perez8434

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
Well i was thinking building myself another PC however, i have several doubts towards what is the best choice. Ive been waiting for a while now but AMD's new release was not what i was expecting or maybe it was. Putting that aside the question remains. Should i buy a cor2quad System, Phenom II system, or i7. Although the answers looks simple, i for one do not have money to sit down upon at this exact moment. Now, what should i do? If i buy a core2quad (a dead socket) i cant save lots of money and get a pretty good graphics card etc. If i buy the Phenom II(AM3 Edition) i have a new socket that will probably be forced to cost less do to it under-performance/price ratio. Now if i buy an i7, i would be forced for the meantime, to stick with something simple. I am not an extreme gamer but i am looking for future proofing. Let me rephrase: a 4850 is an overkill for my daily uses. Now would it be wiser to stick with the i7 and stick with maybe 3 gigs ram and a simple 4850 and maybe later upgrade to more ram and better video card or buy the core2quad with a 4870 etc. Thank you. All opinion are greatly appreciated.

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
4850 is by no means a chump card. If your interested in an upgrade path, i7+4850 FTW. Might also be worth your time to wait and see what the i5 has up its sleeve.

perez8434

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
Well, it is so OLD that there really is no point in mentioning it. Also i have the last of its kind so my upgrade path is pretty much close. All there is to do is start new. I just give you a clue. DDR system.(not ddr2 or ddr3)

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
Well, i7s performance gains for gaming are really not that impressive, and I would guess that you can count on 45nm Core2 remaining competitive for at least 2 years. It really boils down to how heartset you are on having an upgrade path.

groo

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2008
sonds like you should take half of your money and put it in a 18 month CD, then use the rest of it to build a cheaper system. at the end of the 18 months, you can upgrade with half of it, then upgrade again in another year.

don't be so worried about having to get another motherboard, a good one can be had for well under $150. thats a relativly small portion of you outlay to let it limit your future CPU choice. remember, motherboards get better too.

blowing all you computer money for the next 5 years now is a good way to have an outdated dinosaur on your hands, no matter how nice a system you get.

TRENDING THREADS