FPS

any suggestions on how to increase my fps?
getting 4-15 depening on where i am. 20 in space.
13 answers Last reply
More about tomshardware
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.starwarsgalaxies (More info?)

    Atomic Punk wrote:

    > any suggestions on how to increase my fps?
    > getting 4-15 depening on where i am. 20 in space.

    New video card.
    Update video driver.
    More ram.
    Turn off shadows.
    Turn down detail.

    For this game, I rebuilt my PC, then added in a 128mb video card. It
    made a big difference.

    CH
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.starwarsgalaxies (More info?)

    k. um got 1 gig ram 1.81 cpu speed amd and 256mb video card.
    remember reading somehwere on swg site that they advise diabling certain
    things but cant remember where that is.

    any help would be appreciated
    got the latest driver day or so ago

    "Clawhound" <none@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    > Atomic Punk wrote:
    >
    >> any suggestions on how to increase my fps?
    >> getting 4-15 depening on where i am. 20 in space.
    >
    > New video card.
    > Update video driver.
    > More ram.
    > Turn off shadows.
    > Turn down detail.
    >
    > For this game, I rebuilt my PC, then added in a 128mb video card. It made
    > a big difference.
    >
    > CH
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.starwarsgalaxies (More info?)

    With that system information, I'm not sure it's a problem with the game or
    your system components. Have you done a search for viruses and/or spyware?
    It may not be what's causing the problem, but it certainly couldn't hurt.
    If you don't have up to date anti virus software, there's a free, online
    scanner at:

    housecall.antivirus.com (Trend Micro) or several free Anti Virus packages
    you can install such as AVG or Avast.

    For Spyware checks if you're not familiar you may want to try AdAware
    (www.lavasoftusa.com) and Spybot Search and Destroy 1.4 (I get it from
    www.download.com).

    Can't guarantee this will do anything, but if you don't normally check your
    system for it, it can't hurt to check.

    I'm at work so I can't check my Client for what the things to disable in the
    Options are, but I think Use High Detail Textures is one and Disable World
    Pre-loading may be another. If you don't mind the characters looking
    horribly undetailed, you may want to try Checking (or unchecking, don't
    remember which) Use Low Detail Characters.

    I hope this helps. I wouldn't mess with checking/unchecking anything until
    done scanning though. Just so you don't mess anything up accidentally.

    Thanks

    The Bar-erras Clan
    Lowca Galaxy

    "Atomic Punk" <ggarza@woh.rr.com> wrote in message
    > k. um got 1 gig ram 1.81 cpu speed amd and 256mb video card.
    > remember reading somehwere on swg site that they advise diabling certain
    > things but cant remember where that is.
    >
    > any help would be appreciated
    > got the latest driver day or so ago
    >
    > "Clawhound" <none@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    >> Atomic Punk wrote:
    >>
    >>> any suggestions on how to increase my fps?
    >>> getting 4-15 depening on where i am. 20 in space.

  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.starwarsgalaxies (More info?)

    SWG has been designed to maximize use of processor and video card. It
    used the processor for fractal rendering, the video card for textures.

    That being said, a better video card might not make that big of a
    difference. Case in point, I have a Athlon XP 2800 w/1 GB ram. I
    bought a NVIDIA 6800GT, that I OC'd. Net change in performance = not
    much.

    In order to really see improvement you have to have:
    -Fast fast processor
    -fast video card
    -lots of ram

    If you don't have all three your perf will vary greatly and lag a lot.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.starwarsgalaxies (More info?)

    Like the others said, a new videocard and at least 1gig ram will do wonders,
    but for quick results do the following.

    make a macro and put it in your toolbar. The macro must be like this:

    /FlushGraphics Fullreset

    When entering a city or crowded place, activate the macro. It will increase
    your FPS

