Sign in with
Your question

NTFS not found

Last response: in Storage
March 24, 2010 11:47:08 PM

Hello I need help BADLY!

Ok, so hear is the situation. I had windows vista on a regular mechanical hard drive, and purchased a new ssd. After installing the ssd I downloaded a windows 7 upgrade, and installed it on the ssd. Once the windows 7 upgrade was installed, I decided to just delete the windows vista on the old drive. After deleting vista off of the old drive using a program called Partition(I forget what the rest was called) I can not even boot my pc. after the bios splash screen goes away all I get is a blank black screen, and at the top left it says "NTFS not found_".

I did some searching and I believe what I did was, along with deleting the old windows vista, I also deleted the vista boot manager and since the windows 7 was an upgrade it did not include its own boot manager. I also found out that all I need to do to get the boot manager or loader or what ever its called back, is to put the windows vista dvd in and repair it. But I have one problem... I LOST THE VISTA DISK! is their anything I can do in order to get the windows 7 to boot back up? I am really confused, I keep reading stuff about this program called vistabootpro, but how would I boot from that???

More about : ntfs found

a b $ Windows 7
a b G Storage
March 25, 2010 12:08:50 AM

What I think that you did was to create a dual boot system with the Windows 7 boot loader on the Vista hard drive, so that when you deleted the vista disk you also removed the Windows 7 boot loader.
But don’t worry it is easy to fix this, boot from the Windows 7 install CD select repair and you will be able to repair the boot loader.
m
l
March 25, 2010 12:12:48 AM

pjmelect said:
What I think that you did was to create a dual boot system with the Windows 7 boot loader on the Vista hard drive, so that when you deleted the vista disk you also removed the Windows 7 boot loader.
But don’t worry it is easy to fix this, boot from the Windows 7 install CD select repair and you will be able to repair the boot loader.

Not to be insulting but, in my message it clearly states that the windows 7 is an upgrade, meaning I downloaded it from microsoft's website and thus DON'T HAVE A DISK FOR IT!
m
l
Related resources
March 25, 2010 12:33:34 AM

Is their any way I can download some kind of 3rd party boot loader or something, that I can copy onto a disk and boot from it, install it, then problem solved? I mean basically the problem is that I deleted the boot loader, and I dont have a vista or 7 disk to bring it back...
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b G Storage
March 25, 2010 5:28:33 AM

You didn’t say that you didn’t have the Windows7 disk only that you didn’t have the Vista disk. Did you download the Windows 7 as an ISO? In which case you should burn it to disk to do the repair. If not, it is easy to find sites where you can download the ISO of Windows7. Without the disk it is very difficult to fix this error.
m
l
March 25, 2010 11:48:42 AM

1800211,5,83245 said:
You didn’t say that you didn’t have the Windows7 disk only that you didn’t have the Vista disk. Did you download the Windows 7 as an ISO? In which case you should burn it to disk to do the repair. If not, it is easy to find sites where you can download the ISO of Windows7. Without the disk it is very difficult to fix this error.[/quotemsg

Wait. So your saying that all I need to do is get a windows 7 disk? Does it have to be the same windows 7 as the one I installed or can it be just any win7? Also, is going online to get a windows 7 iso, basically just downloading an illegal copy of windows? or is there a way I can just download the repair feature? Thanks!
m
l
!