Sign in with
Your question

Did i lose 2 cores??!?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Overclocking
Last response: in CPUs
January 13, 2009 7:26:42 AM

i tried to overclock my q6600 to 3.0 ghz. i set the fsb too 333. and left everything in auto... i booted and it failed.. so i set it back to 2.4 stock again. i ran cpuz and bam... it says its running on 2 cores???? wat happpened!??! help!!

More about : lose cores

January 13, 2009 7:32:50 AM

everything in auto might mean the volts were pumped as well? depends on your BIOS i guess.
a b à CPUs
January 13, 2009 7:35:34 AM

Grab coretemp (which is a small download and freeware) and fire it up.

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

Should show you what you need.

266 X 7 = 2.4
266 X 6 = 1.6 (idle)

Mine is showing 1.2875 Volts.

This one runs @ 3Ghz (FSB to 333) without an overvolt - SLACR (GO)
Related resources
January 13, 2009 7:39:45 AM

did i break the cpu??? are the 2 cores gone because my comp seem to not recognize them
a b à CPUs
January 13, 2009 7:40:38 AM

Sorry 9 is the X ... not 7

my bad
January 13, 2009 7:43:28 AM

yea but wat happend to the other cores? i had 4 cores before now it only says 2.?
January 13, 2009 7:52:02 AM

If it was actually broken in any way then you probably wouldn't be able to run at all.
January 13, 2009 7:52:56 AM

why does it only recognize 2 cores?
January 13, 2009 7:55:30 AM

raynr1387 said:
i tried to overclock my q6600 to 3.0 ghz. i set the fsb too 333. and left everything in auto... i booted and it failed.. so i set it back to 2.4 stock again. i ran cpuz and bam... it says its running on 2 cores???? wat happpened!??! help!!

Just one reason among many others why you should run with
manufacture defaults.

Sorry. I don't believe in overclocking.

There is absolutely no reason why someone needs to overclock.
Your systems default settings run fast enough to play any game
presently on the market full tilt.
January 13, 2009 8:04:27 AM

pfffff Overclocking is fine with a bit of knowledge....means more value to the customer.

raynr1387 have you actually done as reynod suggested or are you just going to keep posting the same question?
If 2 cores were "broken" then the chip wouldnt fire up. Its just a reporting issue most likely.
January 13, 2009 8:12:34 AM

i dl the program. and ran it. it still says the 2 cores.. sorry for the repost. its just that being my first oc. just a little anxious and worried. could it really jsut be a reporting issue?
a b à CPUs
January 13, 2009 8:18:30 AM

It is an E6600 then ... a dual core ... not a quad core.

End of story.
January 13, 2009 8:20:33 AM

Couple of things:

XP SP2 and earlier might not recognise more than 2
Check BIOS for some kind of Multi Processing option
Is BIOS updated to latest version?
See what this diagnosis tool says
Might need a Windows reinstall.....but thats a final option.

Whats your motherboard, and BIOS version?
January 13, 2009 8:21:16 AM

Reynod said:
It is an E6600 then ... a dual core ... not a quad core.

End of story.

:lol: 
a b à CPUs
January 13, 2009 8:22:02 AM

Ignore Enigma ... he is having a bad day prolly.

Does the coretemp report it as a Q6600 but then only show w cores?

If so then you might have broken it and it trully was a quad.

Otherwise you might have been had and it only is a Q6600 in the first place/

U sure it is a Q ??

a b à CPUs
January 13, 2009 8:23:28 AM

Bluddy edit function ... I meant E6600 in the second to last sentence.

Sorry
January 13, 2009 8:39:44 AM

yea it is for sure a Q6600.. i wouldnt get that wrongg. before i was ocing i actually had it at idle 2.4ghz stock and cpuz did say 4 cores and 4 threads. now it only says 2.. every program i dl to verify it such has core temp, cpuz, and hw monitor all says 2 cores.. everything is running fine.. i have an asus p5n-d mb with the bios version 0701
January 13, 2009 9:53:24 AM

clic run, Type msconfig, click boot options, click advanced options, Make sure the number of processors is not checked. Restart windows and see if that helps.
January 13, 2009 10:43:36 AM

Open up task manager, look at the performance tab.

