Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Cd/dvd driver for win 7

Last response: in Windows 7
May 5, 2009 10:09:09 PM

my win7 rc install stopped with a message it needs a cd/dvd rom driver. I can't find one for "vista or 7". does not recognize cdrom.sys or anything from my xp disk. any help appreciated

More about : dvd driver win

Best solution

May 6, 2009 12:14:41 AM

Imo sounds like a bad dvd burn i would burn the dvd again and see how it goes. I'm assuming you're able to install it you see the progress bar then is promted for the file right?
May 6, 2009 8:02:57 AM

Not just him, I downloaded the iso from ms yesterday and same issue, multiple burns, same issue. Tried on 2 diff pc's so far, same issue. They cant have stuffed the RC? can they?
Score
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
May 6, 2009 4:57:03 PM

did you guys burn the iso on the disk at a slow speed?
Score
May 6, 2009 8:46:43 PM

Thank you for the responses. I tried re-burning and that did not work. After much frustration, I decided to re-download and low and behold the new download is twice as big as the first one: 2.4G vs 1.2G. I burned this one and I've had no problems with the install. Amazing the difference having all the code will make.
Score
May 7, 2009 6:21:14 AM

I'm getting the same message. It won't proceed after telling me drivers are missing.

"A required CD/DVD device driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVDm or USB flash drive, please insert it now. Note. If the windows installation media is in the drive, you can safely remove it for this step."

My download is 3.04G.

earlier today, I tried to install build 7100 before I knew the RC was out. It would never get much farther than asking me where to install. A few minutes in, it was saying drivers were missing. Then that left me with the dreaded BOOTMGR error.

All this was on a brand new build. Now I'm sitting here looking at $1200 worth of crap I can run.
Score
May 7, 2009 8:55:20 AM

madwand1, I really do not mean to sound sarcastic, I really don't, but you are trying to run a beta version of an operating system (an RC is still a beta version) on beta hardware (a newly built, untested system) and you are upset because the freakin' thing doesn't work?

Sigh. Maybe I did mean to sound sarcastic.
Score
May 7, 2009 9:28:11 AM

All right. Now that I have vented, let me apologize. The purpose of releasing RC's is do a final beta, not on the "typical" hardware that MS tested it with, but on all of the "nonstandard" configurations that many of us have. It really was not intended to be a free OS for builders.

On the other hand, what is a new builder going to do? If he has an old copy of XP, he can use it. Only other choice is to buy a copy of Vista, knowing that in 6 months or so, he will need to upgrade or to risk using a beta OS until Win7 is released.

I have several computers (all running XP :)  ), so for me, using one to beta test software is not a problem. Many do not have that luxury. A few minutes ago, I forgot that.

So, again, madwand1, my apologies.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
May 7, 2009 12:40:26 PM

yet if he is depending on the windows 7 RC for an OS for a new pc he will run into the same problem next year when it expires. dude i really see no reason for apologizing to this newb because he expects his PC to work with a OS that still in testing. dude just bite the bullet and get a finalized copy of windows or Linux or whatever. god know it sounds like his first time he ever built a computer
Score
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
May 7, 2009 12:45:23 PM

madwand1 said:
I'm getting the same message. It won't proceed after telling me drivers are missing.

"A required CD/DVD device driver is missing. If you have a driver floppy disk, CD, DVDm or USB flash drive, please insert it now. Note. If the windows installation media is in the drive, you can safely remove it for this step."

My download is 3.04G.

earlier today, I tried to install build 7100 before I knew the RC was out. It would never get much farther than asking me where to install. A few minutes in, it was saying drivers were missing. Then that left me with the dreaded BOOTMGR error.

All this was on a brand new build. Now I'm sitting here looking at $1200 worth of crap I can run.

