Hi

I have a Windows XP SP2 system that, when I log into it, displays my
background, but never displays my desktop icons, Start button, or anything
else. I had just installed a trial version of Adobe Photoshop Elements.
This behavior began after the installation completed and I rebooted.

What can I do to diagnose and fix this problem?

Many thanks!
tl

Hi,

Are you sure the installation isn't just completing? Do you see a lot of
hard drive activity (look at the light)?

Your user profile could have been corrupted, have you tried safe mode yet?

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Terry Lemons" <terry.lemons@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I have a Windows XP SP2 system that, when I log into it, displays my
> background, but never displays my desktop icons, Start button, or anything
> else. I had just installed a trial version of Adobe Photoshop Elements.
> This behavior began after the installation completed and I rebooted.
>
> What can I do to diagnose and fix this problem?
>
> Many thanks!
> tl

Hi Rick

Thanks for the reply. Yep, I'm sure the installation is complete. I've
rebooted several times, left the system alone for longish periods (~20-30
minutes), and confirmed that the disk has no heavy activity.

I rebooted into Safe Mode, and tried to log into both my user account, and
to the Administrator account. Both accounts display the same behavior,
nothing appears (no icons, desktop, Start button, tray).

Thanks
tl

Terry Lemons wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have a Windows XP SP2 system that, when I log into it, displays my
> background, but never displays my desktop icons, Start button, or anything
> else. I had just installed a trial version of Adobe Photoshop Elements.
> This behavior began after the installation completed and I rebooted.
>
> What can I do to diagnose and fix this problem?
>
> Many thanks!
> tl

You could try system restore. Just search for system restore on
Help and Support.

gls858

Sorry, that won't work. Other than the background, there is NOTHING on the
desktop. I can't see Start, so I can't (or don't know how to) get to any
programs.

tl
"gls858" <gls858@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Terry Lemons wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I have a Windows XP SP2 system that, when I log into it, displays my
>> background, but never displays my desktop icons, Start button, or
>> anything else. I had just installed a trial version of Adobe Photoshop
>> Elements. This behavior began after the installation completed and I
>> rebooted.
>>
>> What can I do to diagnose and fix this problem?
>>
>> Many thanks!
>> tl
> You could try system restore. Just search for system restore on
> Help and Support.
>
> gls858

Hi,

From the hung logon, hit ctrl+shift+escape to bring up task manager. From
the applications tab, click new task, then enter "control appwiz.cpl" and
see if you can uninstall the trial software. Then restart and see if you can
get back in. If not, restart and this time use 'safe mode with command
prompt' and run rstrui.exe from the C:\Windows\system32\repair folder and
use System Restore to go back to a date prior to the installation.