First time builder, made some mistakes =(

twood86

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
My friend and I were putting my new computer together last night and ran into a few bumps. The main one was installing the cpu and heatsink onto my P5Q pro mobo. We had thought it was on right. However when I booted up I got a message saying the cpu was over heating. I ofcourse shut the pc down. Being that wasn't the only thing that went wrong I decided to just take it to the local computer shop. He told me that yes, the cpu wasn't attached all the way but he got everything up and running fine. I just can't shake the feeling that I ruined my new pc. I'm using it now and everything seems fine other than a driver installation problem. Will my cpu be ok?

icyicy

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2008
You shouldn't worry about it.
When the CPU overheats the PC should shut down automatically long before it reaches a temperature high enough to cause damage.
You would have to override that setting in your BIOS then leave it running for a long period of time at unacceptable temperatures to damage it.

cliffro

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2007
I have an E2160 sitting in a box i thought I damaged...and I may have, just not enough to degrade performance, but it definitely will not reach the OC it did, before I did the exact same thing you did....although my settings were off(EIST and C1E or whatever its called)..... mine hit 90+c may even have hit higher 100+ i cant remember....

all because my cooler refused to attach properly with the motherboard still in the case....LOL I had to make an emergency trip to Radio Shack for AS5. IT worked still but like I said earlier it wouldnt OC like before...3.2ghz was no longer achievable.

My Cooler was literally dangling from the socket....held in place by 1 pushpin.

Anyway thats why I ended up buying my E3110...