Did i lose 2 cores??!?

raynr1387

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
i tried to overclock my q6600 to 3.0 ghz. i set the fsb too 333. and left everything in auto... i booted and it failed.. so i set it back to 2.4 stock again. i ran cpuz and bam... it says its running on 2 cores???? wat happpened!??! help!!

Grab coretemp (which is a small download and freeware) and fire it up.

http://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

Should show you what you need.

266 X 7 = 2.4
266 X 6 = 1.6 (idle)

Mine is showing 1.2875 Volts.

This one runs @ 3Ghz (FSB to 333) without an overvolt - SLACR (GO)

enigma067

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2007

Just one reason among many others why you should run with
manufacture defaults.

Sorry. I don't believe in overclocking.

There is absolutely no reason why someone needs to overclock.
Your systems default settings run fast enough to play any game
presently on the market full tilt.

pr2thej

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
pfffff Overclocking is fine with a bit of knowledge....means more value to the customer.

raynr1387 have you actually done as reynod suggested or are you just going to keep posting the same question?
If 2 cores were "broken" then the chip wouldnt fire up. Its just a reporting issue most likely.

raynr1387

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
i dl the program. and ran it. it still says the 2 cores.. sorry for the repost. its just that being my first oc. just a little anxious and worried. could it really jsut be a reporting issue?

pr2thej

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
Couple of things:

XP SP2 and earlier might not recognise more than 2
Check BIOS for some kind of Multi Processing option
Is BIOS updated to latest version?
See what this diagnosis tool says
Might need a Windows reinstall.....but thats a final option.

Whats your motherboard, and BIOS version?

Ignore Enigma ... he is having a bad day prolly.

Does the coretemp report it as a Q6600 but then only show w cores?

If so then you might have broken it and it trully was a quad.

Otherwise you might have been had and it only is a Q6600 in the first place/

U sure it is a Q ??

raynr1387

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
yea it is for sure a Q6600.. i wouldnt get that wrongg. before i was ocing i actually had it at idle 2.4ghz stock and cpuz did say 4 cores and 4 threads. now it only says 2.. every program i dl to verify it such has core temp, cpuz, and hw monitor all says 2 cores.. everything is running fine.. i have an asus p5n-d mb with the bios version 0701

blackpanther26

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2007
clic run, Type msconfig, click boot options, click advanced options, Make sure the number of processors is not checked. Restart windows and see if that helps.

womble

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
Well not 100% how these cpu id progs get their information. If they go through windows calls it could be a misreporting issue. Was going to say check control panel/system etc for multiprocessor but since you report 2 that part sounds ok.

Wonder if it is worth just resetting the BIOS back to default, just in case it has disabled two cores somewhere in there.

On the overclocking front, I'd tend to stick with stock voltage and increase in smaller chunks. There's plenty of info about, but obviously not your most urgent problem at the moment.

Good luck and hope you get a positive outcome.

Karl

If he doesn't then a half dead Q6600 is a bit of an enigma if it is true ... MU would want to test it under a microscope and bench it.

Intel might be interested ... never heard of a core dying and not taking out the other one ... surely the MCM interconnect wouldn't be able to buffer it and let the other core run ... surely?

Must be one of the above reasons .. windows went wonky or the bios.

Remove, clean, regrease and reseat the Heatsink anyway - check the chip and see if it smells burned up?

You should be able to RMA it anyway ... tell em where you bought it that it just died ... don't tell them you OC'd it.