Sign in with
Your question
Solved

ASUS P5B Delux/wifi AP lga 775 and OC a E8400

Last response: in Overclocking
February 9, 2010 8:23:16 PM

Hi all - Need some advice on overclocking my E8400 CPU - I get it to around 370-380 FSB in bios and its unstable. Anyone who can help me with settings using a ASUS P5B Delux/wifi AP lga 775 motheboard would be great.

I have a nice Zaltmans cooler on cpu so im thinking maybe if im just changing the fsb or whatever it is to 380 I need to change some other settings to make my PC stable.

Basically I can get the CPU to 3.4 but I heard 3.6 is easy and I would love some advice on the proper settings to try.

Thank you!!
a c 156 V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 172 à CPUs
a c 197 K Overclocking
February 10, 2010 2:59:10 PM

If you have left your memory settings on Auto, there's a good chance that that is your problem.

Look for a guide for your particular motherboard. Google is your friend.

Go through the guides. Then go into the BIOS and change the System Memory Multiplier (or whatever your BIOS calls it) from AUTO to 2.00, 2.00B, or 2.00D - whichever you need to set the Memory Frequency to twice the FSB. Then when you increase the FSB, the memory clock will rise in step with it. If you are at 3.0 GHz (333 MHz X 9), your memory clock should be at 667 MHz.

Download CPU-Z to check your FSB:RAM ratio.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 10, 2010 3:37:22 PM

You might have already checked this, but make sure the cooler is properly seated onto the CPU and the temps are not going too high...
m
l
Related resources
February 10, 2010 3:49:53 PM

I also tried software overclocking with the ASUS AI Suite and Soft FSB but these seem worse than using the BIOS to overclock.

How do you guys feel about software overclocking?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 10, 2010 3:52:29 PM

Software overclocking is for Dell machines or other OEM PC's that do not allow for unlocking the BIOS for Overclocking. In short, ALWAYS use the BIOS to overclock if it is available.
m
l
February 10, 2010 7:28:40 PM

I want to try 400x9 with my E8400 - So I will change my memory timings and see if this helps.
Honestly I do not have a clue when it come to changing memory timings and such but I'll give it a go and hope for the best.
m
l
February 23, 2010 12:58:34 PM

Anyone provide me with some settings to try with this bios for my memory timings? I'm trying to avoid really messing things and having t otake the cpu and reboot to recover from a disater bios setting.
m
l
February 23, 2010 11:32:35 PM

And this is the memory I'm using - I have 4 sticks (4gigs) of this - OCZ Technology ATI CrossFire Edition 1GB PC6400 DDR2 DIMM Memory - Still need advice on what to clock this at to make my CPU overclock stable.
m
l
February 25, 2010 7:16:15 PM

Its probably your ram. Is it DDR2-800? What are the set and current frequency values? You can find them in your BIOS. The set value should be 800. If it is 800 and if the SPD is 2.00 with the multiplier being 9x @445, then I assume you have a current value of 890, which means that you exceed the set frequency by 90. With 2 sticks this shouldnt be a problem. You should be able to do that without even having to change the DDR voltage. But with 4 sticks, things look a little different. Run a couple of Prime tests and memtests and only change the DDR2 voltage under your BIOS. I wouldn't exceed +.5V, but gradually increase the voltage and keep checking the temperature as you run Prime
m
l
February 26, 2010 8:23:30 PM

Yes, it is DDR2800 - I will check the frequency values when I get home.
m
l
February 27, 2010 12:54:56 PM

In the bios DRAM Frequency is set to Auto - Other options are 720/900/1080/1200/1440
I also have AI Tuning option - Manual/Auto/Standard/AI N.O.S. any clue if I should be using this?
m
l
March 1, 2010 1:42:39 PM

Ok, read my first post again. If you increase your CPU frequency to 400, your DRAM is going to multiply that value if your SPD which should be 2.00. That means your DRAM frequency is going to be 800 which is the manufacturer's set frequency. It should be stable at 800. Once you go beyond 800 you start squeezing more performance out of your ram. So you might want to increase the voltage a little bit. How much GHz do you get with a frequency of 380? If you're multiplier is 9x then you should be getting about 3.4GHz. The E8400 can definitely do more than that. If 380 is your FSB frequency then your DRAM frequency should be 760 which is 40 units under the set value of your manufacturer, so I'm sure it's not your memory.