Your (presumably torrented) copy of Win 7 is corrupt. From a working computer, please go to http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/download.asp... download/burn a proper .iso and try again.
Score
May 7, 2009 5:02:21 PM

Ahh, one guy on this thread who's not a total jackass. I figured it out yesterday that the problem definitely was a bad burn. And no, my copy was not torrented. Why would I use a torrent when it was released last Tuesday? Though I didn't figure it out here at this real helpful site where everyone is so helpful and has so much useful info to share.

You're right, I don't know why I would expect a brand new 64 bit system to work with a brand new 64 bit software that has been tested to the point that it's ready for release. I should have waited til next year to buy the program, knowing that by then, whatever was wrong with it would have been fixed.

Except that it wouldn't have been. And I was right to ask. Just not right to ask here. You guys oughta post a sticky on the main page saying if it's been a while since you built a PC, or if you never have, then stay the hell away because we don't wanna help. An apology's not very sincere when you purposely leave the hateful comments up instead of merely deleting them as could have been done.

Or maybe, a more useful solution would be if you don't know the correct answer to a question, why don't you just shut up and keep your stupid sarcastic moronic comments to yourself. But then what would you do for fun?
Score
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
May 12, 2009 6:26:38 PM

I had the same problem with Vista [not a downloaded DVD but a proper, pukka bought one] which couldn't load from my new SATA DVD drive in my new rig. Plugged in the old IDE DVD from my old heap, installed from that, now Vista runs just fine on the new one WITH JUST THE SATA DRIVE INSTALLED, so the driver must have been available anyway.
Downloaded Win7 32 bit RC, loaded it on my old rig as a try-out [same old trust IDE DVD burner], no worries. Thought I'd try it on the laptop as an experiment, NO CD/DVD DRIVER, right after hitting the "Install" button.

This isn't "bad burning" or "you try an RC you take your chances", this is just piss-poor product from Seattle.

And the supercilious comments from you smart-asses to the madwand just show you up as sad acts.
Score
May 12, 2009 7:10:13 PM

Hang on guys, I just built a system and went straight to 7077 then upgraded to 7100 when it was released to public. If he is using new hardware that is within normal perameters he should be able to do the build with no problems. He will certainly have to know what drivers to look for etc, but don't condemn someone for being willing to use a beta or RC OS if they acknowledge the risks inherent in doing so.

The attitudes on both sides in this thread are another issue entirely.
Score
May 15, 2009 5:39:19 PM

You're right man, same problem, brand new system, no system installed, try windows 7 ... cdrom driver not found ??? wtf how did it get so far, it was from the dvd, i'm not crazy ? and now he need a driver ??... explain me how microsoft build their products ... and this forum wasn't very helpful
Score
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
May 15, 2009 6:11:21 PM

htintin said:
You're right man, same problem, brand new system, no system installed, try windows 7 ... cdrom driver not found ??? wtf how did it get so far, it was from the dvd, i'm not crazy ? and now he need a driver ??... explain me how microsoft build their products ... and this forum wasn't very helpful

Please note that the OP's issue was answered/handled above - The problem was a bad burn/corrupted file. The OP corrected this and now has a working computer.

IMHO, it would go a long way towards making this forum would be a better place if people read the whole thread.
Score
May 15, 2009 6:18:19 PM

I've seen, for madweg it's ok .. but not for me, and i don't think i'm alone, burned multiple time, tried with different dvd drives, redownload 3 times, ever the same problem ... i think i will wait for the retail version ; )
Score
May 25, 2009 10:00:32 PM

Hello
I am try to load the nee OS for my Laptop, but DOS (MSCDEX and MSCD001 not valid) did not see the the SATA DVD Drive. can you please help me to find the new dos driver for SATA DVD Drive.
thank you
Score
August 20, 2009 7:16:43 AM

im also having the issue of the DVD drivers missing
But i made the mistake of formatting my drive before installing.

i have done Many downloads on different DVD brands slow burn and still the same issue.
i had it working at one time by plugging in a portable CD drive and installing with that BUT i do not have it at this time.
is there anything i can do to help with the issue.

and when windows was running everytime i would put in a dvd and explorer windows would freeze
BUT
if i booted with a disc in it, windows wouldent have a problem reading it

Score
September 8, 2009 3:13:14 PM

Chances are if you don't have the mental capacity to brainstorm about something missing from a cd, then you will be back at this forum in a couple of weeks. It's not that hard to realize that either the .iso is incomplete or you burned it wrong. So now that you have your answer you may want to save yourself some trouble for next time you need help and not burn such a helpful bridge. You did find your answer here and then you insult it?

