Copy music from desktop to laptop

garm84

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
Hi guys,

I Have a question on copy/transfer music from desktop to laptop. I have over 5k music files on my desktop and i would like to copy the music on to my laptop. is there anyway i can do that with out a hard drive back up. i double i can. but you guys may know a trick to it. i have windows xp pro on desktop and windows 7 on laptop.

Thanks

Garm

robjohnston

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010
OK So I am guessing you don't want to buy an external hard drive? which would be the logical thing to do.. ok fine.

Then your other options are;

1. Burn all the music files to DVD-R/RW discs, then transfer them to the laptop.
2. With both desktop and laptop on the same network [connected to the same router], be sure file sharing is enabled, and then set the folder which contains all the music as a shared directory. Then, on the laptop, go into the Computer folder and Map Network Hard Drive, enter the path of the folder on the desktop i.e \\DESKTOPNAME\FOLDERNAME and voila, connected. Then you can transfer over the network.
Tip: You might find the transfer quicker if you ensure both desktop and laptop are connected to the router with ethernet cables if you proceed with option 2.

garm84

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
ok why i do not want to buy an external hard drive. is because i dont have the money at the m oment to do so. im trying to transfer all my music on to my laptop. so il have it on my laptop whitch im keeping my desktop in storage. and bring my laptop with me to az. b.c im going down there for 6 months. and thats why i ask. i dont have like 100 cds to burn 5k songs. it be best if i transfer it on the network. but the problem is i dont know how; i did the network set up thing but some how it dont work im not sure why. maybe you can help me walk thu it. if you can thanks. and I have a wireless routher. my laptop is conneted by wireless and my desktop computer is conneted to it by cord. so is that what you mean. well any more info you can give me will be great thanks in advance.

Garm

G

Put an ethernet crossover cable between the two computers. Enable sharing on the relevant folders, turn off firewalls on both machines. Make a precise note of the computer names(Control Panel, System, Computer Name).

Run Networking Wizard.

Go to My Network Places, Add New Network Place.

garm84

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
Put an ethernet crossover cable between the two computers. Enable sharing on the relevant folders, turn off firewalls on both machines. Make a precise note of the computer names(Control Panel, System, Computer Name).

Run Networking Wizard.

whats an ethernet crossover cable? sorry i really dont understand never heard of it. do you mean put aethernet cord on 2 both computers?

G

With both computers connected to the router (by wireless or cord).

As before:

Enable sharing on the relevant folders, turn off firewalls on both machines. Make a precise note of the computer names(Control Panel, System, Computer Name).

Run Networking Wizard.

garm84

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
With both computers connected to the router (by wireless or cord).

As before:

Enable sharing on the relevant folders, turn off firewalls on both machines. Make a precise note of the computer names(Control Panel, System, Computer Name).

Run Networking Wizard.

both fire walls are off. how do i make a precise note of the computer names ? sorry if you can walk me thu the steps it be great thanks in advance.

G

Go Start button, Control Panel, System, Computer Name.

If you cant see those icons in Control Panel, change View.

The reason you need the computer names is that the New Network Place routine can be sticky about computer names -- sometimes it'll find your computer without the full name, sometimes not.

May help to try Start, Search, Computers or People.

garm84

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
Go Start button, Control Panel, System, Computer Name.

If you cant see those icons in Control Panel, change View.

The reason you need the computer names is that the New Network Place routine can be sticky about computer names -- sometimes it'll find your computer without the full name, sometimes not.

May help to try Start, Search, Computers or People.

Thank. so what do i put on computer name. what do i type?

G

Go Start button, Control Panel, System, Computer Name. Look at Full Computer Name: and use that name when identifying the target computer in Add Network Places.

Note: If you have Vista or Win7 or you have set up Control Panel View slightly differently you may have to improvise when negotiating Control Panel -- but that's where the Computer Name can be found.

Networking may be a new skill to you (and is one worth mastering) but if it's all too much fuss merely to transfer some files I would suggest you go with the earliest suggestion and burn a DVD or CD.

garm84

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
Go Start button, Control Panel, System, Computer Name. Look at Full Computer Name: and use that name when identifying the target computer in Add Network Places.

Note: If you have Vista or Win7 or you have set up Control Panel View slightly differently you may have to improvise when negotiating Control Panel -- but that's where the Computer Name can be found.

Networking may be a new skill to you (and is one worth mastering) but if it's all too much fuss merely to transfer some files I would suggest you go with the earliest suggestion and burn a DVD or CD.

ok i did it but it keep failing. on my laptop i can not even get the files. it saying i have to have windows 7 on both computers.

i even set both computer names as HomeNetwork and it still dont work. when i set it up it said to use a floppy disk and my laptop dont have one
im just gonna have to wait unto i get a harddrive 2 back up the files. im not sure if microsoft can help me im not sure.

graywolf

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2010
If networking is new to you, just put them on a DVD, as garm84 suggested, and put that in the laptop. You don't even have to copy them to the laptop if you don't have space. But don't delete the files from the desktop comp, as you should always have 2 copies of data. The portability of the DVD is nice because friends can also copy individual songs from there.

Have fun with your music :)

If you need help setting up your network later, ask about that in the networking area.