Cheaper AND Faster? Whats the catch?

mcbath

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2005
Im buying a DFI LanParty UT X58-T3eH8, X58 motherboard and i7-920. and I was looking for 6gb of memory for it and my local online store is selling the following :

1) OCZ Platinum XTC DDR3 1600MHz 6GB KIT - 3x Platinum Z3 XTC 2GB, CL7-7-7-24, 1.65 Volts, 240pin (costs 1590 kr)
2) Corsair Dominator DHX+ DDR3 1600MHz 6GB - Kit w/3x 2GB XMS3 modules, CL8-8-8-24, for Core i7 (costs 1949 kr)

.... so what am I missing here?

btw, both those options will work on that motherboard right? I find the memory compatability specs on the DFI site to be a little confusing tbh.

mcbath

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2005

My problem is I don't see much competition is one is faster AND cheaper :) Which is why I am worried ........

You are paying for the name "Corsair" and "Dominator".
So if you want to brag about having expensive Dominator memory in your PC that is actually no better than a lot of cheaper memory, buy the Corsair.
If you want faster, less expensive memory, but will not have the name Corsair or Dominator on it, buy the OCZ.

You made a good choice.

To be fair though, Corsair does have a reputation of making good memory. (or at least they have very strick quality control) You seldom have problems with it, or get a bad stick. I have never had to return Corsair memory (yet), I have had to return at one time or another just about every other brand I can think of.