Xp backup utility and system restore

kenny_k

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2011
hi every1, a friend of mine recently had a virus which basically rendered her computer unusable. windows would start, backround of desktop would appear but thats as far as it would go, no icons, taskbar, etc. the only way around was doing a system restore in safe mode. windows is fine now, no viruses and running good. she also backups up the 'c' drive to an external drive 'f' using xp's backup utility. the problem is when we went to restore some of the files, the restore failed saying it could not find the backup file to restore from. when you start the backup utility, all the backup files are there, you can open them and see all the folders inside each file, but when it tries to restore from that backup file it says it cant find it. did the system restore wipe something out??? the system restore was done using a 3/11/2011 date. the backup we're trying was done 1/20/2011. is there anyway to fix this?

thanks.

kenny_k

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2011
solved:
i got it to work by pointing to the file. when it said it couldn't find the file a browse button appeared. never thought of using the browse button initially because it named the file it couldn't find right in the message, the same file i was trying to restore from. so this time i decided to hit the browse, opened the 'f' drive, clicked on the file (same one it said it couldn't find), and it found it.