AMD Phenom 9850 Black Edition running seemingly very hot

shro

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2008
If anyone here remembers, a little while ago (pretty much the same time the 9850 came onto the market) I made my first build and came here for support when things went very very bad.

I come to you today with a new problem, I never regarded this as a problem until recently when my new step mother told me that my computer fans were deafeningly loud, and I started looking into ways of quieting them down when I discovered that my processor seems to be running unusually hot apparently. I'm thinking that there is either an error with the thermometer on the board or that the cpu is faulty if it's running this hot. I tool this screenshot of AMD Overdrive while idling and the cpu fan was still running at 5100RPM according to OverDrive. Is there anying wrong or is this normal?

I'm using stock fans and heatsink with Zalman thermal grease, i have two 120mm intake fans (one front, one side) and one 90mm outtake fan on the rear of the chassis.

my.php

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
Dang that is hot (especially because it's not under load).
Myself I use an aftermarket CPU cooler ( ZALMAN CNPS 9700 NT) and get idle temps in the mid 30's with the 9850 BE

shro

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2008
Do I have a serious problem? Currently, I don't have the money to buy after-market parts until I start working, my pc has been running fine for months and I never regarded it as hot or loud until i started reading into it. Obviously now that I know I'm running extremely hot I want to cause as little damage to my build as possible and get the problem sorted since I'm a little worried.

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
I would say be (Very) careful and recheck the seating on AMD's stock cooler.
The stock cooler while not the best is O.K. but those temps are pretty high.
You should get temps in the mid 40's with the stock cooler (Unless it's hot in your room or you live in a very hot region of the Earth).

shro

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2008
It's about... 30degrees in my room, and I wouldn't exactly call London a hot reigon of the earth, I'll power down and reseat my CPU/Heatsink, my case needs a good clean anyway, maybe I'll re-grease too and see if that helps. (if I can find my paste >_<;)

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
30 degrees C (86 F) in your room would be rather hot unless you mean 30 degrees F in which it would be terribly cold.I live in the Pacific Northwest of the U.S.A. and our standard indoor room temps would be around 65 F or 18 C

Devastator_uk

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2009

Erm normal room temperature is somewhare around the 20 degrees mark. Anyway I would say it's the way the heatsink is seated or the paste is applied as when it's idle I'd expect maybe 10-15C higher than room temperature (so upto 45C in your case but not 59C).

shro

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2008
Our thermostat downstairs says 23degrees i believe, but things in my room are churning out alot of heat (TV, myself, the pc etc)

Anyway, I just got back from giving my build a good clean (cleaned dust from the heatsink and fans etc and re-greased my processor (I don't know WHAT I was thinking when I greased it the first time, it was smothered ALL over in paste) I cleaned it all off and put some new "Zalman SUPER Thermal Grease" on in a small square in the center using the age old "less is more" train of thought and I seem to have lowered my CPU temp by about 2 degrees, not a huge change but a step in the right direction and at least now I can be sure that everything is seated properly.

pr2thej

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008

Change due to paste wont be immediatly obvious...it requires about 300 hours of use iirc to fully cure.

shro

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2008
Alright well, I just tried using the AMD OverDrive stress-test thing to see how long it took me to overheat, it took about 8mins to reach 70degrees @ 100% load on all cores. Looks like I'm going to need some third party cooling soon....

mi1ez

Splendid

It will be immediately obvious if there was as much as he makes out to begin with!

shro

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2008

Oh, it was literally caked in it. There was so much that I had even to wipe excess off from the sides of the CPU, being extra super careful not to let my cloth hit the board surrounding the cpu chip on top.

Devastator_uk

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2009

So you used a trowel to apply it the first time :sarcastic:

shro

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2008

You could say that...
I've just returned from being out, left my machine idling while I did and still no noticeable change in temp. :(

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
Personnaly I use a Noctua NH-U12P cooler on my 9850 (room temps are similar for me in Germany, unless I open a window. Friggin concrete apartment top floor) I run about 54c under heavy load (after 5-6 hours of gaming, but I also have a case with great airflow).

G

I have the 9850 black also , my impression was it's running hot also.
but with a good air flow it dropped consistently, the case was under the desk so i got it out and it's better now.
Tonight i tried something else and it worked on my temperatures as much as 8 degrees C, you should try it , see what happens.
I changed the setting in Control Panel / power options , i changed it from "performance" to "balanced".
My fan is set on cool'n'quiet mode and i hardly can see it moving , it's on 782 rpm and my cpu temp is 36 C. It was on 1200 rpm and 43 C before i changed this last setting.
So i thought maybe you should try it.
I'll cancel the cool'n'quiet for a few min , i'm curious how low will my temp go hehe
Good luck!