Now, do I agree that other posters should not have been sarcastic? Absolutely. BUT, they are not being brats and just taking from the forum, they are giving back and reading pages and pages of what people like you call "real problems" and using their leisure time to help you solve a problem and all you can do is boo hoo about how mean he was to you. Even if they do come off rude, you're still getting the help you so desperately need.

So you needed this reality check MadWand1. You are installing an OS, so I can safely assume you are at least 5 years old. So there's no need for the waterworks.

In any event, the next time you have a problem and think the world is about to collapse into itself, you remember how horrible this forum was to you by solving your problem and steer clear. We wouldn't want you to ruin your make-up again.

Have a great day!

Note: I do not think all people who need help have low mental capacity, just this fellow.

madwand1 said:
Ahh, one guy on this thread who's not a total jackass. I figured it out yesterday that the problem definitely was a bad burn. And no, my copy was not torrented. Why would I use a torrent when it was released last Tuesday? Though I didn't figure it out here at this real helpful site where everyone is so helpful and has so much useful info to share.

You're right, I don't know why I would expect a brand new 64 bit system to work with a brand new 64 bit software that has been tested to the point that it's ready for release. I should have waited til next year to buy the program, knowing that by then, whatever was wrong with it would have been fixed.

Except that it wouldn't have been. And I was right to ask. Just not right to ask here. You guys oughta post a sticky on the main page saying if it's been a while since you built a PC, or if you never have, then stay the hell away because we don't wanna help. An apology's not very sincere when you purposely leave the hateful comments up instead of merely deleting them as could have been done.

Or maybe, a more useful solution would be if you don't know the correct answer to a question, why don't you just shut up and keep your stupid sarcastic moronic comments to yourself. But then what would you do for fun?

Score
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
September 8, 2009 3:37:30 PM

Static... wasn't necessary to add a comment 4 months after the fact. But thanks anyways.
Score
September 19, 2009 1:21:33 AM

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I've had similar issues and can contribute extra info to this.

My self built system used to have one old IDE DVD Burner and an ASUS SATA DVD Burner. Both drives worked fine in XP, Vista Ultime, and Vista Ultimate x64. When I replaced Vista with 7 RC1, I noticed that while the IDE drive shows up in My Computer, I can't read any discs at all. I tried deleteing the UpperLimits/LowerLimits reg key, and tried updating the firmware via the Pioneer support website, with no difference.

I recently upgraded HDDs and needed to reinstall Windows 7. I also added a new Samsung SATA DVD burner in case the IDE one was faulty. So I've got 3 Burners installed now.

I lost my old RC1 disc so I downloaded it again and burnt it to DVD, and tried to boot from it in the IDE drive, to see if it really was dead. The DVD booted ok, up until the point where I received the same error as mentioned above. I took the disc out of the IDE drive and stuck it in one of the SATA drives and setup continued fine without a hitch.

That said, I have installed RC1 from the same old disc on an older PC which also uses IDE and that drive worked fine, so I'm not too sure what's going on. Hopefully it's just a bug that has been fixed in the RTM version.

