Sign in with
Your question

First build, horrible fps, i've got a few ?'s

Last response: in Motherboards
February 17, 2009 12:09:44 AM

Hey guys, i built my first gaming pc for Christmas and I've been having some problems with it. I've been looking around trying to find answers and I've come up with a few guesses but i would like some second opinions and advice
on what could possibly be the problem.

My System:
CPU- Intel Pentium D 830 3.00Ghz
MOBO- ASUS P5GC-MX/1333
Memory- Patriot PC5400 4GB (2x 2GB)
PSU- DiabloTek 400w
Video Card- EVGA GeForce 9500GT 1GB

My problem: low fps in almost every game i play. even in dungeon siege and starcraft. Far cry 2 gets 25fps if im lucky and ps2 emulators barely run.

Now, I'm gonna provide as much information as possible for what i think may be the problem, if you need any additional info don't hesitate to ask, i will try to get it, i really wanna run my games smooth.

I used Everest 5.0 and CPU-Z to get the info.

this may get a bit random cause I'm just gonna be posting the specs of my north bridge/memory/CPU and my thoughts for what could be the problem.

My North Bridge
http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv317/xxxmeltingsunxx/NB1.jpg
http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv317/xxxmeltingsunxx/NB2.jpg

These are the specs of my north bridge. If you look at the Supported memory types it says DDR2-400 and DDR2-533. On the box, in the manual and on the website, it says 533 and 667. which leads me to another question and my memory specs.

My Memory.

Stick 1
http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv317/xxxmeltingsunxx/Memory1.jpg

Stick 2
http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv317/xxxmeltingsunxx/Memory2.jpg

First thing i noticed is that Stick 2's memory speed is rated at DDR2-800 while stick one is rated at DDR2-667. I purchased both of them from the same shop in the same order. Would having one stick of memory at DDR2-800 and one at DDR2-667 cause some lag? and on top of my North Bridge saying it doesn't support over DDR2-533??

and just in case, here's the CPU info
http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv317/xxxmeltingsunxx/CPU1.jpg

It says the speed is 2800Mhz, but i have it clocked to 3000Mhz, from what i've read it's the Intel SpeedStep cause it goes up to 3000Mhz when i game.

I'm sorry if some of you get lost, but i really want to get some answers, i tried over at Guru3d and i didn't get much help. ANY advice would be great. thanks in advance!!

More about : build horrible fps

a b V Motherboard
February 17, 2009 10:49:12 AM

Turn off Speed Step in the BIOS, that will help. Other than that, I don't really know what to tell you.

What inspired you to pick this processor and video card for a gamer's machine?
You should have asked for help before you built this system, you have made a couple of mistakes in your choices for a gaming system. (unless you are talking about Christmas time............ 2005)

Pentium D? Old, slow technology.
Even the old Athlon X2's have DOUBLE the performance clock per clock.

9500GT with a gig of memory? This is not a gaming card.....well it is pretty low end gaming card anyway. The card simply does not have enough power to turn settings up enough to use more than 512 meg of memory.

The PSU.....well, that is probably the best video card you can run with that PSU.
And even then, the PSU may be underpowering it.

Related resources
February 17, 2009 10:52:24 AM

I suspect your PSU... Most 400W PSUs can only do 400W for short periods of time and about 300W over long periods of time. That coupled to a power hungry and overclocked PentiumD 830 and you've got a problem.

The other major concern is that the 830 is a heat generator. I hope you didn't overclock using the stock cooler.
February 17, 2009 10:56:02 AM

jitpublisher said:
Turn off Speed Step in the BIOS, that will help. Other than that, I don't really know what to tell you.

You should have asked for help before you built this system, you have made a couple of mistakes in your choices for a gaming system. (unless you are talking about Christmas time............ 2005)

9500GT with a gig of memory? This is not a gaming card.....well maybe just barely, but it is the very bottom of the barrel. The card simply does not have enough power to turn settings up enough to use more than 512 meg of memory.

