Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Water cooling or air cooling?

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
February 10, 2010 9:48:20 PM

Hi

I want to change my air cooling system for a water cooling system because my heatskin is a CM V8 and it´s very big.

But I have a couple of questions

1.-It´s more effective than the air cooling?

2.-I need to upgrade my PSU? (I have a MoBo ECS A780GM-A, CPU Phenom X4 9750 2.4Ghz, RAM 4Gb DDR2 800Mhz, Sapphire ATI HD4890 1Gb, HDD Seagate 500Gb Sata II, Lite on DVD-/+RW, Heatskin CM V8) all this with a CM realpower 750W, if I change the V8 for a water cooling system it will fine with this PSU?

3.-Can I use only one water system for the CPU, GPU and Chipset cooling?

4.-Which is the better water cooling system?

Thanks for your help
a b K Overclocking
February 10, 2010 10:38:48 PM

Watercooling is generally more effective than air cooling, and quieter, however, it is also much more expensive, and you have to do more maintenance than you would otherwise.

Question is, what is your budget, are you ready to spend $250+ on getting a watercooling setup for your system?
m
0
l
February 11, 2010 1:18:22 AM

lothdk said:
Watercooling is generally more effective than air cooling, and quieter, however, it is also much more expensive, and you have to do more maintenance than you would otherwise.

Question is, what is your budget, are you ready to spend $250+ on getting a watercooling setup for your system?



my budget it´s no problem at all, I´m only want to make my PC better and in the future i gonna put this water system (if it is better) in my new PC a core i7 920 in a rampage II extreme
m
0
l
Related resources
February 11, 2010 4:54:12 AM

Water Cooling is far superior but requires more maintenance. Air Cooling isn't as effective and is low maintenance. Choose what works for you.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
February 11, 2010 5:20:41 AM

I realize you asked about water cooling but just thought I'd mention that the V8 isn't really one of the better coolers as one of my OCZ Vendetta 2's is far less money and outperforms the V8 plus it's smaller.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
February 11, 2010 10:12:39 AM

LoneWolf_53 said:
I realize you asked about water cooling but just thought I'd mention that the V8 isn't really one of the better coolers as one of my OCZ Vendetta 2's is far less money and outperforms the V8 plus it's smaller.

If you notice, some of his components look a few years old and many newer and more efficient HSFs have been made since then, so it probably is coming from an old build and who really buys new a HSF every time a better one comes out? :lol: 
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
February 11, 2010 10:20:24 AM

kokin said:
If you notice, some of his components look a few years old and many newer and more efficient HSFs have been made since then, so it probably is coming from an old build and who really buys new a HSF every time a better one comes out? :lol: 


I do. :D  :D  :D 
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
February 11, 2010 10:37:34 AM

LoneWolf_53 said:
I do. :D  :D  :D 

Then I expect you to have Noctua's NH-D14. :D  :D  :D 
m
0
l
February 11, 2010 12:47:57 PM

one-shot said:
Water Cooling is far superior but requires more maintenance. Air Cooling isn't as effective and is low maintenance. Choose what works for you.


And for the question 2 and 3 i want to know if i need to change my psu and if the water system can works for my vga and the chipet too?
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
February 11, 2010 1:09:31 PM

Probably best if you read the sticky on the top of this section since you're interested in water cooling.

2- You don't need to change your PSU unless you're thinking about getting a second 4890 for Crossfire.

3-A single water system can be used for your whole system and you can do them all in one loop. The more components you want to add to WC, the more you need to spend maybe about $500-$600 for your CPU, GPU(s), and chipset.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
February 11, 2010 8:28:11 PM

^ Nice find. Well done. +1. HOWEVER, I recommend you getting a 320 rad.
m
0
l
!