Oc help cpu oc not working q9550

snake786123

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
hi
i have just oc my q9550 from 2.8 to 3.6 and it shows it as 3.6 - 424 x8.5
but when i click on cpu-z or real temp it shows it as 2.8ghz
so i went to the bios and disabled many cpu feautes that clock it down both mhz and voltage wise and it still shows 2.8?
also when i oc it to this in the bios my ram which is suppose to be 1333 shows original mhz at 1066 and current at 1696- will this damage it?

i have a few pics to show but dont know how to upload them
any help much appreciated
thanks

Adroid

Distinguished
You need to read the overclocking threads man and learn how to do it right before you burn something up. Read greyskys sticky thread.

You gotta do your homework to overclock not just randomly change settings in your bios.

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007

Go hit the books again. You obviously didn't pay attention to the part about your ram multiplier etc. My guess would be that your overclock isn't stable and your motherboard is reverting to stock speeds when it boots to windows. So, to repeat what Android told you, Read The Overclocking Guides Carefully.

snake786123

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
thats not really much help you telling me to do research
i have done a lot of reading on forums and watching youtube vids
so please try and help as i am worried i may damage something- i played crysis for 2 hours after and it was stable no rebooting but it didnt seem like it was overcolocked- no noticable difference.

so what do you suggest i do to the ram multiplier?

and also is there any step by step guide to oc this cpu that tells you the value of each fsb,voltage.... and so forth or do you have any suggestions for each item

also any news on how to upload photos?

thanks

System specs?

A step by step, cookbook approach does not work. That why they are called guides. Two seeming identical systems can have completely different results because of small variations in the CPU, RAM, and motherboard. Cases and CPU coolers make a big difference also.

So, first - systems specs, including CPU stepping and VID. Some motherboards are more overclockable than others. Second, your present BIOS settings. It's also valuable for us to know why you changed the settings. That gives us a little insight into your thought processes.
----------
Overclocking since 1978 - Z80 (TRS-80) from 1.77 MHz to 2.01 MHz

TRENDING THREADS