Sign in with
Your question

Older Thermalright XP-120 and an LGA 1156 i7 860?

Last response: in Overclocking
February 11, 2010 6:15:27 PM

I have an older Thermalright XP-120 heatsink with a 120mm fan in my HTPC case and was wondering if it would be sufficient for use on my new i7 860 and Asus P7P55D Pro mobo. I found a bolt through kit that should accomodate its install, but I am wondering about its ability to cool.

Space is limited, as is height, or I would probably try the AXP-140. The Case is an old Accent HT-400.

Thanks
a b K Overclocking
February 12, 2010 5:34:43 AM

My guess is that you'd be pressing your luck trying to use that on an i7 CPU as the newer stuff all runs far hotter than the hardware that cooler was designed to work with.

m
l
February 12, 2010 7:26:41 AM

i guess you could try it, but id expect unacceptably high temps from that HSF/CPU combination
m
l
Related resources
February 12, 2010 3:41:02 PM

Hey! I had that cooler on my AMD X2 4400+ back in the day I think! I'd be curious to know how that handles your i7. You can try it, but hope you keep $30-$60 lying around in case it doesn't work out so well for you.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 12, 2010 5:31:46 PM

Arcanum777 said:
I have an older Thermalright XP-120 heatsink with a 120mm fan in my HTPC case and was wondering if it would be sufficient for use on my new i7 860 and Asus P7P55D Pro mobo. I found a bolt through kit that should accomodate its install, but I am wondering about its ability to cool.

It was rated for the P4 Prescott 3.2 ,with an 89/103 watt TDP, depending on which spec chip you got.
The Core I7-860 has a TDP of 95 watts
I would think it would do better than the stock cooler, even if only by a small margin, simply due to the larger fin surface area and 120mm fan.

TDP Explained
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 13, 2010 12:49:12 PM

The original Thermalright XP-120 was a low profile cpu heatsink designed for use with AMD K8 and Intel P4 cpu's. With an adapter kit it should work with with newer cpu's. Here is a link to a technical review done 6 years ago:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article186-page1.html

Here's a link to another technical review which indicated that the cpu heatsink was not compatible with all motherboards due to the location and height of capacitors and memory modules:

http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/thermalright_xp...

Considering it was designed for Intel Pentium P4 cpu's that ran hot there is no reason not to try it. I say if it fits, then go for it and let us know what happens.

BTW - I still have my original Thermalright Ultra 120 - the grandfather of 160mm tall, tower style heatsinks. It can still hold its own against the competition.
m
l
!