The PSU.....well, that is probably the best video card you can run with that PSU.

Not quite double the performance per a clock. Pentium D runs at 2 instructions per a cycle while the Athlon X2 runs at 3 instructions per a cycle so its more 50% extra per a clock.
a b V Motherboard
February 17, 2009 11:06:20 AM

You are right JDocs, I stand corrected, but it is a very solid 50%.
a b V Motherboard
February 17, 2009 11:31:54 AM

Simply put, every part of the PC is underpowered for gaming. The PSU also limits any possible upgrade, so that would be the first thing to go, followed by at least 2GB of faster RAM, and a Core 2 CPU. After that, you can think about a new GFX card, but the Pentium D/RAM/PSU need to be upgraded first to see any benifit from a GPU upgrade.

Basically, if you want to play modern games, you need a complete re-build.
February 17, 2009 6:08:47 PM

jitpublisher said:

9500GT with a gig of memory? This is not a gaming card.....well it is pretty low end gaming card anyway. The card simply does not have enough power to turn settings up enough to use more than 512 meg of memory.

The reason i made the choices i did for my machine is i am on a student budget, i had $450 max to spend on a comp so i was trying to skim by on prices, but i learned the hard way, you get what you pay for.

My birthday's coming up next month so maybe with the extra money i could get a new psu and ram.....I'm replacing the mobo/CPU with an AMD setup but i can't find a mobo that's fairly cheap but with decent ratings....any suggestions? i was hoping for a $120 price limit on the mobo, but i found an ASUS P5Q Deluxe for $100 on newegg, and it has some pretty good reviews.

And i was going for the AMD Athlon X2 7750 BE and MAYBE a Phenom X3 8650 if i get a bonus or a raise or something hahaha

And no, i haven't overclocked the CPU, but it's staying pretty cool at 38C when i'm on the web and playing music, goes up to 44-49C when i try to play far cry 2.

as for the video card, i found an ATI HD4670 for $85 after mail-in rebate.

Thanks so much for some solid answers, i will start rebuilding my system soon.
February 17, 2009 6:38:31 PM

gamerk316 said:
Simply put, every part of the PC is underpowered for gaming. The PSU also limits any possible upgrade, so that would be the first thing to go, followed by at least 2GB of faster RAM, and a Core 2 CPU. After that, you can think about a new GFX card, but the Pentium D/RAM/PSU need to be upgraded first to see any benifit from a GPU upgrade.

Basically, if you want to play modern games, you need a complete re-build.

Ram speed upgrades are over-rated except for overclocking purposes. Since my guess (no offense meant) is that he shouldn't be trying to overclock until he learns a bit more a RAM upgrade is a terrible way to spend his money. All he really needs is to drop in a Core2 and a graphics card (with PSU for the graphics card).

Based on the mobo I would look into:
an e7400 ($120, double check support some COre 2's are supported but I din't look at which models)
a ATI 4850 ($150)
a good PSU ~$80 (everyone has their favorite brands)

Total of ~$350, I would avoid doing budget upgrades (just my opinion), you'll just end up spending more later when you have to upgrade again. Try reselling components on ebay.

As mentioned above I would not upgrade the RAM as it will make somewhere around a 1-3 FPS difference which is not a good value.
February 17, 2009 7:14:59 PM

xxmeltingsunxx said:
I'm replacing the mobo/CPU with an AMD setup but i can't find a mobo that's fairly cheap but with decent ratings....any suggestions? i was hoping for a $120 price limit on the mobo, but i found an ASUS P5Q Deluxe for $100 on newegg, and it has some pretty good reviews.

