Noctua NH-U12P flawed vibration design?

fnukyguy

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
Im thinking about getting the Noctua Nh-u12p, but one thing caught my attention...
Take a look at this picture :

noctuavibration.jpg

as you can see , the fan is in direct contact with the heatsink...plastic against metal..wouldn't this cause more vibration noise compared to a design where the fan is not in contact with the metal at all?
Yes, I know it has rubber strips, but it still looks like the plastic touches the metal at the edges...

Isn't this a better design? (xigmatek 1283) :

xigmatek.JPG

fnukyguy

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
after seeing this photo, it looks like the edges of the fan does not touch the metal...so it may not be a problem afterall?

noctua_nh-u12p_se_020.JPG

will31

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
It's not a problem I have this cooler as well Noctua provides these rubber stripes that stick with a tape like surface in between the cooler and the fan, and as you pointed out the fan does not actually touch the fins.. There is no vibration. The cooler is really well designed.

ubernoobie

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
Gelid makes better fans cfm/dba but suck for rads, only the wing 12 is worth for heatsinks. Noctua moves a heck more air at any rpm but it's noise is louder to MY ears. For me, noctua @ 900rpm vs gelid silent 12(1000rpm) the gelid wins with alot less airflow. For vibration, I've put the fan on flimsy metal and if it vibrates, it would be very noticeable, for my ears, I've only heard a bit of vibration but that was from the power supply cables dangling and hitting the metal

sailer

Splendid
The Noctua fans that I bought caused no noise/vibration problem that I could notice. The plastic strips were a bit of a pain to put on, but they do their job quite well. They impressed me enough that I bought an entire Noctua heatsink with two fans and will be buying another when I build my next i7.

sailer

Splendid

I fully agree with that, but since I rarely look at the fans, it doesn't bother me much. I'd rather have a fan that worked good and looked bad than a fan that looked good but worked bad.

Yea, the reason why I say this is because most of my builds have a side panel plexi and a cream colored fan does not blend in with most hardware. Of course if the side panel is not see-thru then it does not matter....

fnukyguy

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
I got the Noctua Nh-u12p today, and the fan DOES touch the edges of the heatsink like it does in the first photo....
Have not tried it yet, I hope it'll be silent enough for my sensitive ears...

The fan on my cooler also touches the sink and I have no vibrating/noisy issues whatsoever...

opiate_jb

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
i have that fan and i can tell u it very quite. but there may be a tiny vibration.This fan works so well thoe that i would take the good with the bad since it is very slightly.