The Quad-Core, does it have a future?

How long will the Quad-Core be around?

• For sometime as the i7 isnt that much greater.

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • For sometime because of the costs involved with the i7.

Votes: 6 33.3%
  • For sometime because the sheer quantity of QuadCores around.

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Unpredictable.

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Not long because the i7 outweighs the use of the Quad.

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Not long as the Quads are not that great.

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters

OmegaStalker

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
As a whole with the new i7s out forcing extream users to abandon the use of 775 socket motherboards to the more expensive X58 socket what do you think is the future of the old 775 socket CPUs such as the Quad Core?

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
Always make sure you're in a good state when posting, lest you not realize what you post. At least you were just sleepy, and not, say, inebriated. I've seen what happens when THAT occurs. ;)

I personally expect that Core2Quad will start taking a back seat; it'll remain on the market for likely a year and a half to two years; possibly a bit longer, given that Core i7 has the distinct disadvantage of requiring a whole new socket, meaning that all those LGA 775 systems have C2Q as their only quad-core upgrade path. And since LGA 775 has been a consistent standard for Intel for years, that's a HUGE installed base; far larger than any socket AMD has had in the past years. (which has, in the same time span, gone from socket 754 & 940, to 939, and then on to AM2 and AM2+)

Meanwhile, I don't think the Core2Duos and their derivatives are going anywhere; Core i7 very clearly sits for a different market than exist for the likes of the E7300, Pentium Dual-Cores, or even the E8400s. For probably the first year or so, i7 will be limited to the pretty high-end home market, as well as the enterprise market.

And of course, with all those Core2Duos, rests the capability for Core2Quad. The fact that the C2Q's price is lower than the i7 isn't really working ALL that much in its factor, since the Phenom and Phenom II are cheaper still. However, the fact that it works with the incredibly common and affordable LGA 775 boards already common in the market will help it remain there for a while to come.

I think you guys are forgetting the mainstream duals and quads, Core i5.

Either way Core i7 still does a great job and the lowest end one is not that bad priced considering most places can get it from 2.66GHz to 3.8Ghz on the stock voltage and air cooling.

Thats why I want it.

IMHO, you need some different options:

Suggestion A: The general user market doesn't care, just so long as it's on sale at WalMart.

Suggestion B: It makes little difference, because software writers are 18 months+ behind hardware anyhow.

Suggestion C: This is clearly a Bias'd poll, since Phenom II is going to put Intel out of business in the next 6 weeks. Yet the fanboi who wrote this has conveniently "forgotten" to mention it at all. Rally Forth and Burn the Heretic!!

Suggestion D: (To Paraphrase) "You are misreading the marketplace if you believe the end customer cares..."

And, of course, E: "Wha...?!?!" :D

Silverion77

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
When u say "future" are u referring to sales?
Or their general use??

Like for me, i have one and i probably wont bother upgrading till the 32nm Westmere. But for sales, i feel that intel will launch the cheaper i5 and eventually lose Core 2

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
^ Exactly... My b3 q6600 has been tearing through everything, so I don't see a reason to upgrade for a while. By the time I do, they may not be making 4 core chips anymore.

Scott, you have a good number for some working girls? LOL

caamsa

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006

Read this I copied my post from another thread.

"Although both Intel and AMD were originally expected to fully transition to DDR3 across their product lines in 2009, with the two players now postponing their DDR3-only chipset schedules, the DDR3 generation is not expected to arrive until 2010, according to sources at motherboard makers.

Since DDR3 memory prices have not fallen as much as Intel expected, while demand for its Core i7 CPU and X58 chipsets also has not yet met expectations, Intel has decided to postpone its DDR3-only 5-series chipsets until September this year.

Meanwhile, AMD's is still struggling with technical difficulties to achieve stability and compatibly with the DDR3 controller built into its AM3-based CPUs, and so the company is also unlikely to transition to DDR3 until it is able to come out with a workable BIOS, added the sources."

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20090114PD221.html

"Intel has recently decided to postpone its next-generation mainstream CPU Lynnfield along with the P55 chipset to the end of August or the beginning of September this year, and may postpone them to an even later time depending on the market situation, according to sources at motherboard makers.

Both Lynnfield and P55 were originally scheduled to launch by the end of July. The economic decline which has caused motherboard makers to suffer overstocked chipset inventory is the major reason for the pull back, according to the sources.

After the P55 launches, Intel plans to phase out non-IGP P45 and P43 chipsets and will transition its 4-series IGP chipsets to the entry-level.

In additional news, Intel will provide engineering samples of its next-generation entry-level CPU Havendale to motherboard makers in February this year, while design validation test (DVT) will be complete in July to August with mass production in September to October. However, Intel has postponed shipping to January next year to give its current entry-level CPU inventory more time to clear."

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20090115PD218.html

Welcome to the jungle....... :D