PSU Failure? Looking for second opinion

Jayfar

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
Hello,

I'm looking for some extra opinions on whether or not I have a defective power supply, and possibly some actions I can take to help prevent the problem from arising with the potential replacement. The PSU in question is the Corsair HX1000W Modular power supply http://corsair.com/products/hx1000/default.aspx.

I recently built a new system from scratch, and completed it four days ago. The first three days everything ran without a hitch, however when attempting to power up the computer this morning nothing responded. As soon as I pressed the power button, the lights/fans would turn on for a mere 1/8th of a second, and then stay off. Every attempt to use the power button after that gives no result.

Here are the steps I've taken to pinpoint the issue:
-I made sure the Power Switch is in the "I" position and that the Power Cord is plugged into a functioning wall socket. There is one green light on the motherboard that remains on at all times.
-I tested a different Power Cord to connect the PSU to the wall socket, and was still unable to power the system.
-The power switch wire is securely connected to the appropriate position on the motherboard, as is the reset wire.
-All of the required motherboard connections with the power supply are secure and present.
-The Heatsink and CPU Fan are still securely installed on the motherboard.

The next step I tried involved a PSU Test taken directly from Corsair's support website:
http://www.asktheramguy.com/v3/showthread.php?t=63991. When I performed this test with a single fan connected to the power supply, the fan/light came on for 1/8th of a second, and then nothing. I then performed this same test with a generic 200w PSU that I pulled from an older computer, and was able to successfully power the same fan indefinitely that the Corsair PSU failed at.

All of the previous steps taken have led me to believe that the power supply I have is faulty. Would any of you agree that this is likely the case? If not, what other factors or tests should I consider and perform? Additionally, with getting a replacement PSU, I'm understandably nervous about the same thing happening to it. It seems odd that the power supply would just stop working after a few days when it was performing so well before, and there were no changes that I made to its environment that I could say caused the problem. Is there anything I can do to prevent this problem in the future, or was I just unlucky?

Thanks for reading through all of this. All help and support is appreciated.

Here are some additional system specs, in case they are relevant: eVga GeForce GTX 280 SSC Edition, Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz, Intel BOXDX58SO LGA 1366 ATX motherboard, and Corsair Dominator 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

Jayfar

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
Thank you for the suggestion, Johnny.

I swapped out a different four-pin molex connector to connect the power supply to the fan, and was still unable to successfully power the fan with the Corsair PSU.

I'll be receiving a new power supply tomorrow (same model), so I will update with the results.

UPDATE:
New power supply works fine (for now). However, I now discover that my hard drive is apparently dead and not recognized by my motherboard, therefore I can't boot up into windows like I use to. I have something new to solve.