Audio over HDMI with DVI-HDMI adapter?

farmkid

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
My old MB is on its way out, so it's time to upgrade. I've just about decided on what to get, but I have a couple of questions I can't find answers to. Here goes:

The MB I'm probably going to get is the ASRock A780GXE or the ASRock AOD790GX. I'm thinking of these two because they will provide me with a low-power, quite solution that will still run the games my kids want to play (mainly the Lego games and some older titles). However, I'm also thinking ahead to possibly converting it to a HTPC at some later date. Here's where the question comes in. Both of these boards have a DVI output, but not HDMI. They also do not have a S/PDIF output. I know that DVI doesn't carry audio. However, as I understand it, the last couple of generations of AMD cards have the ability to carry audio over DVI when a DVI-HDMI adapter is used. Does anyone know if the 780G and 790GX can do the same?

Also, I've have a hard time finding a good comparison of the video capabilities of these two chipsets compared to discrete solutions. I'm currently running a Radeon X1600 Pro AGP. What little I've found suggests that the 780G is roughly comparable to what I have. Is that so?

G

However, as I understand it, the last couple of generations of AMD cards have the ability to carry audio over DVI when a DVI-HDMI adapter is used. Does anyone know if the 780G and 790GX can do the same?

That's exactly what information I was looking for too.
Could someone post an answer here for reference if you know the answer to this?