dual-channel mode. You should be running your RAM in a 1:1 datarate ratio with the FSB; for the stock e8400, that means running the RAM at DDR2-667; as you boost the FSB, increase the memory bus speed proportionally. Normally, you should be able to set a "linked" mode or similar in the BIOS to have this happen automatically.

mildiner86

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2008
could u please get an aftermarket cooler rather than use the scabby stock one u can pic up freezer 7 pro which will let u clock up to around 4 Ghz on average for like £20 OC with stock cooler is madness

are u sure u had it at 3.5Ghz before cause u may find that the Motherboard has a fsb limit as im guessing ur board is designed for 1333 fsb and the cpu is stock at 1333 i had to upgrade my motherboard as i found it couldnt handle high FSB speeds

im guessing at this cause ur temps dont indercate that its the CPU causing the reboot id guess its the motherboard hitting its fsb wall.

could be a dodgy PSU as well but im more in favor of the Motherboard

kdinx

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2007
I'm having gigabyte P35-ds4. same board like urs but an additional firewire,and huge cooper pipe.+

c2d E6400 oc to 3.2ghz,ram ddr2 800,fsb 1600, ..so the ration will be 1:1

sometimes I'm also having problem like yours.The motherboard suddenly restart,and suddenly reset CPU OC . and when I try to to OC again,its reset again.this problem happen becuase the mobo accidentally OC my DDR2 to 1200mhz

well my solution is: when I try to OC again, I also check for ddr2 multiplier,it must be 2,and the speed must be 800mhz total