Sign in with
Your question

Help With ASUS P5N-D

Last response: in Motherboards
February 17, 2009 11:04:50 PM

Some times when I start my computer the fans turn on, my screen is black, no post, and nothing happens, I would like to call it a "blackout" except the fans are on, but if you guys have some technical term for this, go for it. The only way I have figured out to fix this is to reset my CMOS which is a painstaking process which takes a while (because I have to take my video card out to get access to the battery and then reset the jumper). The first time the "blackout" happened to me I reset the CMOS, it turned on perfectly but now I have to reset the CMOS maybe three times for it to work. This gives me the idea that its not the CMOS, but hey I don't really know, of course that's why I'm here.

This "blackout" only has happened four or five times over the year I have had my computer. Here are some descriptions of when this happened.

- The first one was when I just got done building it and I turned it on for the very first time. Oh what a great feeling that was. But I reset the CMOS and all was normal.

- This happened a couple times when the power went out and the computer shut off. Some times it took 2 or 3 times at resetting the CMOS for it to boot properly.

- Now this last time was when I tapped the front of the case with my knee when it was turned on. The computer froze tight and when I restarted it I got the "blackout".

Now please don't get the idea that I am beating up the computer because I am not its always done this and I have read other people that have had this same problem, but hopefully we can get a fix.

Also when I use the term "blackout" it means when I turn the computer on the fans turn on, my screen is black, no post, and nothing happens, I just call it this so I don' have to restate the symptoms again.

More about : asus p5n

February 17, 2009 11:06:25 PM

jsmith18 said:
Some times when I start my computer the fans turn on, my screen is black, no post, and nothing happens, I would like to call it a "blackout" except the fans are on, but if you guys have some technical term for this, go for it. The only way I have figured out to fix this is to reset my CMOS which is a painstaking process which takes a while (because I have to take my video card out to get access to the battery and then reset the jumper). The first time the "blackout" happened to me I reset the CMOS, it turned on perfectly but now I have to reset the CMOS maybe three times for it to work. This gives me the idea that its not the CMOS, but hey I don't really know, of course that's why I'm here.

This "blackout" only has happened four or five times over the year I have had my computer. Here are some descriptions of when this happened.

- The first one was when I just got done building it and I turned it on for the very first time. Oh what a great feeling that was. But I reset the CMOS and all was normal.

- This happened a couple times when the power went out and the computer shut off. Some times it took 2 or 3 times at resetting the CMOS for it to boot properly.

- Now this last time was when I tapped the front of the case with my knee when it was turned on. The computer froze tight and when I restarted it I got the "blackout".

Now please don't get the idea that I am beating up the computer because I am not its always done this and I have read other people that have had this same problem, but hopefully we can get a fix.

Also when I use the term "blackout" it means when I turn the computer on the fans turn on, my screen is black, no post, and nothing happens, I just call it this so I don' have to restate the symptoms again.

Here are my specs:

Specs: Case: Antec 900
CPU: Q6600 @ 2.4
Cooler: Zalman 9500A
MOBO:ASUS P5N-D
Memory: CORSAIR XMS2 4GB (2 x 2GB) TWIN2X4096-6400C5DHX
Video Card: XFX 8800GTS (G92) 512MB
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer 7.1 PCI
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB
DVD: Samsung 20X
PSU:o CZ GameXStream 700W
February 18, 2009 1:27:44 AM

Reconnect all cables, re-seat all cards & RAM.

Run Memtest+ overnight.

Try a different PSU.

Try your video card in a different PC. Try a different video card in your PC.
March 24, 2009 1:37:51 AM

I had this exact same problem.

I'm having the motherboard replaced by the vendor
!