Its here!! New Notebook!!

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Formatting the 40G right now.

Check it:

2GHz, 256MB DDR, Dual Opticals with DVD and cdrw, floppy, firewire, 15" screen, ac or dc power, li-ion, and the usual other notebook stuff...oh yeah and a free 2GB pcmcia hd too.

Yeah she is a bit heavy, yeah battery life is gonna suck, yeah it puts out some heat, but it has like 3 fans to keep it cool.

Got it for under $1900.00 with no OS (screw M$) I already paid for an OS once. I don't think Bill really need my money anyway.

Give me fuel, give me fire, give me that which I desire.

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Update:

She is up and running great. I really like her. Video is awesome on the 15" with the ati radeon 7500/64. Battery life is not great but better then I expected. The batteries last longer then on my old cel400 LT (about an hour and a half). The burner is better then expected too. It runs 8x and seems to have buffer underrun protection. The extra weight is not bothering me at all. Star Office came with for free and works almost just like Word, spell check and all.

It looks like Tiger Direct is selling the same PC under the Vision name for quite a bit ore then I paid for mine.

Nit picks:

The case sucks. The old cel400 had a nice case with semi rigid sides. The new 2G's case has really short soft sides and the Laptop needs to be "tucked in" before you can zip it up. Also the old case had velcro on the extra pocket that was really quick to open and close, while the new one has dual zippers that take a little longer.

The volume and brightness are on the keyboard and I haven't figured out how to work the volume yet. I'd rather have a thumbwheel/slider like the old one had.

The old laptop had a lcd that showed stuff like disk access and battery life. The new one has leds for some of those functions but lacks a hardware battery monitor display. It does monitor batt life with software.

So far I like it overall. Runs good and runs fast.

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yep! Got mine at <A HREF="http://www.mobileperipherals.com" target="_new">http://www.mobileperipherals.com</A>

Have you got a link to 3dmark?

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
27% done downloading 3dmark. What type of settings do you want me to use and what is a good score?

PS got the volume thing figured out. Brightness worked with no extra drivers but volume required installing the supplied hotkey drivers.

Give me fuel, give me fire, give me that which I desire.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by lakedude on 06/12/02 08:33 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
without shutting anything in the background off I got a 4571 3dmarks. Running again with everything shut off but explorer and the ati stuff I got a 4564 3dmarks???

1024 by 768, carchase low 71.5fps, high 34, dragothic lo 68.3, hi 41.3, lobby lo 84.6, hi 40.6, single texture fill 333.9MTex/s, multi 947.2 MTex/s, HPC one lite 16.3MTri/s, 8 lites 3.7 Mtri/s, E bump map 83.4fps, dot3 bump map 50.3 fps, vertex shader 42 fps, point sprites .3 Msprites/s

Howd I do?

Skull_Angel

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2001
Those are very good benchmark scores. Nowhere near what a desktop with a Geforce 4 would get but I know you weren't expecting that. I think those are the highest I've seen posted for a laptop. In short you would have no problems playing most games out today.

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Looks like you got me beat. I'm running 256MB and the ATI card with a 2GHz cpu. What do you think makes the difference? The vid card or the ram? If I can't beat you on 3dmarks maybe I can on price. I paid $1880.00 delivered what did you pay?

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Ok riddle me this:

I've got a 2GHz, ati radeon 7500/64 with 256MB ddr running 98se

My friend has a Toshiba with a 1.6Ghz, ati radeon <font color=red>[edit](not 7500)[/edit]</font color=red>/16 and 256MB ddr running xp

I scored around 4500 in 3dmark and I figured he would score around 3700 but instead he got 1620. Why so slow?

Give me fuel, give me fire, give me that which I desire.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by lakedude on 06/14/02 08:06 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

iRonLung

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2002
WOW~!!! SO much needed info~!! thanks to everyone for your posts, especially lakedude.

Lakedude, 4571 on your 3dmark score is about the same as my friends sager (p4-1.8, ati 7500).

The highest benchmark iv'e seen for a laptop is around 5600. That's par with my desktop- 5506 (AthlonXP 1700,
Geforce2 TI).

Also Lakedude, your friend prolly has the previous radeon on his toshiba (not 7500).

Pieguy, how much you spend on your laptop, how's the battery life, and how did you get 1000 more points with a weaker CPU ?(your thoughts on that madder would be apreciated).

Lastly, lakedude, how's the battery life on your Laptop, did you get another battery for the modular bay?

thankseveryone

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yeah my buddies is a radeon but it is the lessor version. I guess that makes a huge difference.

Depending on what you are doing batt life is around one hour. On batts my laptop gets around 2700 3dmarks. I didn't realize that mine had any energy saving features. I thought that since it had a desktop cpu that it would run the same on ac or batts but something is going on to lower the 3d marks from 4500 to 2700.

I didn't get an extra battery because I'm never anywhere without power. I did get a dc adapter for the car (which is kinda cheesy because it is an inverter that puts out 115ac) and I did get a second optical drive which is great for copying cds.

I noticed that you geforce guys skip test 4 Nature on 3dmark due to lack of hardware support. My Radeon skips this test too, so my question is who can run it if not nVidia or ati?

Notice: I think that my laptop is a great value for the money but it is heavy and batt life sucks so it is not for everyone. People badmouth Sager/prostar but I have had very good luck with their products for a very long time (since p1 166MHz was the bomb). I'll post again in a year or so an give a long term durability update. The 166 is still going strong BTW.

Skull_Angel

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2001
As far as I know there are no mobile graphics chipsets that can run test 4 Nature on 3D mark if the Geforce 4go or the 7500 Mobility Radeon can't run it. I'm pretty sure the 7500 Radeon reduces performance on battery power.

lakedude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Been playing Return to Castle Wolfenstein and game play is pretty good but not perfect. At 1024 by 768 game play is attractive with plenty of detail. Gameplay is smooth for a while but pauses when you go somewhere new or when new things come into view. This is very likely a HD thing. If you are picky about such things you might want to look for a faster HD. The pauses come at the worst times, just when there is something new to shoot the screen pauses for a few fractions of a second.