    "Psyberowl" <owl@dmv.com> schreef in bericht
    > With that system information, I'm not sure it's a problem with the game or
    > your system components. Have you done a search for viruses and/or
    spyware?
    > It may not be what's causing the problem, but it certainly couldn't hurt.
    > If you don't have up to date anti virus software, there's a free, online
    > scanner at:
    >
    > housecall.antivirus.com (Trend Micro) or several free Anti Virus
    packages
    > you can install such as AVG or Avast.
    >
    > For Spyware checks if you're not familiar you may want to try AdAware
    > (www.lavasoftusa.com) and Spybot Search and Destroy 1.4 (I get it from
    > www.download.com).
    >
    > Can't guarantee this will do anything, but if you don't normally check
    your
    > system for it, it can't hurt to check.
    >
    > I'm at work so I can't check my Client for what the things to disable in
    the
    > Options are, but I think Use High Detail Textures is one and Disable World
    > Pre-loading may be another. If you don't mind the characters looking
    > horribly undetailed, you may want to try Checking (or unchecking, don't
    > remember which) Use Low Detail Characters.
    >
    > I hope this helps. I wouldn't mess with checking/unchecking anything
    until
    > done scanning though. Just so you don't mess anything up accidentally.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > The Bar-erras Clan
    > Lowca Galaxy
    >
    > "Atomic Punk" <ggarza@woh.rr.com> wrote in message
    > > k. um got 1 gig ram 1.81 cpu speed amd and 256mb video card.
    > > remember reading somehwere on swg site that they advise diabling certain
    > > things but cant remember where that is.
    > >
    > > any help would be appreciated
    > > got the latest driver day or so ago
    > >
    > > "Clawhound" <none@nowhere.com> wrote in message

  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.starwarsgalaxies (More info?)

    Reply to message from "neuromancer.sll@gmail.com" <neuromancer.sll@gmail.
    com> (Wed, 29 Jun 2005 20:05:20) about "Re: FPS":

    LAG = NETWORK latency !!!

    I am wondering what people calling lag all the time. And the worst thing
    is: I do it myself sometimes. You don't get lag because your CPU/Videoboard
    is slow, because you don't have enough ram or something. You get LAG,
    because of the server/client dropping packets, being not able to handle
    huge amounts of players or the internet just being slow.

    LAG = NETWORK latency

    n> SWG has been designed to maximize use of processor and video card. It
    n> used the processor for fractal rendering, the video card for textures.

    n> That being said, a better video card might not make that big of a
    n> difference. Case in point, I have a Athlon XP 2800 w/1 GB ram. I bought
    n> a NVIDIA 6800GT, that I OC'd. Net change in performance = not much.

    n> In order to really see improvement you have to have:
    n> -Fast fast processor
    n> -fast video card
    n> -lots of ram

    n> If you don't have all three your perf will vary greatly and lag a lot.

    Bye
    Dirk Pfeiffer <dirk@dbx501.de> Thu, 30 Jun 2005 14:31:07 +0200

  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.starwarsgalaxies (More info?)

    In SWG, lag is also referrs to the delay caused by video processing. The
    server can be slow sending out packets (lag), there can be a network
    latency issue (lag), or there can be a video latency issue (lag).

    CH

    Dirk Pfeiffer wrote:

    > Reply to message from "neuromancer.sll@gmail.com" <neuromancer.sll@gmail.
    > com> (Wed, 29 Jun 2005 20:05:20) about "Re: FPS":
    >
    > LAG = NETWORK latency !!!
    >
    > I am wondering what people calling lag all the time. And the worst thing
    > is: I do it myself sometimes. You don't get lag because your CPU/Videoboard
    > is slow, because you don't have enough ram or something. You get LAG,
    > because of the server/client dropping packets, being not able to handle
    > huge amounts of players or the internet just being slow.
    >
    > LAG = NETWORK latency
    >
    > n> SWG has been designed to maximize use of processor and video card. It
    > n> used the processor for fractal rendering, the video card for textures.
    >
    > n> That being said, a better video card might not make that big of a
    > n> difference. Case in point, I have a Athlon XP 2800 w/1 GB ram. I bought
    > n> a NVIDIA 6800GT, that I OC'd. Net change in performance = not much.
    >
    > n> In order to really see improvement you have to have:
    > n> -Fast fast processor
    > n> -fast video card
    > n> -lots of ram
    >
    > n> If you don't have all three your perf will vary greatly and lag a lot.
    >

    > Bye
    > Dirk Pfeiffer <dirk@dbx501.de> Thu, 30 Jun 2005 14:31:07 +0200
    >
    > === Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 2.2.0.8
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.starwarsgalaxies (More info?)

    Reply to message from Clawhound <none@nowhere.com> (Thu, 30 Jun 2005 18:16:
    18) about "Re: FPS":

    Since I started working with computers for the first time (more than 20
    years ago), LAG was nothing else than network latency. SWG must be
    something "special" in computing business then since almost everything is
    called lag here: network, videoard processing, sound output, just whatever
    anyone likes it to be.

    C> In SWG, lag is also referrs to the delay caused by video processing.
    C> The server can be slow sending out packets (lag), there can be a
    C> network latency issue (lag), or there can be a video latency issue
    C> (lag).

