Recovery using a disk image

Status
Not open for further replies.

howardp6

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2008
Hello,
I periodically create a disk image of a RAID 1 Volume consisting of two 500 GB SATA drive containing my Windows 7 system and data, and a RAID 0 Volume consisting of of three 320 GB SATA drives containing my Windows Vista. I tried to do a recovery from the disk image, but my VISTA volume does not restore. Is there anyway to restore both volumes? The recovery indicates the both volumes are to be restored, both only the Windows 7 volume is restored. :??:

Solution
you can open the disk image and extract just the data you want,

i do this all the time with my disk images

if your imaging software dosnt support it then there are many free views that will
Let me get this straight. You use Windows 7, as well as Vista? So you dual boot?

What you might have to do is, install one OS, then install the other OS, i forgot which order you have to do it (i think the older OS first, you can search online though). So you would recover the data for Windows 7 while in Windows 7. Then you would have to boot back to Vista to restore the Vista data. AFAIK thats why your recovery for Vista isn't going.

Also what image program are you using to do this? That would help a lot to know.

I could be wrong - anyone with more knowledge chime in.

howardp6

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2008

I am mounting the VHD image of my volume using disk management and extracting all the files to original volume, if that is what you meant.

Status
Not open for further replies.