problems starting up

bertt

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
I am building a new system (specs below) put everything together, powered up and I get no power to the keyboard (P2) and no signal to the monitor (using the supplied DVI - DSub adapter). I have tried a different keyboard and the other DVI output on the video card, still nothing. I know the monitor and both keyboards work. Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Asus P5e WS mobo
Intel Core 2 Quad 6600 CPU
ASUS EN9800GT ULTIMATE video card
2gb ram
SATA HDD and dvd-r/cd-r.
ZALMAN ZM600-HP 600W power supply
Thermaltake Armor Case
ZALMAN CNPS9700 LED 110mm 2 Ball CPU Cooler

You might want to double check all of your power connections. Pull them and inspect them and then re-install them. Also make sure you have the 6 pin PCI-e power connection to the GPU too. Also double check your CPU HSF has been properly been installed. If it's off a bit it won't let you boot up properly.

bertt

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
I get power to all fans, and the video card, pulled and re-seated all power cables, still have power to all fans and Video card, still no luck

Well the best way to eliminate a possible short on the mobo is to pull it all out of the case and lay it on a non-conductive surface (cardboard works). Plug in everything needed (CPU, GPU, 1 stick of DDR2) and try to power it on. If that doesn't work than I'd suspect a bad mobo or a bad PSU. Now you will need to re-seat the CPU HSF to the CPU before somewhere within this process of troubleshooting.

Did you plug the 4-pin CPU power connector to the motherboard? Is this your board?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowImage.aspx?CurImage=13-131-236-04.jpg&Image=13-131-236-03.jpg%2c13-131-236-04.jpg%2c13-131-236-05.jpg%2c13-131-236-06.jpg%2c13-131-236-07.jpg%2c13-131-236-08.jpg%2c13-131-236-09.jpg%2c13-131-236-02.jpg&S7ImageFlag=0&WaterMark=1&Item=N82E16813131236&Depa=0&Description=ASUS%20P5E%20WS%20Professional%20ATX%20Intel%20Motherboard

If it is, the 4-pin CPU power connector is in the bottom, left of the picture (the upper left corner when installed in your system).

Edit: Click on the picture looking straight down on the motherboard. It's actually an 8-pin connector with 4 pins covered up. If your PSU has an 8-pin CPU connector, you can remove the cover from the other 4 pins and connect the 8-pin connector.

13-131-236-05.jpg

Yeah, good point. It's in the lower left of the picture, which could be over looked at. You might also want to double check that you dont' have any bent/broken pins on the mobo, under your CPU while your pulling and re-seating the CPU HSF. I've also haven't had issues with only using the 4 pin part of the 8 pin power connector there. Some mobo's are fine without the 8 pin connection, but I'm not sure if this one is or not. Usually if they have 4 pins taped over them you will usually be fine with just 4 pins.

bertt

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
First of all, thanks to everyone for your responses.

I do have power connected to the (what the mobo calls) EATX12v. The manual for the PSU says "Two ATX12v CPU 2x2 (4-Pin) power cables can be combined to form an EPS12v CPU 8-pin power cable."

There was the black cap over 4 of the pins on the Mobo, no instructions about that of course, other than to say "do not forget to connect the 8-pin / 4-pin EATX 12v power plug, otherwise the the system will not boot." I doesn't say which to use. Since the PSU came with two four pin onnectors for the CPU power, I removed the cap and used both. there is only one way they will both fit, so I know they are connected correctly.

I guess the next step is to pull it and try it outside the case as Luny suggested. I will update with how that goes, I will also double check/inspect the back of the board and if all that doesn't work, pull and check the seating of the CPU. Thanks again.

lga775socketmh5.jpg

I meant for you to have checked the pins under the CPU itself, like pictured above. There are lots of little pre-bent pins that press against your CPU on the bottom. It won't hurt to check the bottom side of the mobo too, maybe you'll see something there.

bertt

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
oh, I see. I did check when I installed the CPU and everything looked good, although I was concerned that the plastic protective cover was loose when I took the mobo out of the bag.. it should have been held in place. I will check it again when I pull the CPU.

Is it possible that you don't have your power switch (PS) hooked up right on your mobo?? Usually the white wire, common color, is the negative and red/black or something like that is the positive wire. You could also have a faulty power switch too, so you can jumper the switch connection at the mobo, if you want to verify that.

Yeah probably, but it doesn't hurt to double check. I've had switches that would spin everything up, but would immediately shut off, so I'm just running down things in my head to check. Did you try pulling everything out yet?

bertt

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
pulled everything... CPU was installed right, can only sit in there one way... all of the pins look perfectly in line to me.... tried reversing the power switch sonnection... tried using the other stick of RAM.
Right now ready to RMA the whole lot of it... problem is, I don't know which part is faulty.

You might want to try and get a different PSU. Even get one locally, with the idea that you would take it back if things didn't work out. That was my first guess was the PSU, but needed to try and verify it.