And i was going for the AMD Athlon X2 7750 BE and MAYBE a Phenom X3 8650 if i get a bonus or a raise or something hahaha

I'm pretty sure the P5Q Deluxe is for Intel CPU's, won't be compatible with AMD. For your video card, if you're going to spend ~85, might as well get the 4830--> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Bottom line, make sure you do your research before purchasing parts, especially if you have never done this before.
February 17, 2009 7:37:48 PM

Yikes, that's a trainwreck of a system. As everyone else has said, the only thing you can really do is sell off what you have and start over from scratch.

Asus P5Q SE PLUS $82
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

G.SKILL 4GB PC6400 $46

Intel E7400 2.8 Core2duo $120

PC Power & Cooling 500W PSU $60

MSI HD 4830 $85

Total $393

If you wanted to save a little more money you could grab the E5200 2.5 for $47 cheaper.

Good luck.

a b V Motherboard
February 17, 2009 9:07:56 PM

xxmeltingsunxx said:
The reason i made the choices i did for my machine is i am on a student budget, i had $450 max to spend on a comp so i was trying to skim by on prices, but i learned the hard way, you get what you pay for.

My birthday's coming up next month so maybe with the extra money i could get a new psu and ram.....I'm replacing the mobo/CPU with an AMD setup but i can't find a mobo that's fairly cheap but with decent ratings....any suggestions? i was hoping for a $120 price limit on the mobo, but i found an ASUS P5Q Deluxe for $100 on newegg, and it has some pretty good reviews.

And no, i haven't overclocked the CPU, but it's staying pretty cool at 38C when i'm on the web and playing music, goes up to 44-49C when i try to play far cry 2.

Thanks so much for some solid answers, i will start rebuilding my system soon.

There have been some good input here towards a system that may not be a huge powerhouse, but it will run your games decently, and be MILES ahead of what you have now.
Now my 2 cents.....
Uh.....4670, not for a gaming machine man. Of any single thing in a gaming system, this is the one part you CANNOT skimp on.
You can get by with less processor, less memory, even a dirt cheap motherboard as long as it has a PICe 16X slot, but you cannot go cheap on the video card. Cannot, cannot, cannot. You get the most benefit out of a decent GPU. Even your old Pentium D can strain on for a while longer with a decent graphic card. A nice inexpensive Core duo added to it later would give it an extra kick in the pants as well.

For $350, you could really do pretty good, much better than what you have.
You have to start out with a decent PSU, and no reason to not buy anything less than a 4850.
4830....eh-okay. But I would rather save money somewhere else and spend it on the 4850.

Work toward a processor next, and worry about RAM as the very last thing.

February 17, 2009 10:29:38 PM

From what i've seen on my buddy's system the 4670 (with phenom x3 2.3ghz and 2gb of memory) does just fine on games, even crysis ran great on high settings.

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions. hopefully i can get it all together soon.

February 18, 2009 6:06:10 AM

The 4670 is decent for casual gamers. Its pretty good in the sense that it won't draw a lot of power - no PCIe connector necessary. But going with that will mean you'll have to upgrade it perhaps a year or two later.

But man, Pentium D...you can buy a C2D E7200 for $100 in the US! (Canada is still way overpriced). But hey, no use talking about what you already built.

I personally think that you should get new PSU and video card. Leave the processor and let it do its job for perhaps another year. That way, you at least get some back for your purchase. Selling a Pentium D isn't going to get you much, not many people want it nowadays. With, say, a 4670 or 4830 and a Pentium D, you can probably run most games fine - just don't expect it to demolish Crysis like your buddy's system.
February 18, 2009 11:10:50 AM

eddieroolz said:
The 4670 is decent for casual gamers. Its pretty good in the sense that it won't draw a lot of power - no PCIe connector necessary. But going with that will mean you'll have to upgrade it perhaps a year or two later.

But man, Pentium D...you can buy a C2D E7200 for $100 in the US! (Canada is still way overpriced). But hey, no use talking about what you already built.