If anyone else is stuck with this but doesn't have another DVD drive, they could search Google for the steps to use a USB thumb drive to install Windows 7/Vista.
Score
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
October 8, 2009 2:51:31 AM

You have to update the firmware for your DVD drive. I had same problem and I flash DVD drive with new firmware and it all worked fine. It was Dell D620 with Philip's DVD-ROM
Score
October 23, 2009 9:41:05 PM

captaincharisma said:
yet if he is depending on the windows 7 RC for an OS for a new pc he will run into the same problem next year when it expires. dude i really see no reason for apologizing to this newb because he expects his PC to work with a OS that still in testing. dude just bite the bullet and get a finalized copy of windows or Linux or whatever. god know it sounds like his first time he ever built a computer

Captaincharisma, show some charisma you jumped up tit. If you don't know the answer to a question then shut your mouth and refrain from ad-hominem attacks on people genuinely requiring help.
Score
October 23, 2009 9:44:57 PM

ii static ii said:
Chances are if you don't have the mental capacity to brainstorm about something missing from a cd, then you will be back at this forum in a couple of weeks. It's not that hard to realize that either the .iso is incomplete or you burned it wrong. So now that you have your answer you may want to save yourself some trouble for next time you need help and not burn such a helpful bridge. You did find your answer here and then you insult it?

Now, do I agree that other posters should not have been sarcastic? Absolutely. BUT, they are not being brats and just taking from the forum, they are giving back and reading pages and pages of what people like you call "real problems" and using their leisure time to help you solve a problem and all you can do is boo hoo about how mean he was to you. Even if they do come off rude, you're still getting the help you so desperately need.

So you needed this reality check MadWand1. You are installing an OS, so I can safely assume you are at least 5 years old. So there's no need for the waterworks.

In any event, the next time you have a problem and think the world is about to collapse into itself, you remember how horrible this forum was to you by solving your problem and steer clear. We wouldn't want you to ruin your make-up again.

Have a great day!

Note: I do not think all people who need help have low mental capacity, just this fellow.

Another tit. How many jumped up morons are there on this forum? Incredible.
Score
October 25, 2009 7:22:31 PM

I googled for this problem and found this page so I thought I'd add my experiences.

I'm installing Windows 7 Professional, bought from Amazon, on an Acer L100 unmdofied machine and I get this same error.

Windows 7 Installer is demanding a driver for a bog standrard DVD drive, the very same DVD drive that Windows 7 Installer just loaded itself from - CRAZY. Even crazier is that Windows 7 Installer program suggests that I provide the 'missing drivers' on a DVD disc and insert it into the DVD drive Windows 7 claims it cannot work with. How is that sane?

I was doing this for a friend, I was giving him my old Acer PC that I don't use any more. I switched to Mac last year - boy am I happy :)  :)  :) 
Score
October 27, 2009 12:48:28 AM

I too am having this problem while installing windows 7(bought from best buy). Before when i was installing the rc i also had this problem, to fix it i had to run the installer from within vista that worked, but this time around i wiped my vista partition before installing so it looks like i might have to reinstall vista and then install windows 7 over that. It's a lot more work than i should have to do, i hope microsoft gets a fix out for it(although i have no idea how you would do that since the discs are actually shipped).
Score
a b $ Windows 7
October 27, 2009 1:36:36 AM

In order for the upgrade to work you MUST have a previous qualifying version of Windows installed and activated. (Vista or XP). Now you didn't specify if you had an OEM or Upgrade... but looking at your problem, I think it's safe to assume you bought the upgrade.
Score
October 28, 2009 11:11:46 PM

I bought the Windows 7 Home Premium family pack. Am trying to do a clean install from vista 32 bit home premium. Am getting the same "load driver" missing cd/dvd driver error. have been on the phone with MS support for 3 days. aside from having to start over almost every time...they have not resolved the situation. my specifics are this...the 32 bit disc works fine in my gateway quad core 2.4 4gb memory etc desktop. the 64 bit disc works in my hp mediocre laptop. the 64 bit disc does not work in my desktop. gets the driver error message.
Score
October 29, 2009 10:20:35 PM

Running into the same issue on a Gateway PC. (It's a pretty current Quad core machine). Tried to do a fresh install from the Windows 7 pro disk that shipped from the Microsoft Partner program. Getting a CD/DVD error that, depending on who you listen to, is a chipset issue, a DVD issue, etc. IMHO this is inexcusable. 15 years of building PC's and I've never seen anybody do this. MS is litterally shipping coasters to thousands of people.
Score
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
October 30, 2009 1:36:11 AM

Just throwing my report in too :) 

Trying to install Windows 7 x64 on a Gateway quad core (like the two above) and get the same error. Tried extracting the drivers from Gateway to a USB drive, setup sees them, but says none of them are the right ones.

