Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Phenom II 940 Fan Advice

Last response: in CPUs
Share
January 12, 2009 9:24:06 PM

I've been waiting for the Phenom II's for over a year now. When I originally did my build I wanted quad cores but didn't think any of the first phenoms were worth considering so went with an X2 6000+ until the phenom II's came out. Well the day is finally here, mine should arrive in the mail Wednesday. With my X2 the stock cooler wasnt keeping me in a range I liked so I upgraded to an aftermarket ASUS cooler. I'm wondering when I get my 940 should I even bother trying the stock cooler or will my aftermarket ASUS cooler still be a better choice?

The rest of my pc information is below, keep in mind my box can generate alot of heat. I prefer keeping the fans on low (much quieter, can barely tell when my pc is on), but I have a fan controller to ramp them up when I game. Right now my processor idles in the low 40's, average use it runs in the high 40's and tops out under stress in the mid 50's...

Asus M3A32 Deluxe Wifi Motherboard
2x Radeon 4850's (I crossfire when I game but usually have it disabled since I run a 3 monitor setup)
8 Gigs G.Skill DDR2 1066mhz Ram (Upgraded from 4 gigs of Patriot 800mhz two weeks ago in preperation for the P40)
Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt PSU
Hauppauge TV Tuner Card
2x SATA hard drives (1.5 TB and 1 TB)
3x LG 22inch LCD's
3x DVD Burners

More about : phenom 940 fan advice

January 12, 2009 9:35:07 PM

why do you need 2.5TB out of curiosity. But any ways. If you want to overclock the 940 stay with the ASUS cooler.
January 12, 2009 10:28:49 PM

AdioKIP said:
I've been waiting for the Phenom II's for over a year now. When I originally did my build I wanted quad cores but didn't think any of the first phenoms were worth considering so went with an X2 6000+ until the phenom II's came out. Well the day is finally here, mine should arrive in the mail Wednesday. With my X2 the stock cooler wasnt keeping me in a range I liked so I upgraded to an aftermarket ASUS cooler. I'm wondering when I get my 940 should I even bother trying the stock cooler or will my aftermarket ASUS cooler still be a better choice?

The rest of my pc information is below, keep in mind my box can generate alot of heat. I prefer keeping the fans on low (much quieter, can barely tell when my pc is on), but I have a fan controller to ramp them up when I game. Right now my processor idles in the low 40's, average use it runs in the high 40's and tops out under stress in the mid 50's...

Asus M3A32 Deluxe Wifi Motherboard
2x Radeon 4850's (I crossfire when I game but usually have it disabled since I run a 3 monitor setup)
8 Gigs G.Skill DDR2 1066mhz Ram (Upgraded from 4 gigs of Patriot 800mhz two weeks ago in preperation for the P40)
Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt PSU
Hauppauge TV Tuner Card
2x SATA hard drives (1.5 TB and 1 TB)
3x LG 22inch LCD's
3x DVD Burners



Why is it better to stay with the cooling fan supplied with the CPU?
Well, for one thing, AMD designed it especially for the CPU in question.

Unless you're one of these idiots that like to take their vehicle on the freeway
and push it beyond its design limits, you will not require a third party cooling
solution.

If the heat sink and stock fan are installed correctly, the CPU temps should be normal by default.
In that case, I wouldn't worry about it.

If you need specs with regards to temperature, go to AMD and ask. No one up here designed and manufactured the Phenom, AMD did.

:D 
Related resources
January 12, 2009 10:54:34 PM

enigma067 said:
Why is it better to stay with the cooling fan supplied with the CPU?
Well, for one thing, AMD designed it especially for the CPU in question.

Unless you're one of these idiots that like to take their vehicle on the freeway
and push it beyond its design limits, you will not require a third party cooling
solution.

If the heat sink and stock fan are installed correctly, the CPU temps should be normal by default.
In that case, I wouldn't worry about it.

If you need specs with regards to temperature, go to AMD and ask. No one up here designed and manufactured the Phenom, AMD did.

:D 



Well if you actually knew anything about AMD cpu's you would know they use the same cpu cooler's on all there cpu's. They do not have a custom tailored cooler for each processor they make.