I personally think that you should get new PSU and video card. Leave the processor and let it do its job for perhaps another year. That way, you at least get some back for your purchase. Selling a Pentium D isn't going to get you much, not many people want it nowadays. With, say, a 4670 or 4830 and a Pentium D, you can probably run most games fine - just don't expect it to demolish Crysis like your buddy's system.

i'm not looking for a monster system, i just want to get out of the 20fps range...at least...

i had a system back in 2002-2003 that my uncle had given me, it ran Far Cry1 on high and flatout and was running on a geforce 4, 1gb ram and I'm not sure what processor, but the video card crapped out a i moved the HD into my current system....i had a craptastic computer that couldn't even watch you tube videos for awhile. so any improvement to game playing is a big plus in my eyes.

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated. i found a decent priced 4830 on newegg, so i'll probably go with that and a 600w PSU....i'll take care of the processor at another time like you said, and the mobo after that.

again thanks for your help everyone :-D
a b V Motherboard
February 18, 2009 12:32:49 PM

If the 4830 better fits your budget, that is a good call. You won't be dissapointed with it.
Remember though, the Phenom of your friends even at 2.3 ghz is sustantially faster than your Pentium D, so don't be hugely dissapointed with the 4830 if it does not quite match the performance of your friends rig. A modern processor (when you can fit it into your budget) is going to elevate your performance level again.
February 18, 2009 7:49:40 PM

I don't think you'll need a 600w PSU for that system. Find a reliable brand PSU (corsair, PC P&C, etc) in the 400w-450w range and that should be fine.
February 18, 2009 11:40:22 PM

jitpublisher said:
If the 4830 better fits your budget, that is a good call. You won't be dissapointed with it.
Remember though, the Phenom of your friends even at 2.3 ghz is sustantially faster than your Pentium D, so don't be hugely dissapointed with the 4830 if it does not quite match the performance of your friends rig. A modern processor (when you can fit it into your budget) is going to elevate your performance level again.

Yes, i kinda guessed that the processor would be a little slow, but after the previous comp i had ANYTHING worked for me...would the c2d 7400 be good enough for gaming? after the video card, of course.

stash9876 said:
I don't think you'll need a 600w PSU for that system. Find a reliable brand PSU (corsair, PC P&C, etc) in the 400w-450w range and that should be fine.

i figured i would just make sure i have the power for future upgrades...not anytime soon, but probably by next year i'd want to go quad core and/or sli/cf....and i wouldn't want to have to buy another PSU on top of the new mobo i'd need for sli/cf. would having too much power ruin the components?? i figured it wouldn't, but as you can tell, i'm no expert :p 
February 19, 2009 2:56:07 AM

xxmeltingsunxx said:

i figured i would just make sure i have the power for future upgrades...not anytime soon, but probably by next year i'd want to go quad core and/or sli/cf....and i wouldn't want to have to buy another PSU on top of the new mobo i'd need for sli/cf. would having too much power ruin the components?? i figured it wouldn't, but as you can tell, i'm no expert :p 

If you're planning on another upgrade then go ahead and get the more powerful PSU you were talking about, just make sure it's a good brand.
February 20, 2009 3:44:16 AM

Nah sun, it won't melt your parts. There would just be extra power sitting idle - nothing wrong with that, except for your electric bills.

Seems like you've got your system sorta straightened out. Good luck, and when you have a doubt - just ask back here in the future. :) 
February 27, 2009 1:44:23 AM

Hey guys, I just got a buyer for my paintball gun so i was thinking of getting a new video card as soon as i get payment. I was looking on newegg and found a few i like.

First is the 9800GT....I've heard good things about it and it comes with COD4 AND COD5...$110 after $20 rebate
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150316

And next was a Radeon HD 4850........$135 after $10 rebate
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150316

If the 9800gt will do about as good as the 4850 then I'm probably going to go with that to save a little money where i can.

The PSU will be coming in 19 days along with the new processor (birthdays are wonderful excuses for new gear :D  )
!