I Have A Problem...I think.

CyberSteak

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2009
Ok. I have this really strange problem. Although to be honest with you, I'm not entirely sure it's a problem.

I added another 2 gigs of DDR2 ram to my comp which brings me to a total of 4 gigs (upgraded from 3 gigs (two 512 sticks removed)). I fired up the comp, right clicked on My Computer and it only showed 3 gigs of Ram. I popped open the case and tested each stick of ram one stick at a time and each one showed an accurate count of 1 gig. Then I tested 3 sticks. Right clicked on my computer and it read 3 gigs. Throw in the fourth stick, and it still read 3 gigs. So now I'm thinking something is messed up with the slot. So I pull the two older 1 gig sticks and throw in the 512 sticks I had pulled out. It should read 2.5 gigs if the slot is messed up but nope...it reads 3 gigs!!!

I checked the Ram in bios and it reads 4 gigs when all 4 sticks of 1 gig are in. I also went to Dells website and did a current system configuration and it shows all 4 1 gig chips. So um...what the heck's going on? Any ideas why when I right click on my computer, it only reads 3 gigs? Oh, I guess I should mention that I have windows xp media center.

CyberSteak

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2009
Hmmm. Not an option I'm affraid. The comp is 4 years old and 4 gigs of ram is all it will take.

So do I have a problem? Is my comp not using the 4 gigs? Why would the specs I got from dell state that I can upgrade upto 4 gigs, if it's only going to read 3?

Anyone?

CyberSteak

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2009
hmmm. I'm a little confused here. why are those things not subtracted when I only have 3 gigs ram in? 3 gigs of ram reads 3 gigs.

From a bit of routing around I'm starting to find out that xp won't recognise 4 gigs of ram. But is that ram being used even if it's not recognised?

And do I need more then 4 gigs of RAM to run Microsoft Windows Vista x64 SP1? Is it possible to run it or will my limitation of 4 gigs make it pointless?

I know, lots of questions, I appreciate your input.

It's difficult to answer your questions since you didn't provide any info about your components. We don't know if your motherboard supports more than 4 GB, if it supports memory remapping, what chipset it uses, how much memory your video card has (the more memory it has, the more is subtracted from 4 GB), etc.

You don't need more than 4 GB to run Vista 64, unless you run enough applications to take advantage of it. On the other hand, memory is rather inexpensive.

CyberSteak

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2009
Ok well my computer is a Dell Dimmension 8400...

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim8400/en/om/U70350LRs.pdf

It won't accept anything more then 4 gigs of DDR2 RAM

Video Card is HIS ATI 4670 with 1 gig of DDR3 RAM...

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161251

and the RAM I'm running is a couple of 1 gig Buffalo sticks bought a year ago (can't remember specs)...

And then two new Kingston Hyper X sticks I got in the other day (with a couple more in the mail to replace the buffalo chips)

Operating system is XP media center with service pack 3

Only thing that's not listed above would be the new pioneer dvd burner I installed the other day...but I suspect that's not an important detail.

If your system is limited to 4 GB, then it doesn't support memory remapping and Vista 64 won't be able to address more memory than XP Media Center. Since you have a video card that requires 1 GB, then addressable RAM certainly can't exceed 3GB (4 GB - 1 GB).

CyberSteak

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2009
So...

Vista 64 would be no more help to me the XP MCE?

And the gig of video card ram is preventing me from using all 4 gigs on the motherboard? Admittedly I'm a bit of a noob (obviously). I would have thought that having that extra RAM on my video card would only add to the RAM available. So 4 Gigs, means 4 gigs total (including any present on the video card)? Did I get that right?

JDocs

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2008
In simple terms think of the memory as workers (1mb each) and your OS's 'bit' as a office building.

Your office building (a 32bit OS) can only house 4096 and all the devices need their own memory. So first goes say 512 workers from the graphics. Then say 128 from the motherboard's internal memory(snoop cache and so on) and the network port's / sound memory and so on. Eventually you have only 3072 odd offices left and 4096 system memory workers. 4096 - 3072 leaves 1024 with out offices and outside the building aka unavailable to the OS.

A 64bit computer + OS would have in the region of 1048576 offices. You left 1024 system memory workers unemployed you evil person :p Fortunately they didn't earn money so its just a vacation for them. :( Unfair on us...