Stick with the aftermarket cooler it will be alot better than the copper cooler that will come with it.
January 13, 2009 8:03:19 PM

Yeah I figured the aftermarket would be the one to stay with. When my processor arrives tomorrow I probably wont even try the stock cooler, I'll just stick with my aftermarket asus.

To answer your question Blackpanther, I run my pc as a media server. My music collection alone consists of over 1500 albums (130 gigs worth of music). I also like to rip certain tv shows (the shows I watch over and over IE South Park Seasons 1-10, family guy etc.). I also have a tv tuner built in so the computer functions as a dvr. I have a PS3 and an Xbox 360, both connect to the computer to pull media in. I also have several laptops, rather then having large drives in the laptops I keep everything stored on the desktop and map the drive to the laptops.

On top of being a media server I do photography work and have started doing video editing. Video editing always took up alot of room but I'm hoping to step up to an HD video camera soon so I'll need all the space I can get my hands on....

Also the 2.5 tb is the internal storage, I also have a 750 external thru SATA for a total of 3.25tb, as well as miscellaneous drives laying around used mostly for backup purposes.
January 13, 2009 9:47:44 PM

I've heard but have not verified that AMD came out with a new fan and heatsink for the Phenom II. I do agree with you that AMD has been using the same fan/heatsink for quite a few years. My guess is that if they did come out with a new one, then it would be just fine in your case unless you do some overclocking. Then again, I do not know your case or the air flow.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
February 10, 2009 1:34:04 AM

After several years of building gaming rigs....I have determined that the Phenom II 940 I just bought is by far the hottest processor I have ever had.

Temps are ranging right at max 60C and thats sitting still...I had ThermalTakes V1 on it and it was worse than the stock cooler it came with.

I have no Idea how in the world I am going to keep this thing cooled down on air....HELP....I have the ASUS Crosshair II Formula mobo with 2x 8800GTS OC II 640MB PCI-E cards....8GB of Crucial Ballistix Tracer mem and a raid 0 set...BTW....if you wanna do raid on a Crosshair II Formula.....GOOD LUCK....this thing even with Vista did not recognize the set...I had to finally put the drivers for both the SATA controller and the RAID driver on the root of a usb drive and plug that in BEFORE I booted from the Vista install DVD ROM.......WOW.......WOWOWOWOWOW.....I cannot remember anything this bad since XP pro x64!!!

Drew...
February 10, 2009 5:19:39 AM

boygenius said:
I've heard but have not verified that AMD came out with a new fan and heatsink for the Phenom II. I do agree with you that AMD has been using the same fan/heatsink for quite a few years. My guess is that if they did come out with a new one, then it would be just fine in your case unless you do some overclocking. Then again, I do not know your case or the air flow.


Not true the Phenom 940 i just bought came with the exact same heatsink that my old Athlon x2 6000+ came with back in 07.
February 10, 2009 8:52:52 AM

... i have tha Phenom II 940 @ 3800Mhz and Zalman CNPS9700 NT on it... with Q'n'C tha t' amplitude iz from 39 to 62... but with additional 2x120mm FAN's and a modded Zalman Z-Machine GV1000... on tha VGA cooler i riped off tha small original fan out and put a silent 120mm fan... so tha system in a ANTEC P182 case closed... tha t' of VGA HD4870 iz 35c' to 58c' and CPU from 38c' to 55c'... tha fun part iz getting tha worm air from VGA away from CPU cooler... so i putted a small quiet fan between VGA and CPU cooler... its a mess inside, but the case iz closed, so it can't been seen...
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
February 10, 2009 12:41:25 PM

xx12amanxx said:
Not true the Phenom 940 i just bought came with the exact same heatsink that my old Athlon x2 6000+ came with back in 07.