    C> CH

    C> Dirk Pfeiffer wrote:

    >> Reply to message from "neuromancer. sll@gmail.com" <neuromancer.
    >> sll@gmail. com> (Wed, 29 Jun 2005 20:
    >> 05:20) about "Re: FPS":

    >> LAG = NETWORK latency !!!

    >> I am wondering what people calling lag all the time. And the worst
    >> thing is: I do it myself sometimes. You don't get lag because your CPU/
    >> Videoboard is slow, because you don't have enough ram or something. You
    >> get LAG, because of the server/client dropping packets, being not able
    >> to handle huge amounts of players or the internet just being slow.

    >> LAG = NETWORK latency

    >> n> SWG has been designed to maximize use of processor and video card.
    >> It n> used the processor for fractal rendering, the video card for
    >> textures.

    >> n> That being said, a better video card might not make that big of a n>
    >> difference. Case in point, I have a Athlon XP 2800 w/1 GB ram. I bought
    >> n> a NVIDIA 6800GT, that I OC'd. Net change in performance = not much.

    >> n> In order to really see improvement you have to have: n> -Fast fast
    >> processor n> -fast video card n> -lots of ram

    >> n> If you don't have all three your perf will vary greatly and lag a
    >> lot.

    >> Bye
    >> Dirk Pfeiffer <dirk@dbx501.de> Thu,
    >> 30 Jun 2005 14:31:07 +0200

    >> === Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 2.2.0.8

    Bye
    Dirk Pfeiffer <dirk@dbx501.de> Fri, 01 Jul 2005 14:21:33 +0200

  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.starwarsgalaxies (More info?)

    Absolutely the best way for me was to turn off the vertex/pixel shading in
    the launchpad game options.

    > any suggestions on how to increase my fps?
    > getting 4-15 depening on where i am. 20 in space.

  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.starwarsgalaxies (More info?)

    This is a generalization of the word "lag". Lag came to mean "delay
    between one end of the system and other other." We started off with
    "network lag" being lag, but as other sources of delay cropped up, they
    got lumped under the general idea of "lag".

    This is natural in language. It happens all the time. This is how words
    pick up multiple meanings.
    Take "lag" for instance. It's been around for about four hundred years
    and means something/someone that is slow or last. Only lately has it
    come to be associated with computers and networks. So I understand your
    objections to the usage, but if anything, "lag" is now being used CLOSER
    to English usage.

    CH

    Dirk Pfeiffer wrote:

    > Reply to message from Clawhound <none@nowhere.com> (Thu, 30 Jun 2005 18:16:
    > 18) about "Re: FPS":
    >
    > Since I started working with computers for the first time (more than 20
    > years ago), LAG was nothing else than network latency. SWG must be
    > something "special" in computing business then since almost everything is
    > called lag here: network, videoard processing, sound output, just whatever
    > anyone likes it to be.
    >
    > C> In SWG, lag is also referrs to the delay caused by video processing.
    > C> The server can be slow sending out packets (lag), there can be a
    > C> network latency issue (lag), or there can be a video latency issue
    > C> (lag).
    >
    > C> CH
    >
    > C> Dirk Pfeiffer wrote:
    >
    > >> Reply to message from "neuromancer. sll@gmail.com" <neuromancer.
    > >> sll@gmail. com> (Wed, 29 Jun 2005 20:
    > >> 05:20) about "Re: FPS":
    >
    > >> LAG = NETWORK latency !!!
    >
    > >> I am wondering what people calling lag all the time. And the worst
    > >> thing is: I do it myself sometimes. You don't get lag because your CPU/
    > >> Videoboard is slow, because you don't have enough ram or something. You
    > >> get LAG, because of the server/client dropping packets, being not able
    > >> to handle huge amounts of players or the internet just being slow.
    >
    > >> LAG = NETWORK latency
    >
    > >> n> SWG has been designed to maximize use of processor and video card.
    > >> It n> used the processor for fractal rendering, the video card for
    > >> textures.
    >
    > >> n> That being said, a better video card might not make that big of a n>
    > >> difference. Case in point, I have a Athlon XP 2800 w/1 GB ram. I bought
    > >> n> a NVIDIA 6800GT, that I OC'd. Net change in performance = not much.
    >
    > >> n> In order to really see improvement you have to have: n> -Fast fast
    > >> processor n> -fast video card n> -lots of ram
    >
    > >> n> If you don't have all three your perf will vary greatly and lag a
    > >> lot.
    >

    > >> Bye
    > >> Dirk Pfeiffer <dirk@dbx501.de> Thu,
    > >> 30 Jun 2005 14:31:07 +0200
    >
    > >> === Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 2.2.0.8
    >

    > Bye
    > Dirk Pfeiffer <dirk@dbx501.de> Fri, 01 Jul 2005 14:21:33 +0200
    >
    > === Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 2.2.0.8
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.starwarsgalaxies (More info?)