What are the voltages of your DDR2 and your CPU? Also, do you check the temperatures when testing?
m
l
March 1, 2010 6:16:33 PM

Well, yesterday I tried 9x400 with my DRAM set to 900(no clue why but I tried) and my PC would not post or beep or anything. I had to remove my heatsink/processor turn on then power off and put back the CPU and heatsink and power on to reset/recover the bios.

I really thought I bought the right stuff for a nice and easy overclock but this ASUS BIOS is confusing me.

If I set my CPU to x9 @ 400 or even 380 do I need to mess with my memory? The memory currently is set to auto. I can set my FSB to 380 but during gaming it will crash. I really want to set FSB to 400 and I honestly do not think I have any heat issues (using Artic Silver + Zaltman copper heatsink). I checked my temps idle and gaming and the range is 38-39 idle and 44-45 gaming load, is this super hot?

I need to figure out how to manually change my memory settings, perhaps im looking in the wrong area or missing one or two small details.

I never changed my voltages on my CPU or ram.

This is my current BIOS version P5B Deluxe BIOS 1238

Again, thanks for the help.
m
l

Best solution

March 1, 2010 7:11:58 PM

winny - you might really have to change the voltages to see if that makes a difference. That's normally the primary problem (not enough voltage and too high of a frequency). Honestly, the E8400 should do just fine at 400Mhz without having to increase the voltage but every motherboard is different.

Here is what I would do:
1. Find a guide that deals solely with overclocking your motherboard model
2. If you can't find a guide but know where the options are, enter your BIOS and change the following
- CPU voltage = 1.375V
- DDR2 voltage = 2.0V - 2.1V = increase by 0.1V - 0.4V
- FSB voltage = increase by 0.1V - 0.2V
- (G)MCH voltage = increase by 0.1V - 0.2V
- Make sure your PCI-E frequency is 100 and not auto and the voltage is unchanged.

Download CPU-Z and HW monitor, Everest, memtest+, Prime95 and update your BIOS

In order to find out by exactly how much to increase the voltage of your DDR ram, look at the current voltage and find out what the set voltage from the manufacturer is. I assume the set voltage is 2.1V and your current voltage is 1.8V. I'm assuming this, I don't really know it, so you should use everest or CPU-Z to find out what they really are.
Use Everst to find the timings for your Ram. They are probably 5-5-5-18, but get the exact timings from either everest (recommended) or CPU-Z or even the manufacturer's website/manual (best). Then change everything that deals with ram from auto to manual and enter those timings yourself.
I don't see how your DRAM is at 900 when your frequency is 400 and your SPD is 2x. Unless the DRAM:FSB ratio is not 1:1. Use CPU-Z to find the DRAM:FSB ratio.
While you stress test with Prime95, use CPU HW monitor to monitor the temps and make sure they stay below 65C. Play around with those settings a little bit until you get a stable result. You should be able to run Prime95 for about 5 hours without encountering any errors. Otherwise, you will have to go back and try different settings.
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
March 1, 2010 7:59:15 PM

winny, mpdegn is giving you good advice. 3.6Ghz really should be very easy to obtain for you. I wish I still had my P5KC/E8400 then I could give you a better idea of what voltages I had set, but I gave it away.

You may also want to download the data sheet from Intel, that will give you all the min-max voltages recommended for your processor.

There are two ways to go about OCing, you can set all your voltages to the max recommended and set your frequency to what you want it at, test and then lower the voltages one at a time and test in between until you have the voltages and OC you want. NOT my favorite way.

You could also start low, set all you voltages to default (including ram frequency and voltage), then slowly start raising your FSB and adjust voltages (one at a time) only when needed (of course monitoring your temps and testing in between). This is my preferred why, but it does take some time. This way you know you HAD to change a certain voltage and it will keep you at the minimum voltage for your OC.

m
l
March 4, 2010 2:26:59 PM

Let us know what the outcome is buddy
m
l
March 15, 2010 2:24:28 PM

Best answer selected by winny72.
m
l
March 15, 2010 2:28:27 PM

mpdegn said:
Let us know what the outcome is buddy

This worked, thank you all.

My PC is stable now at 3.6Ghz - Temps are at 38 idle and 44-47 load with air cooling. I might try for more but why push my luck.
m
l
March 15, 2010 4:07:44 PM

welcome
m
l
!