Logon doesn't complete

Hi

I have a Windows XP SP2 system that, when I log into it, displays my
background, but never displays my desktop icons, Start button, or anything
else. I had just installed a trial version of Adobe Photoshop Elements.
This behavior began after the installation completed and I rebooted.

What can I do to diagnose and fix this problem?

Many thanks!
tl
5 answers Last reply
More about logon doesn complete

    Hi,

    Are you sure the installation isn't just completing? Do you see a lot of
    hard drive activity (look at the light)?

    Your user profile could have been corrupted, have you tried safe mode yet?

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Terry Lemons" <terry.lemons@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I have a Windows XP SP2 system that, when I log into it, displays my
    > background, but never displays my desktop icons, Start button, or anything
    > else. I had just installed a trial version of Adobe Photoshop Elements.
    > This behavior began after the installation completed and I rebooted.
    >
    > What can I do to diagnose and fix this problem?
    >
    > Many thanks!
    > tl

    Hi Rick

    Thanks for the reply. Yep, I'm sure the installation is complete. I've
    rebooted several times, left the system alone for longish periods (~20-30
    minutes), and confirmed that the disk has no heavy activity.

    I rebooted into Safe Mode, and tried to log into both my user account, and
    to the Administrator account. Both accounts display the same behavior,
    nothing appears (no icons, desktop, Start button, tray).

    Thanks
    tl

    Terry Lemons wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I have a Windows XP SP2 system that, when I log into it, displays my
    > background, but never displays my desktop icons, Start button, or anything
    > else. I had just installed a trial version of Adobe Photoshop Elements.
    > This behavior began after the installation completed and I rebooted.
    >
    > What can I do to diagnose and fix this problem?
    >
    > Many thanks!
    > tl

    You could try system restore. Just search for system restore on
    Help and Support.

    gls858

    Sorry, that won't work. Other than the background, there is NOTHING on the
    desktop. I can't see Start, so I can't (or don't know how to) get to any
    programs.

    tl
    "gls858" <gls858@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Terry Lemons wrote:
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I have a Windows XP SP2 system that, when I log into it, displays my
    >> background, but never displays my desktop icons, Start button, or
    >> anything else. I had just installed a trial version of Adobe Photoshop
    >> Elements. This behavior began after the installation completed and I
    >> rebooted.
    >>
    >> What can I do to diagnose and fix this problem?
    >>
    >> Many thanks!
    >> tl
    > You could try system restore. Just search for system restore on
    > Help and Support.
    >
    > gls858

    Hi,

    From the hung logon, hit ctrl+shift+escape to bring up task manager. From
    the applications tab, click new task, then enter "control appwiz.cpl" and
    see if you can uninstall the trial software. Then restart and see if you can
    get back in. If not, restart and this time use 'safe mode with command
    prompt' and run rstrui.exe from the C:\Windows\system32\repair folder and
    use System Restore to go back to a date prior to the installation.

    --

    > Hi Rick
    >
    > Thanks for the reply. Yep, I'm sure the installation is complete. I've
    > rebooted several times, left the system alone for longish periods (~20-30
    > minutes), and confirmed that the disk has no heavy activity.
    >
    > I rebooted into Safe Mode, and tried to log into both my user account, and
    > to the Administrator account. Both accounts display the same behavior,
    > nothing appears (no icons, desktop, Start button, tray).
    >
    > Thanks
    > tl
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Are you sure the installation isn't just completing? Do you see a lot of
    >> hard drive activity (look at the light)?
    >>
    >> Your user profile could have been corrupted, have you tried safe mode
    >> yet?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "Terry Lemons" <terry.lemons@comcast.net> wrote in message
    >>> Hi
    >>>
    >>> I have a Windows XP SP2 system that, when I log into it, displays my
    >>> background, but never displays my desktop icons, Start button, or
    >>> anything else. I had just installed a trial version of Adobe Photoshop
    >>> Elements. This behavior began after the installation completed and I
    >>> rebooted.
    >>>
    >>> What can I do to diagnose and fix this problem?
    >>>
    >>> Many thanks!
    >>> tl

Displays Windows XP