Sign in with
Your question

Card reader without cooling fan control

Last response: in Overclocking
February 11, 2010 3:47:02 PM

Hello all, recently got a replacement card reader for my desktop. Problem new reader has no cooling fan control. the previous one had, so what do i do with the spare connector?
a b K Overclocking
February 13, 2010 1:06:59 PM

What do you mean by "spare connector". Case fan power cable or something else?
February 14, 2010 10:08:58 AM

sorry I didn't clarify. There is a 4 wire lead going to the Fan controller switch.
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
February 14, 2010 10:20:25 AM

OK! Sounds like you have a fan that has a cable with a tiny 4 pin connector on the end. Is that correct? Where is that fan located? Is it installed on the cpu heatsink or somewhere on the pc case?
February 14, 2010 11:33:19 AM

its in the heatsink
a b K Overclocking
February 14, 2010 11:59:15 AM

OK! The fan installed on the cpu heatsink must be connected to the motherboard. Otherwise the system will not work. There should be a tiny connection somewhere near the cpu. It may be labelled as "cpu_fan" or something similar. Manufactuers don't always use the same nomenclature.

Please check you motherboard and your motherboard manual for the location of the connector on the motherboard. manuals usually have a diagram showing the location of fan and other connections.

You can also connect case fans to the motherboard. The connections are usually labelled as case_fan1, case_fan2 or chassis_fan1, chassis_fan2 and so on.

February 15, 2010 9:07:06 PM

Thats it, Im sorted.
Thanx v much Mr. Lucky for taking the time to solve.
Owe u one!
!