The Phenom II 940 I just bought has a BRAND new heat sink/ fan design...has 6 heat pipes running through the sink and 4 pin fan design...still running around 55-60 idling though....very HOT....never had one run this hot out of the box before....NONE....don't know whats going on with this one....I have not even tried to clock the black edition I bought due to its already HOT nature...but I listed my setup on the previous post....anyone have thoughts???
February 10, 2009 2:19:41 PM

RMA it?
February 10, 2009 11:24:48 PM

Drew_1 either you dont have the fan seated properly or there is something wrong with your processor. I've been running the 940 for about 3 or 4 weeks now, my idle temp varies from 40 - 47 depending on room temperature, under load she stays around 52, Prime 95 run for 2 hours pushed it to 59 max.....
a b à CPUs
February 11, 2009 7:38:50 AM

What is your ambient?
July 3, 2009 9:24:01 PM

Hi,

I have the Amd Phenom 2 940 black, stock fan, and a big case with 2 chassis fan (92 mm in back and 120 mm in front). Motherboard is MSI K9N2 SLI platinium with a GTS 250 video card.

Temperature for the CPU is around 52 degree idle , around 63 degree while plying games, and the cpu fan is very loud at 6200 rpm. I don't know if these value are normal but they seems a bit high.

Any advice?
a b à CPUs
July 3, 2009 10:20:20 PM

It's the height of summer in most places, and cpu's get really hot - especially in cases with poor airflow.

Overall it's not anything to worry about. Your cpu is hot, everywhere is hot. If you have it overclocked then mby it's best to remove that or at least lower the oc a bit. You can buy a pci extractor fan to help with pulling hot air out your case, or if you have a mesh side panel you can superglue a fan onto it like I have. Anything that helps circulate the air inside your case is good.
July 4, 2009 5:49:57 PM

Hello

I am using the stock settings ( 3.0 ghz ) no overclock here. and weather is about 24 celcius in here. If that matter, I am using Windows seven RC.

thanks
July 5, 2009 4:28:33 AM

@ jennyh

i too had the same temps at stock settings. i am guessing ur ambient temp is around 28-30c right?

i got myself an ocz vendetta 2 and now im running it at 3.5ghz with 2.2ghz ht link and it stays at 42-44c idle and with prime 95 goes upto 55c max. and with normal gaming like crysis and hawx etc max 50c. my ambient is 30c
July 5, 2009 5:54:03 PM

jeabou, take it from me, if you are going to upgrade your cooleer get a Xigmatek S1283. This solved all my heat issues instantly. My ambient room temp is 27. My processor idles around 34, goes to around 39 under normal-heavy multi-tasking, and maxes around 49 after a few hours of Prime95. Since I originally started this thread I tried about 2 more cooleres and even upgraded from my Thermaltake Armour to an Antec 1200 thinking more airflow would help (even thoug the thermaltake was a great case). It wasnt until I got my xigmatek cooler that I got my temps down.
July 5, 2009 5:54:17 PM

jeabou, take it from me, if you are going to upgrade your cooleer get a Xigmatek S1283. This solved all my heat issues instantly. My ambient room temp is 27. My processor idles around 34, goes to around 39 under normal-heavy multi-tasking, and maxes around 49 after a few hours of Prime95. Since I originally started this thread I tried about 2 more cooleres and even upgraded from my Thermaltake Armour to an Antec 1200 thinking more airflow would help (even thoug the thermaltake was a great case). It wasnt until I got my xigmatek cooler that I got my temps down.
a b à CPUs
July 7, 2009 5:59:30 AM

Mmm, if you apply proper thermal paste and have decent airflow you can avoid an aftermarket cooler.

The Phenom II X4 has a nom nom heatsink.
July 7, 2009 12:01:09 PM

amdfangirl said:
Mmm, if you apply proper thermal paste and have decent airflow you can avoid an aftermarket cooler.

The Phenom II X4 has a nom nom heatsink.


The heatsink for the Phenom II was improved but it still cant compete with a good after market cooler. Airflow was never an issue since I had a Thermaltake Armour MX+ case and now an Antec 1200. Have tried the stock cooler in both cases using the same thermal paste (arctic 5) that I use with my aftermarket Xigmatek. Using the Xigmatek I get a huge drop in temps compared to the stock cooler. The stock cooler is adequate for keeping you in operating range, but aftermarket still beats it hands down.
a b à CPUs
July 7, 2009 12:34:54 PM

I depends on what you decide to do with it.

OC'ing will result in overheating.

If you have low ambient ie. me, stock cooler is fine.
!