San Pedro

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
It's likely I'll be moving to Japan soon, and I want to ship my computer to myself, but am worried about the ability to actually use it there. I also have an HDTV I would consider shipping out there too, would I be able to use that in japan?

Also does anyone know the price of PC components in Japan?

japan uses same current as europe meaning 240v instead of 120.

what what you will do is different cable for your power supply and make sure you change it to 240v setting and your good to go

as for the tv I bet they have different system since america has everything else from entire world. I remember how my cousin brought dreamcast from germany and it didnt work with our tv haha

San Pedro

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
Hm, I think my PSU should be able to change. I think Japan tv's are PAL, but they are the same region blu-ray as the US. I'm wondering if I could use it with a cable or satillete box. At 42" it's probably too big for Japanese living quarters anyway.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
No Japan is NTSC for sure.... just check out your favorite torrent site for some console games from Japan, they all are NTSC.

Of course almost none of them have any English :( lol oh well some things are worth waiting for (and paying for!!!)

klonedesu

Distinguished
May 10, 2008
Ugh, it's not letting me edit my post. :??:

You should be able to use your PC fine, just make sure your power supply is set correctly. I would double check on it to make sure the 120v setting works with 110v, but The two machines I used in Japan worked fine in the states with the 120v setting. Yes they use NTSC not PAL so no worries there.
Sorry, I don't know about the HD thing since I didn't have HD when I lived there.

San Pedro

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
Hey thanks for the info guys. I'll have to check it out to see if my OCZ Gamexstream 600 will be able to run on 110v. I don't see a switch on the back to change voltage.

San Pedro

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
Yup, that's mine. I think shipping it over there will be cheaper and easier than building a new one there. Plus I already have this one how I want it.

Quick question: When you convert everything to $ isn't prices ~ the same? Also you would have to consider the possible damage that could happen to the PC when being shipped. esp. if you have high end stuff/water cooling,etc.

klonedesu

Distinguished
May 10, 2008
Yeah, the $ was stronger than yen when I lived there(It was around 120Yen= 1 Dollar) but now the $ is only a smidget higher(At this very moment, 100Yen= 99 Cents, It's only one penny higher than yen lol). But computer parts are X% more expensive in Japan so it will cost you more to buy new components there. Here's and example:

An E8400 at Amazon Japan is 206080 Yen(That's about $204.02)
http://www.amazon.co.jp/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?__mk_ja_JP=%83J%83%5E%83J%83i&url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=e8400&x=0&y=0

An E8400 at Amazon US is $164.99 (Same price at NewEgg too)
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=e8400&x=0&y=0

Ouch, right?

I am a little late responding to this post.

I spent three years in Japan. My U.S. specification computer, television, vcr, cd player, tuner amp, and microwave all worked fine in Japan. No problems as Japan is on 110 volts and NTSC. The only odd thing I remember is the clock on the microwave. Can't remember if it ran a little fast or a little slow.

PS - I got to watch a lot of U.S. shows on Japanese TV. The shows were in the original English Language with Japanese sub-titles.

Good Luck!

San Pedro

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
Wow, thanks for all the info guys. I really appreciate it. I'm thinking I will try and ship my computer over (will probably take out the GPU and maybe cpu and heat sink for shipping). I really don't want to start over on a new build considering all the software and music and movies I have installed on this thing, plus it does seem like components are more expensive there. I'm going to wait on the TV since mine might be too big for Japanese apartments.