Power problems - 2 broken computers.

lukegfx

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2006
Hey,

Last week my friend dropped around his computer so that i could tinker with it and try to fix it. He said he had been having problems starting up for a while, he said eh had to leave his computer for 20-30 mins before it would turn on - and there was a flashing LED behind his power button.

After a brief google i decided to take my power supply and replace his, to try and find the source of the problem. Nothing happened when i fitted mine, Apart from a flashing light on the motherboard (the flashing my friend saw behind his power button).

Once i re-assembled my computer, it wouldn't boot. And now i have a flashing light on my motherboard too. Google told me it could be an overloaded 5v or something, but after disconnecting all peripherals it will not boot at all. the flashing wont go away. Apparatus my motherboard may be in "sleep mode" but if so i have no idea how to wake it up.

In the process of tying to fix my mates computer, i have broken my own. Has his computer given mine a disease or something? Is there anyway his build could have broken my power supply in the short amount of time it was connected for?

I cant see it as a wiring problem because i have refitted it many times now, and still nothing happens. If i got a new power supply whats to stop my friends computer breaking that one too? Any thought or ideas on how to sort this out is appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Luke :)

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
get a hold of the manual for your friends computer find out what is what,you need to post more info,ie,make,model of mobo ,ram,y'know the usual stuff,BTW examine the other mobo for bad parts,smell it for that burnt smell,really need more info here...:)

lukegfx

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2006
My mobo - Asus p5w dh deleuxe
Antec 500w basiq was the supply in mine that i put in both.
No burnt smell on his comp apart from in his old power supply.

His old comp is a dell so i cant really see the mobo name. Its an inspiron 5150 if that helps?

Is there a possibility that his comp could have broken my supply? or are they both completely unrelated problems?