And like the above poster, I too have spent many years doing this, and have never had this problem. Even back in the old PCI SCSI RAID card days and Windows 2000...
Score
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
October 30, 2009 11:21:13 PM

Well, I talked to Microsoft for a few hours (HOURS!) and the solution was one that I saw floating around on the net: install Windows 7 from a USB drive.

It's pretty easy to do, installs really fast, but is kind of a pain in the ass (this IS why we buy the files on installation media, Microsoft!). Just Google "installing Windows from a USB drive" and follow the drive to partition (at least) a 4GB drive, copy the files from the Win7 DVD, and how to configure your system to boot it. Good luck!
Score
November 1, 2009 1:50:01 AM

I HAVE THE SOLUTION

Do you have a laptop?
I do.

Even if you don't, I think the problem is overheating. Try keeping a fan near or under your cpu/laptop.

I re-installed 3 times and failed before i realized that everytime the laptop heated more than a certain level, the installation would stop and declare that there was no CD/DVD drive.
Score
November 11, 2009 3:47:37 PM

I have the same problem. The driver is needed when I'm reinstalling Windows 7 Home Premium Box on my Desktop PC.
Does anyone have that drivers?
Score
November 18, 2009 5:12:00 AM

Windows 7 either doesn't contain the necessary drivers for the CD/DVD drive or the drivers are not signed and that is a major glitch. Expect this to be corrected in the next service pack.

I ran into this problem as well where I couldn't start installation until I found these drivers. One way to get past this problem is to first backup everything you want to keep and format your hard drive with a Windows XP installation disc or from another computer.

Then install Windows XP. After XP is installed, run the Windows 7 installation disc from your fresh XP desktop and choose not to upgrade.

All the Windows 7 files will then be copied by XP who seems to trust your PC components better than Win 7 and installation shall complete on it's own.
Score
November 18, 2009 7:30:22 AM

I have a solution for my problem.
Windows 7 doesn't recognize IDE-to-SATA converters correctly, that's why I haven't got my DVD writer recognized by Windows 7.
I need to buy a new DVD writer with SATA port.
Score
November 20, 2009 10:02:20 PM

I have been having the missing driver problem and after spending HOURS on the phone with microsoft tech support, I hung up on them and fiddled some more. I finally was able to install the Jmicron driver from my mobo floppy disk which I swear I had tried about 10 times, and it moved on to the next screen and I am currently installing as normal.

I have an IDE plextor 760A dvdrw and SATA HDDs. Maybe you just have to try it 10 times in a row before windows lets you move on with your life.

Hopefully this helps somebody. I was using the retail home premium btw.
Score
a b $ Windows 7
November 20, 2009 10:16:11 PM

No issues at all with an IDE DVD writer and SATA hard drives here...
Score
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
November 24, 2009 11:06:24 AM

I also had this problem:

I started from an ISO image, burned the DVD and got the error:
Windows 7 Installation asks for CD/DVD driver, never finds it, only solution is to stop the installation.

