Cd/dvd driver for win 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

hoozdaar

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
my win7 rc install stopped with a message it needs a cd/dvd rom driver. I can't find one for "vista or 7". does not recognize cdrom.sys or anything from my xp disk. any help appreciated

Solution
Imo sounds like a bad dvd burn i would burn the dvd again and see how it goes. I'm assuming you're able to install it you see the progress bar then is promted for the file right?

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
Imo sounds like a bad dvd burn i would burn the dvd again and see how it goes. I'm assuming you're able to install it you see the progress bar then is promted for the file right?

Solution

hoozdaar

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
Thank you for the responses. I tried re-burning and that did not work. After much frustration, I decided to re-download and low and behold the new download is twice as big as the first one: 2.4G vs 1.2G. I burned this one and I've had no problems with the install. Amazing the difference having all the code will make.

madwand1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2009
I'm getting the same message. It won't proceed after telling me drivers are missing.

"A required CD/DVD device driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVDm or USB flash drive, please insert it now. Note. If the windows installation media is in the drive, you can safely remove it for this step."

My download is 3.04G.

earlier today, I tried to install build 7100 before I knew the RC was out. It would never get much farther than asking me where to install. A few minutes in, it was saying drivers were missing. Then that left me with the dreaded BOOTMGR error.

All this was on a brand new build. Now I'm sitting here looking at $1200 worth of crap I can run.

madwand1, I really do not mean to sound sarcastic, I really don't, but you are trying to run a beta version of an operating system (an RC is still a beta version) on beta hardware (a newly built, untested system) and you are upset because the freakin' thing doesn't work?

Sigh. Maybe I did mean to sound sarcastic.

All right. Now that I have vented, let me apologize. The purpose of releasing RC's is do a final beta, not on the "typical" hardware that MS tested it with, but on all of the "nonstandard" configurations that many of us have. It really was not intended to be a free OS for builders.

On the other hand, what is a new builder going to do? If he has an old copy of XP, he can use it. Only other choice is to buy a copy of Vista, knowing that in 6 months or so, he will need to upgrade or to risk using a beta OS until Win7 is released.

I have several computers (all running XP :) ), so for me, using one to beta test software is not a problem. Many do not have that luxury. A few minutes ago, I forgot that.

So, again, madwand1, my apologies.

yet if he is depending on the windows 7 RC for an OS for a new pc he will run into the same problem next year when it expires. dude i really see no reason for apologizing to this newb because he expects his PC to work with a OS that still in testing. dude just bite the bullet and get a finalized copy of windows or Linux or whatever. god know it sounds like his first time he ever built a computer

Your (presumably torrented) copy of Win 7 is corrupt. From a working computer, please go to http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/download.aspx download/burn a proper .iso and try again.

madwand1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2009
Ahh, one guy on this thread who's not a total jackass. I figured it out yesterday that the problem definitely was a bad burn. And no, my copy was not torrented. Why would I use a torrent when it was released last Tuesday? Though I didn't figure it out here at this real helpful site where everyone is so helpful and has so much useful info to share.

You're right, I don't know why I would expect a brand new 64 bit system to work with a brand new 64 bit software that has been tested to the point that it's ready for release. I should have waited til next year to buy the program, knowing that by then, whatever was wrong with it would have been fixed.

Except that it wouldn't have been. And I was right to ask. Just not right to ask here. You guys oughta post a sticky on the main page saying if it's been a while since you built a PC, or if you never have, then stay the hell away because we don't wanna help. An apology's not very sincere when you purposely leave the hateful comments up instead of merely deleting them as could have been done.

Or maybe, a more useful solution would be if you don't know the correct answer to a question, why don't you just shut up and keep your stupid sarcastic moronic comments to yourself. But then what would you do for fun?

G

I had the same problem with Vista [not a downloaded DVD but a proper, pukka bought one] which couldn't load from my new SATA DVD drive in my new rig. Plugged in the old IDE DVD from my old heap, installed from that, now Vista runs just fine on the new one WITH JUST THE SATA DRIVE INSTALLED, so the driver must have been available anyway.
Downloaded Win7 32 bit RC, loaded it on my old rig as a try-out [same old trust IDE DVD burner], no worries. Thought I'd try it on the laptop as an experiment, NO CD/DVD DRIVER, right after hitting the "Install" button.

This isn't "bad burning" or "you try an RC you take your chances", this is just piss-poor product from Seattle.

And the supercilious comments from you smart-asses to the madwand just show you up as sad acts.

Bullheaded67

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
Hang on guys, I just built a system and went straight to 7077 then upgraded to 7100 when it was released to public. If he is using new hardware that is within normal perameters he should be able to do the build with no problems. He will certainly have to know what drivers to look for etc, but don't condemn someone for being willing to use a beta or RC OS if they acknowledge the risks inherent in doing so.

