Sign in with
Your question

can i get help to choose if these parts ive found work well etc

Last response: in Systems
October 18, 2008 6:13:39 PM

Hey guys, new guy here, im currently building a budget system for video editing and general art related duties for university course cause it seems my laptop isn't up for the job :D 

i have spent most of the day, scouring the web for great deals and my aim was to get a system for £450 :D  i think i did a good job ( good thing is i alrdy have a 22" benq monitor, so that's taken most of the price away).

i have created a comparison chart of all the components i have chosen, highlighted in yellow are the ones im thinking of getting, but also i have added alternatives because im very unsure if they will fit together well, and that's where i need the help.

if its all right with you guys, can you take a look and tell me what you think, maybe offer up some alternatives if they dont go well, has to meet £450 of below.

heres a link to the pdf sheet http://rapidshare.com/files/155259467/Spec_idea_Compari... 74 KB

and heres a preview of the sheet so you know what it is

Also on the sheet are the websites of where i found the componants and each will have their order code(OC) or quicklink (dabs) for easy access if you want to get the specs :D 

thanks guys :bounce: 
October 18, 2008 6:26:04 PM

4gb of ram is good, but performance will not be measurably different if you use DDR2-800 ram. Dont pay extra for faster ram or better timings. +1FPS is not worth it.

For a gaming system, spend a bit more for the VGA card. Cut back a bit on the CPU if you must.
October 18, 2008 6:59:00 PM

I am afraid I can't see the whole of the image, but:

- Try an E8500 it shouldn't be much more expensive (£10?) but will give some more go. However for video editting you might see more performance from a quad core processor - Q6600.
- If you aren't planning to overclock then you can use the standard heat sink that comes with the retail version.

- +1 for 4Gb of ram DDR800.

- I might be prepared to pay the extra £4 for the P45 motherboard, it would allow you to use a second graphics card later if you got into gaming.

- Also try ebuyer for components they seem to be slightly cheaper than dabs, and around the same as overclockers (maybe a little cheaper). They also do free delievery over £50 which will save you money.

Without seeing more of the list that is the best I can do I'm afraid.
Jeremy

Related resources
October 18, 2008 7:13:39 PM

Ok,

- See what you can find for a bigger hard disk. That one is going to be full at a rate of knots if you are video editting. There should be some good ones available for not much more - look for WD, Seagate, Samsung

- Maybe look for corsair psu. There should be some lower wattage ones available in your range. You don't need massive power for this sort of system. If there isn't I would suggest the OCZ one rather than Hiper.

------------

Other suggestion - laptop upgrade (!). Dependant on what you've got currently and what the weakest link is. It's never going to be as fast as a new build, but it will be cheaper.

- More RAM - easy upgrade, put as much as you can in.
- Fast HDD - this is usually the problem component. Repacing a 5400rpm disk with a 7200 one would make a good difference.

NB: Processor upgrades in laptops are very expensive - not worth it.

Jeremy
October 18, 2008 11:16:10 PM

[EDIT]

[EDIT]

ok i think i have it sorted, this is my build, all found on www.ebuyer.com, can you guys just look over them in more depth for me please and make sure i matched them up ok? dont want to buy them and find one componant wont go with another cuase i f**ked up :(  :p 

THE RED NUMBERS ARE THE QUICK LINK NUMBER FOR ebuyer.com

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Energy Efficient 95W edition Socket 775 (2.40GHz) G0 Stepping L2 8MB Cache OEM Processor131823

ABIT IP35P Socket 775 P35 7.1 channel audio ATX Motherboard 146822

OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 800Mhz/PC2-6400 Memory Unbuffered CL5 DUAL CHANNEL KIT 142382

Sapphire HD 4850 512MB GDDR3 Dual DVI Dual slot cooler HDTV Out PCI-E Graphics Card 148468

Maxtor STM3250310AS 250GB SATAII 8MB Cache – OEM131214

LG GH20NS15 20X SATA DVD?RW/DL/RAM - Black Bare Drive OEM 145869

EV Black Mid Tower Gaming Case with Massive 14cm Front Fan - No PSU134798

Arctic Power 500W PSU With PCI-E 2x SATA, 20+4 ATX12V 8pin +12V Connectors - 124922

October 19, 2008 8:43:46 AM

HI X@nder,

In prinicpal all those bits will work together.

Looking back at your initial post you don't say that you will be using the system for any gaming. Video editting and art related stuff generally aren't that graphics heavy, they want fast CPU and hard disk speeds.

I would recommend cutting back on the graphics, maybe see if you can find a cheaper NVidia card (9xxx). NVidia are talking about making their CUDA system compatible with Adobe CS4 and this will make the rendering faster (or at least they hope so!).

I would also go for more on the hard disk, get a bigger one with a higher cache - it should help with load times.

Jeremy

Try the Tom's Hardware charts for HDD and there are monthly articles on the best graphics cards in given price ranges.

October 19, 2008 9:04:48 AM

hey thanks jpdykes, ive been out of the comp building scene for way too long lol, what (9xxx) card would you recommend, a 9600? or maybe 9800GT?

the hard drive im not too worried about right now, beucase i have 1TB external for my laptop that most my work goes on, easy transfer to uni computers but i will look into a higher cache one :D 
October 19, 2008 2:06:53 PM

Have a look at the following links, the first is the Tom's Hardware GPU charts. The second details NVidia cards supporting CUDA.

THG GPU's: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/Best-Graphics-Card,...

CUDA GPU's: http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda_learn_products.html

Note that the Tom's Charts are geared towards gamers so you don't need to spend lots here. I'm suggesting NVidia as you may get use from CUDA later on in the builds life - I'm unsure if ATi are offering this tech yet.

Have a look at the Tom's HDD charts, aim for fastest one you can get it will help with OS / program loading etc.

Jeremy
October 19, 2008 6:30:14 PM
!