For me this was the solution:

My DVD burning software offers 2 modes: “Mode 1” and “Mode 2 / XA”.
When I burned the DVD in Mode 2 / XA it works.
Score
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
November 30, 2009 11:28:07 PM

I had the same problem inst Win7-64bit on an X200 Lenovo. After reading through all these posts (rants and raves), I re-burned my ISO at the slowest speed and everything kicked off fine. Thanks everyone for your posts.
Score
December 5, 2009 3:33:47 PM

Having the same issue over here with a new Gateway P-7908u. I, like a few have been building machines for many many years (run my own IT company), remember when TH was a couple pages big.....

but I digress......

trying to install the 64bit version of win7 as downloaded from my Microsoft Partner Program. Attempting to install onto a samsung 64GB ssd (MCCOE64G8MPP-0VA, 1.8" 3.3v SSD)

every time the OS install kicks off i get the exact same cd/dvd device driver error. The Gateway BIOS sees the damn SSD drive as a bootable option, yet the OS during install fails every time right there in the beginning when i am looking to select the drive in which it will be installed.

swapping in my secondary 500gb 7200rpm seagate drive, making it the primary........OS install sees it fine and will allow me to allocate it as the install drive....

I am going to go though some of the suggestions here, however i did not see anyone have the same KIND of issue i am having regarding the hardware configuration.

anyone else getting this device driver issue when installing onto an ssd? and what, if any was your solution?

Thank you in advance for any direction....years and years of doing this, and the best advice i have been given so far was from an old college buddy who said

"well, you need to go into your autoexec.bat and type the following"
'LH=MSCDEX.EXE 1024'

we both laughed at this.......but i AM getting a bit frustrated at this point, this SSD will make a screaming fast OS drive, and seeing it the BIOS, im missing something stupid because my eyes are too close to it at this point....fresh perspective would be appreciated, thank you again

-Andrew

**EDIT**

attempting to install XP first, the OS will not find the SSD as a mass storage device. This is getting to where I was thinking there was a problem, anyone have any idea what kind of 3rd party or samsung controller i may need?

thank you in advance again, for any help and direction

**EDIT2**

64bit winxp installed after changing mass storage controller mode to IDE from ACHI (i assumed this may be the solution for win7, but the OS still didnt see the SSD). Installed xp fine, now able to install win7 64bit...

In the meantime I did locate the latest Intel ACHI controllers that were dropped to the public recently (intel_matrix_storage_manager_v8711001.zip 22MB). I have a second matching one of these ssds, and after this install is done, I will verify if i am able to have the second ssd in the BIOS setup as ACHI and then browse to the controller driver during a fresh clean install of Win7.

at the moment, i consider this a workaround solution.
Score
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
December 23, 2009 1:26:26 PM

I was having the same issue, downloaded an iso from msdn, burned to disc, tried installing on my Dell M6400 laptop, install button gives error stating that a required CD/DVD driver was missing. I downloaded every driver I could think of from Dell including updating firmware, sata controllers etc ...

I came into work and asked one of our techs if he had a known good working copy of Windows 7, he did, it was burnt onto the same dvr+'s I was using, popped it in, it installed with no troubles ...

I think most of these are bad downloads from m$ or wherever they are getting them. I'd be willing to bet that they aren't having issues with store-bought copies ...
Score
December 26, 2009 3:31:19 PM

Have store bought disc that is giving me the same missing driver message. I have not been able to find the driver though and have not figured how to copy the existing one. I was able to upgrade to win 7 32 bit with no problems. MS has a lot of nerve charging 300 for a flawed product.
Score
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
December 29, 2009 2:13:57 AM

My windows 7 came with my pc. after some updates, it never started normally. i need to reinstall it but no device drivers found. what should i do?
Score
December 29, 2009 7:20:00 AM

Have solved problem. Apparentely there are dvd burners and hardrives that are not 64 bit compatible. MS has a win7 compatability list at their site. Changed out dvd burner for el cheapo (30$) sata model and voila! Luck be ya'll.
Score
February 6, 2010 12:53:18 PM

I figured it out and it was easier that I thought. I am installing Windows 7 64 over Vista 32, using the store-bought version....not a downoad.