The attitudes on both sides in this thread are another issue entirely.

htintin

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
You're right man, same problem, brand new system, no system installed, try windows 7 ... cdrom driver not found ??? wtf how did it get so far, it was from the dvd, i'm not crazy ? and now he need a driver ??... explain me how microsoft build their products ... and this forum wasn't very helpful

Please note that the OP's issue was answered/handled above - The problem was a bad burn/corrupted file. The OP corrected this and now has a working computer.

IMHO, it would go a long way towards making this forum would be a better place if people read the whole thread.

htintin

Distinguished
May 13, 2009
I've seen, for madweg it's ok .. but not for me, and i don't think i'm alone, burned multiple time, tried with different dvd drives, redownload 3 times, ever the same problem ... i think i will wait for the retail version ; )

kvo_63

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
Hello
I am try to load the nee OS for my Laptop, but DOS (MSCDEX and MSCD001 not valid) did not see the the SATA DVD Drive. can you please help me to find the new dos driver for SATA DVD Drive.
thank you

crazyman62

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009
im also having the issue of the DVD drivers missing
But i made the mistake of formatting my drive before installing.

i have done Many downloads on different DVD brands slow burn and still the same issue.
i had it working at one time by plugging in a portable CD drive and installing with that BUT i do not have it at this time.
is there anything i can do to help with the issue.

and when windows was running everytime i would put in a dvd and explorer windows would freeze
BUT
if i booted with a disc in it, windows wouldent have a problem reading it

ii static ii

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
Chances are if you don't have the mental capacity to brainstorm about something missing from a cd, then you will be back at this forum in a couple of weeks. It's not that hard to realize that either the .iso is incomplete or you burned it wrong. So now that you have your answer you may want to save yourself some trouble for next time you need help and not burn such a helpful bridge. You did find your answer here and then you insult it?

Now, do I agree that other posters should not have been sarcastic? Absolutely. BUT, they are not being brats and just taking from the forum, they are giving back and reading pages and pages of what people like you call "real problems" and using their leisure time to help you solve a problem and all you can do is boo hoo about how mean he was to you. Even if they do come off rude, you're still getting the help you so desperately need.

So you needed this reality check MadWand1. You are installing an OS, so I can safely assume you are at least 5 years old. So there's no need for the waterworks.

In any event, the next time you have a problem and think the world is about to collapse into itself, you remember how horrible this forum was to you by solving your problem and steer clear. We wouldn't want you to ruin your make-up again.

Have a great day!

Note: I do not think all people who need help have low mental capacity, just this fellow.

Ryan_R

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2007
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I've had similar issues and can contribute extra info to this.

My self built system used to have one old IDE DVD Burner and an ASUS SATA DVD Burner. Both drives worked fine in XP, Vista Ultime, and Vista Ultimate x64. When I replaced Vista with 7 RC1, I noticed that while the IDE drive shows up in My Computer, I can't read any discs at all. I tried deleteing the UpperLimits/LowerLimits reg key, and tried updating the firmware via the Pioneer support website, with no difference.

I recently upgraded HDDs and needed to reinstall Windows 7. I also added a new Samsung SATA DVD burner in case the IDE one was faulty. So I've got 3 Burners installed now.

I lost my old RC1 disc so I downloaded it again and burnt it to DVD, and tried to boot from it in the IDE drive, to see if it really was dead. The DVD booted ok, up until the point where I received the same error as mentioned above. I took the disc out of the IDE drive and stuck it in one of the SATA drives and setup continued fine without a hitch.

That said, I have installed RC1 from the same old disc on an older PC which also uses IDE and that drive worked fine, so I'm not too sure what's going on. Hopefully it's just a bug that has been fixed in the RTM version.

If anyone else is stuck with this but doesn't have another DVD drive, they could search Google for the steps to use a USB thumb drive to install Windows 7/Vista.

G

You have to update the firmware for your DVD drive. I had same problem and I flash DVD drive with new firmware and it all worked fine. It was Dell D620 with Philip's DVD-ROM

Spagg

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009

Captaincharisma, show some charisma you jumped up tit. If you don't know the answer to a question then shut your mouth and refrain from ad-hominem attacks on people genuinely requiring help.

Spagg

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009

Another tit. How many jumped up morons are there on this forum? Incredible.

earthbound

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2009
I googled for this problem and found this page so I thought I'd add my experiences.

I'm installing Windows 7 Professional, bought from Amazon, on an Acer L100 unmdofied machine and I get this same error.

Windows 7 Installer is demanding a driver for a bog standrard DVD drive, the very same DVD drive that Windows 7 Installer just loaded itself from - CRAZY. Even crazier is that Windows 7 Installer program suggests that I provide the 'missing drivers' on a DVD disc and insert it into the DVD drive Windows 7 claims it cannot work with. How is that sane?

I was doing this for a friend, I was giving him my old Acer PC that I don't use any more. I switched to Mac last year - boy am I happy :) :) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.