RAM/Video Card Upgrade on cheap motherboard

G

Hey,

Currently im running a system with:

GA-M61SME-S2L Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Duel Core Processor 4800+ 2.51GHz
2GB Ram
HD Radeon 3650

I was thinking about upgrading my RAM to 4GB(2x2GB) 800 and my video card to either a 9800GT/9800GTX/HD4850/HD4870.

Someone mentioned to me that because I have a slow processor/motherboard it wouldn't be worth upgrading to the videocards mentioned because they'd be bottlenecked. Also, would i get more speed from my PC by upgrading the RAM or by upgrading the processor?

terr281

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
1. What operating system are you currently running?

a. If it is a 32 bit OS (whether it is Win XP or Vista), then you will only see a gain of, at max, 1 GB of ram if you install 2 more GB due to the limitations of the OS.
b. If it is a 64 bit OS, then you don't have to worry about this.

2. You have a "good" processor already. It may not be the best due to its age, but it can still contend. It would take a very-high end graphics card to bottleneck your processor. (Since you will not be running in Crossfire or SLI mode.) Thus, I wouldn't think about a processor upgrade.
--------------
And, even if the video card does bottleneck your computer, a video card upgrade at this point for your system should be seen as a "upgrade this computer now, put it in my new computer build in a year...probably in Crossfire/SLI."

Thus, I would post a similar message to this one in the graphics card section of the forum, requesting a video card recommendation for your system that can be used immediately...then Crossfired/SLI'ed in a year.
---------
As for video card recommendations, I would go with an ATI video card instead of Nvidia atm. ATI generally has the best performing cards right now. But, I would think about what games I play prior to the final decision. (Some games prefer Nvidia, some ATI.) Check the benchmarks here:

http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/gaming-graphics-charts-q3-2008/benchmarks,30.html

G

Thanks a ton for the advice mate I tried here and a few other forums and your the first person to give me such a good answer. really appreciate it. :)