When will the next wave of graphics cards hit?

bluzman32

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2008
I'm thinking about getting an nvidia 9800gt or a 4850, but I'm willing to wait a little while if there prices will be dropping soon. When will the next wave of cards hit which will hopefully force the prices for these cards down? Or should I just buy it right now?

4745454b

Titan
Rumors as I've heard them says new cards won't be out until next year. Late spring or summer time, although Nvidia might release something sooner seeing as their cards aren't so hot right now. AMD's next cards are rumored to be not much better then their current cards. They are expected to be not much more then a die shrink, allowing for faster clocks.

In my opinion, seeing as the currents cards are pretty good, and the next gen is anyones guess for Nvidia or just a bit better for AMD, you might as well buy now. Wait for a good deal for the holiday sales and buy a current gen card. It won't cost much, and the next gen cards probably won't be much better. As a side note, Nvidia's next cards are rumored to be DX10.1, although we've heard this before.

I doubt if we'll see a big reduction in the price of the cards. Both ATI and Nvidia have set price points on their performance and the only major difference seem to be the rebates. There are always sales that occur that drop the price of a specific card for awhile, usually manufacturers overstock, but i think prices will remain about the same for the forseeable future.