Cheapest good PS for E6300 and 8800GT 512

Ravensong13

Distinguished
May 10, 2008
I'm trying to help out a friend who is really strapped for cash. He desperately needs to upgrade his gaming machine..... This is a very good friend I play online with on a daily basis...

I'm donating an E6300, a nice gigabyte MoBo, and 4 gig of PC6400 RAM. He needs a Video card.... So far the best bang for the buck seems to be an 8800/9800GT 512... the second gen one. I can get one for just over $100.00. That is already a major stretch of his budget.. and I'm really quite certain his current PS will not power it as it only puts out 20A on the 12V rail.

What is the cheapest PS that you can recommend to reliably run this combo? I know better then to buy junk Power Supplies. A link to the item on Newegg or TD would be fantastic. Also I would be willing to look at a used one on Ebay.

Also if you would like to suggest a different vid card/PS combo, or a vid card upgrade that will run on only 20A that is welcome too!!! Just remember every dollar counts!

This is my first post I believe.. but I get most of my system building data and suggestions here on THG.. thanks so much guys!!

Ray