ASRock motherboard stopped booting from harddisk

ildimoney

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
SOLVED:

Hello,

Long story.. But I formatted my computer with Win XP, and everything was fine. I installed some motherboard and graphic drivers, and I figured I might as well update the BIOS, so I flashed the BIOS from Windows and it gave me no errors. I rebooted but got the error "CMOS Checksum Bad", I tried pressing F1 for "Load default bios settings and continue" but another error occured; Now I don't remember exactly what it was, but something about display.sys and line 1 in config.sys being missing or corrupt.

I tried asking google about CMOS Checksum Bad, and I got made the conclusion to reset bios settings, I tried both removing the battery and moving the jumper (not at same time). But this is where I'm affraid I killed it.. I lost focus and forgot to move the jumper back from pin 2 and 3, booted and all I got was a black screen, and I quickly figured it out. Removed power again and placed the jumper correctly. (But as I said I'm affraid this killed it, since I read somewhere that power and jumper is a bad combination).

Booting now still gives me the "CMOS Checksum Bad" error and I also get a "CMOS Clock Not Set", that verifies that CMOS memory has been reset. But when I press F1 to continue, it tells me to put in a media, so now I'm apparently booting from CD-drive. I'm not able to see the harddisk when I press F11 for boot menu, but I am able to see it in the boot priority setup, and in the IDE Setup in the bios. I usually load SATA drivers from a floppy disk when using the Windows installation, but with SATA drivers the Windows installation is not able to find any harddisks either.

My computer is about 3 years old, custom built.
Specs:

Win XP Pro SP2 86x
AMD Athlon 64 3800+ X2
ASRock 939DUAL-SATA2
Some rediculous ram which name I can't even remember, but 2 blocks of 1024mb DDR400, PC320
Maxtor DiamondMax10 250GB
nVidia 7800GT 256mb

Any inputs appreciated
Alex

ildimoney

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
It does remember values, I can change them in the bios and it they will still be changed at next boot.. I strongly doubt that CMOS Battery is the problem. But thanks for the input.

Well it kinda seems like the harddisk is not even connected, or connected properly. But I guess it wouldn't show up in BIOS if so..

ildimoney

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
SOLVED:
Alright, it seems I was plain stupid when making sure my hdd was connected. But I managed when I came home a bit more focused and I found that it wasn't connected properly..
The display.sys and config.sys was then solved by chkdsk /r in the recovery console in the Windows installation.