I upgraded the bios. If you have a Gigabyte mobo, use the free @Bios program from the Gigabyte website to updgrade the bios. After I did that, and reboot, I wnet straight to the install disk, and now, as I speak, it is installing!

I tried everything you frustrated folks did, including downloading the CD/DVD driver, and updating the SATA drivers.

Who know, it could be a combination of all those things, but it started to install after I upgraded the bios. Could be a Gigabyte issue!

Good luck
Score
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
February 18, 2010 9:02:50 AM

Ha! you guys are the biggest nerds
Score
Anonymous
a b \ Driver
a b $ Windows 7
February 28, 2010 2:14:58 PM

All of the people yelling at him and telling him its a bad burn need to STFU because you ARE WRONG!

There is a known issue with the Windows 7 (x64) installer. First of all, this installer does not run in 16 bit mode like older XP installers so it needs a different driver than the good old IOATAPI.SYS. What happens is when the windows installer OS (not the Windows 7 OS installeed on a hard drive but the pre-boot environment) has a problem when BIOS reports SATA is the primary boot controller and you are trying to install from IDE DVD-ROM. You will be able to boot the Windows 7 installer DVD from the IDE DVD-ROM but after it gets to scanning your hard drives/install media, you will be prompted for the drivers for the IDE DVD-ROM. The funny part is that this DVD-ROM will work for booting off of with no OS installed yet and it will work after Windows 7 is installed but it will not work for the Windows 7 installer pre-boot environment. This is called a crap job by Microsoft and its not a bad burn. It's too bad you guys are like my co-workers; 90% of you are idiots that don't know sh!t other than how to make noise and criticize; may you all day painful deaths.

My trick was to temporary install a SATA DVD-ROM to install Windows 7 and then pull the drive after the install. What a PITA.
Score
February 28, 2010 11:43:25 PM

Probably worked when you changed the dvd because your tech's dvd was the 32 & 64 version...

Anyway... i already have a SATA DVD and still doesn't work =/
Score
March 3, 2010 6:05:14 PM

i am having the same problem;

have tried 64bit, 32bit, 2 sata dvd drives, and an IDE drive, all iso's have been burnt at 1x.... nothing works.

its my 3rd download now, direct from MSDN.

running out of ideas... short of buying a 4gb usb drive.

any usefull comments greatly appriaiated, but microsoft should not be releasing this with this issue.

Score
a b $ Windows 7
March 4, 2010 5:52:37 PM

Quote:
All of the people yelling at him and telling him its a bad burn need to STFU because you ARE WRONG!

There is a known issue with the Windows 7 (x64) installer. First of all, this installer does not run in 16 bit mode like older XP installers so it needs a different driver than the good old IOATAPI.SYS. What happens is when the windows installer OS (not the Windows 7 OS installeed on a hard drive but the pre-boot environment) has a problem when BIOS reports SATA is the primary boot controller and you are trying to install from IDE DVD-ROM. You will be able to boot the Windows 7 installer DVD from the IDE DVD-ROM but after it gets to scanning your hard drives/install media, you will be prompted for the drivers for the IDE DVD-ROM. The funny part is that this DVD-ROM will work for booting off of with no OS installed yet and it will work after Windows 7 is installed but it will not work for the Windows 7 installer pre-boot environment. This is called a crap job by Microsoft and its not a bad burn. It's too bad you guys are like my co-workers; 90% of you are idiots that don't know sh!t other than how to make noise and criticize; may you all day painful deaths.

My trick was to temporary install a SATA DVD-ROM to install Windows 7 and then pull the drive after the install. What a PITA.

Sorry to have to tell you, but...

I have 2 SATA hard drives in a RAID0 configuration.

I have 1 IDE DVD RW drive.

Windows 7 installed on my computer with no issues whatsoever.

Now call me an idiot if you like... but I did manage to install Windows 7 without any additional drivers, nor did I have to install a SATA DVD-RW (though I'd like to at some point) to do it. It simply worked. I used a retail upgrade copy to install.
Score
!