CPU Usage history should be divided into 4 sections.
a b à CPUs
January 13, 2009 11:22:35 AM

BIOS could have disabled two of the cores...

BTW, what were you thinking trying to OC with voltage set to Auto? Your lucky you still have a CPU to begin with...
January 13, 2009 12:18:22 PM

Well not 100% how these cpu id progs get their information. If they go through windows calls it could be a misreporting issue. Was going to say check control panel/system etc for multiprocessor but since you report 2 that part sounds ok.

Wonder if it is worth just resetting the BIOS back to default, just in case it has disabled two cores somewhere in there.

On the overclocking front, I'd tend to stick with stock voltage and increase in smaller chunks. There's plenty of info about, but obviously not your most urgent problem at the moment.

Good luck and hope you get a positive outcome.

Karl
January 13, 2009 12:29:27 PM

Looks like you have blown the chip tbh - you numpty
a b à CPUs
January 13, 2009 12:32:34 PM

If he doesn't then a half dead Q6600 is a bit of an enigma if it is true ... MU would want to test it under a microscope and bench it.

Intel might be interested ... never heard of a core dying and not taking out the other one ... surely the MCM interconnect wouldn't be able to buffer it and let the other core run ... surely?

Must be one of the above reasons .. windows went wonky or the bios.

Remove, clean, regrease and reseat the Heatsink anyway - check the chip and see if it smells burned up?

You should be able to RMA it anyway ... tell em where you bought it that it just died ... don't tell them you OC'd it.

a b à CPUs
January 13, 2009 12:34:00 PM

How many have you smoked up then??

I have a few "kills" to my name ... heh heh.

January 13, 2009 12:44:35 PM

try benching it to see if you have lost performance, if you have not then it is a reporting problem.
January 13, 2009 1:08:53 PM

Wow so many dumbasses here, I doubt anything is wrong with it, I have had this happen to me (for both xp and vista).

ill find a link that fixed it for me.

http://melodybever.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/only1.jp...

Uncheck the processor box, than reboot, worked for me. Also there is a chance you changed something in the bios that allows only such and such cores to run.

BTW sorry forgot to mention search for msconfig, its under advanced settings under the boot.ini tab
January 13, 2009 1:23:33 PM

Most likely the CMOS/flash settings got corrupted during the OC adjustments and are set to disable 2 of the cores. He's got to reset the BIOS - i.e., remove the battery and set the jumper pins to reset for a few seconds and then back to normal position.

I had similar occurrences with two boards using "stock" settings, a 939-nForce with CnQ where RAM automatically went from 200 MHz to 125 MHz and the CPU multiplier failed to increase from 5x to 11x, and an X58 where XMP profile was specified as 8-8-8 but system was booting with 9-8-8.

msconfig won't suddenly show up disabling two cores.

The Windows version, including service pack, won't just downgrade without a re-installation or upgrade to a completely different version.

CPU-z, Core Temp, and hwmonitor wouldn't all misreport this. They only report what Windows detects.
January 13, 2009 1:45:46 PM

WR said:

msconfig won't suddenly show up disabling two cores.

The Windows version, including service pack, won't just downgrade without a re-installation or upgrade to a completely different version.

First off, how do you know? If i said it happened to me than obviously IT WILL. For the second part i can tell you have the need to be a jackass/smart ass, do it some place else. Dont criticize someone trying to help the OP, post what you think is wrong and nothing else.

"The Windows version, including service pack, won't just downgrade without a re-installation or upgrade to a completely different version."

WTF does that have to do with anything? Does that sentence have any reasoning behind the OP's problem? Just trying to piss someone off, there needs to be an age limit of 14 in these forums to keep people like you out.
January 13, 2009 2:15:06 PM

Yep ++ for resetting CMOS. Chaos why fly in here and call everyone a dumbass? Also your suggestion was already posted by black panther. Let's try to maintain some calamity and civility shall we. Insults are not required.
January 13, 2009 2:18:35 PM

Normally i dont, and im sorry for it, but i hate people who post sarcastic/stupid crap. The OP has enough problems on his hands w/o it (obviously).
!