Good power supply for gaming/web surfing computer?

R121991

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2009
I am currently building a gaming/web surfing computer that i would like to be decently fast and reliable. I will slowly buy the parts i've picked between paychecks until I have them all. I have a computer case and LCD monitor already. However I am still a bit "iffy" about the power supply. A good friend of mine says don't get one below 300W. I would LOVE to hear any and all second opinions. I'm just starting to learn about computers so please watch the "lingo:. :)

mi1ez

Splendid
The power of your PSU would depend entirely on what other hardware is going in?

Quad core/Dual core CPU?
How many hard drives and optical (DVD) drives?
What graphics card? How many?
What is your budget?

R121991

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2009
im tryin to stay below 1 grand lol... dual cpu... only gonna use about two drives...one graphics card...not sure which one yet but wont be a super high-end

mi1ez

Splendid
in that case a 450-500W power supply will do you fine. Make sure you buy from a known, recommended brand, typically Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, Antec, etc.

This list will give you a good idea what to go for.

Miles

Devastator_uk

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2009
I would recommend going for a decent brand as they are more likely to provide a clean and stable but for anyone on a really tight budget the EZcool PSUs are cheap and reliable (I've probably used about 50 in the past 3 years and not a single problem even on gaming PCs or PCs left on for 12h a day).