    What kind of video card do you have?

    "Slice" <orlac@sree.org> wrote in message
    > Absolutely the best way for me was to turn off the vertex/pixel shading in
    > the launchpad game options.
    >

    > "Atomic Punk" <ggarza@woh.rr.com> wrote in message
    >> any suggestions on how to increase my fps?
    >> getting 4-15 depening on where i am. 20 in space.

  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.starwarsgalaxies (More info?)

    <HR> wrote in message news:ceydncYf-andsVbfRVn-3Q@comcast.com...
    > What kind of video card do you have?
    >

    > "Slice" <orlac@sree.org> wrote in message
    >> Absolutely the best way for me was to turn off the vertex/pixel shading
    >> in the launchpad game options.
    >>

    >> "Atomic Punk" <ggarza@woh.rr.com> wrote in message
    >>> any suggestions on how to increase my fps?
    >>> getting 4-15 depening on where i am. 20 in space.

    Me?? A Radeon 9600 64 mb

  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.starwarsgalaxies (More info?)

    That's it.
    Just to complement, I would say that games started to show the same sintoms
    of network latency (short pauses suceeded by frame skipping) because of
    numerous other factors. So the term is now used to describe the effect and
    not the cause.

    regards,

    Man of Kilrah

    > This is a generalization of the word "lag". Lag came to mean "delay
    > between one end of the system and other other." We started off with
    > "network lag" being lag, but as other sources of delay cropped up, they
    > got lumped under the general idea of "lag".
    >
    > This is natural in language. It happens all the time. This is how words
    > pick up multiple meanings.
    > Take "lag" for instance. It's been around for about four hundred years and
    > means something/someone that is slow or last. Only lately has it come to
    > be associated with computers and networks. So I understand your objections
    > to the usage, but if anything, "lag" is now being used CLOSER to English
    > usage.
    >
    > CH
    >
    > Dirk Pfeiffer wrote:
    >
    >> Reply to message from Clawhound <none@nowhere.com> (Thu, 30 Jun 2005
    >> 18:16: 18) about "Re: FPS": Since I started working with computers for
    >> the first time (more than 20 years ago), LAG was nothing else than
    >> network latency. SWG must be something "special" in computing business
    >> then since almost everything is called lag here: network, videoard
    >> processing, sound output, just whatever anyone likes it to be. C> In SWG,
    >> lag is also referrs to the delay caused by video processing. C> The
    >> server can be slow sending out packets (lag), there can be a C> network
    >> latency issue (lag), or there can be a video latency issue C> (lag). C>
    >> CH C> Dirk Pfeiffer wrote: >> Reply to message from "neuromancer.
    >> sll@gmail.com" <neuromancer. >> sll@gmail. com> (Wed, 29 Jun 2005 20: >>
    >> 05:20) about "Re: FPS": >> LAG = NETWORK latency !!! >> I am wondering
    >> what people calling lag all the time. And the worst >> thing is: I do it
    >> myself sometimes. You don't get lag because your CPU/ >> Videoboard is
    >> slow, because you don't have enough ram or something. You >> get LAG,
    >> because of the server/client dropping packets, being not able >> to
    >> handle huge amounts of players or the internet just being slow. >> LAG =
    >> NETWORK latency >> n> SWG has been designed to maximize use of processor
    >> and video card. >> It n> used the processor for fractal rendering, the
    >> video card for >> textures. >> n> That being said, a better video card
    >> might not make that big of a n> >> difference. Case in point, I have a
    >> Athlon XP 2800 w/1 GB ram. I bought >> n> a NVIDIA 6800GT, that I OC'd.
    >> Net change in performance = not much. >> n> In order to really see
    >> improvement you have to have: n> -Fast fast >> processor n> -fast video
    >> card n> -lots of ram >> n> If you don't have all three your perf will
    >> vary greatly and lag a >> lot. >> Bye >> Dirk Pfeiffer <dirk@dbx501.de>
    >> Thu, >> 30 Jun 2005 14:31:07 +0200 >> === Posted with Qusnetsoft
    >> NewsReader 2.2.0.8 Bye Dirk Pfeiffer <dirk@dbx501.de> Fri, 01 Jul 2005
    >> 14:21:33 +0200 === Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 2.2.0.8

Games FPS Video Games