AHCI showing as IDE

I'm usually pretty competent, but can't seem to figure this out.

System:

Windows Home Server
Q8200
Gigabyte UD3R - P45
4 x 1GB DDR2 1066
WD 640GB Black HDD (OS)
Samsung 1.5TB F2EG drives (x6)

I've got a hot-swap drive bay in my Windows Home Server. I've got the OS drive attached to one of two SATA ports from the Gigabyte controller ports and the hot-swap drives attached to the ICH10R controller. I installed the drivers (Intel Matrix), rebooted, and enabled AHCI, but when I go to Computer Management, it still shows the Samsung drives as IDE.

Is this normal? Will I still be able to hot-swap them? Do I need to do something else?

Thanks in advance for your help.
3 answers Last reply
More about ahci showing
  1. No one yet...that's OK. If anyone has anything similar or any information that could lead me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks
  2. I looked into ACHI also...but from what I understand it's how the data is written onto the harddrive that's different. Data is written in a pattern that is more efficient so the mechanical arm retrieves more data on a given swipe. So you have to format as ACHI, not just switch over.
  3. The good thing is that it's on a data drive and not the OS, so booting won't be an issue.

Yeah, I think AHCI has benefits of hot-swap and NCQ.

Thanks for the response...still trying to figure out why it's displaying that way.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Storage