LGA 1156 Cooler with 76mm Clearance

traken

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
I'm attempting to build a mini-itx, moderate gaming, i5 PC. I know, it's suicide, but oh well. I'm sad to say that there seems to be a lack of smaller coolers for i5. The only cooler I've found that might work is the Sycthe Big Shuriken, but I'm a little afraid the RAM will get in the way. I'll probably start off with only one 4GB stick, but would love to keep the option to stick in another.

So, according to the case description, there should be 76mm between the CPU and the PSU. Anyone have any good ideas?

Computer specs:
Case: Silverstone SG06-B
Mobo: DFI LanParty P55-T36
CPU: i5-750
RAM: This or similar

G

Good point about the ram, but did you even read the question? He's asking for a cooler under 7xmm in height...if I'm not mistaken, the newegg-supplied dimensions for the one you linked is 122mm? correct me if I'm wrong, but this cooler is no good for what he's asking, right?

Well that is a bummer, 122mm is still considered "low pro" .

I used the Scythe SCSMZ-2000 92mm in a similar this case and it fit fine. I guess the OP's case width is less than normal..

zed22

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
The dimensions of the Scythe SCSMZ-2000 are 94 x 122 x 94 mm. I read that as l x w x h, with 94 mm being the height. That is still too much for the OP, but just to clarify. Looking at the way Scythe lists their dimensions for other coolers (they list the Shuriken rev. B as "Extreme Low Height of 64mm!" and then the dimensions say 105 x 116 x 64 mm), the third number seems to be the height. I e-mailed Scythe to be sure and they responded super fast, confirming 94mm as the height of the SCSMZ-2000.

I was actually looking at the SCSMZ-2000 for my setup, since I need something not too tall and not too high. My case is just a little over 7" wide as far as height of the cooler and my RAM and GPU slots are somewhat close to the CPU as far as width of the cooler (GIGABYTE GA-P55M-UD2 motherboard). The base is off center from the heat sink though, so it would depend on mounting options. I was also looking at the SCSK-1100, which is centered on the base. Newegg does not list it as LGA 1156 compatible, but the Scythe website does and they confirmed that in the e-mail too. With that one I am just worried about clearance on the RAM and GPU slots.

I never knew it would be so difficult finding a CPU cooler the right size, but I guess that happens when you put a Core i5 on a micro ATX board in a micro ATX case.

Edit: In the end I went with the Cooler Master Hyper TX3. Not the biggest and best, but a good size, price, and better than stock I'm sure. Hopefully it works out.