Harddrive filling up.

dallascowboyfan

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2011
My harddrive C is filling up with windows up dates. C drive has 15Gb and I also have a D drive that has 80 Gb. How can I change the path location to my D drive ? Please help, Thank you

Umm, you would have to either A) re-install Windows on your D drive, B) do an image copy of your C drive to your D drive (wiping out what's on it) and boot from that, or C) Buy a new hard drive and to A) or B) to that.

Can I assume from the small sizes of your drives that they are older-style IDE drives?

By the way, there is a way to get rid of all the $NTUninstallKB... directories. Two ways, actually. You could just delete them all, and hope that nothing breaks. Or you could read this guide (searches the web for it... ... ...) http://users.beagle.com.au/alvian/remove_winupd_backup.html .
But you should really treat yourself to some more storage.

I don't think just deleting them will cause problems... unless of course you want to uninstall that update later. Every so often, I'll mass delete a bunch of these and never ran into problems.

I think removing the registry keys are just to prevent them from showing up in the control panel's add/remove programs. If you try to remove an update from the control panel after deleting the $NTUninstall you will just get warned that it can't find the uninstaller.

wanamingo

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2011
Use ccleaner to remove a lot of the hidden junk taking up space in your computer.

Then try a program called SC-Discinfo it will graphically display where all of your data is going. Ive used it several times when i couldnt figure out where all of this data is hiding.