Sign in with
Your question

E8400 Core Temps HIGH

Last response: in Overclocking
February 11, 2010 7:06:06 AM

I never wanted to overclock my CPU until i got a new case (my old case had absolutely no airflow) and a new graphics card, however i ran into a slight problem. My CPU temperatures reaches 74 degrees Celsius in Stress Testing (Intel Burn Test, Prime95, etc) WITHOUT OVERCLOCKING.

My system specs:
Case: Antec Nine Hundred Two
CPU: C2D E8400
mobo: Gigabyte EP35-DS3L
ram: Corsair XM2 4gig (2x2) DDR800
gpu: XFX GeForce 8800 GT 512MB (waiting for XFX Radeon HD 5850 Black to come in)
PSU: Corsair 620HX
HD1: WD 640 Black - Windows 7 32bit (main)
HD2: WD 640 Blue - Windows XP

i knew my old computer ran hot (it would beep constantly if i didn't have the case cover off) but i attributed that to the case and hence i got a new one; however now that i'm actually running the stress tests on it and monitoring the temperatures i think there is something slightly wrong with the fact that at stock speeds it reaches 74 degrees Celsius and when i overclock to 3.6ghz it reaches 78 degrees Celsius. Idle temps read 49 and 44.

Any reasoning of why it goes that high would be welcome
At this point i'm thinking about getting an aftermarket cooler specifically the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ since i dont think the core temperatures should ever go above 65 degrees Celsius

**Maybe i should have put this in the CPU section.......**

More about : e8400 core temps high

February 11, 2010 8:28:43 AM

Even 65 degrees under pressure is way too much for a non overclocked cpu. You'd better get a new cooler and as you said CM Hyper 212+ - that is probably the best choice for the money atm so I'd stick with that. But until you get it I suggest you check whether your stock cooling is working propertly.
m
l
a c 126 K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
February 11, 2010 8:30:30 AM

its the stock cooler, you need an aftermarket cooler and the Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus is a good choice.

Make sure you get some quality thermal paste like arctic silver 5
m
l
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
February 11, 2010 1:33:30 PM

Those temps are "normal" with stock cooler. The stock cooler's purpose is simply to keep the CPU from being failing under the normal warranty. My E8400 used to run about that hot, but now with new cooler and tower, I can run it @3.6 with temps < 45C.
m
l
!