Is this H50 good enough...

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

So after playing around with my i5 750 I want to take it to 4 Ghz. The motherboard is a GA-P55A-UD3 and I have a 550W Antec NewTruePower as well as a rather power hungry video card (ATI 4890). I want to know if my cooler, a Corsair H50, is good enough to hit that speed without the machine overheating on me. At the moment I run it stock and I get about 52 C at 100% usage on prime95.

I also don't know if my power supply is sufficient enough to do the job. It's maybe 4 months old, not much usage (I rotate this i5 with my phenom II 720) and I just decided that I want to give this a go. I am not new to OC'ing so I am sure the motherboard can support these speeds, the memory (Patriot DDR3 1333) should take the speeds, so I just want to get some feedback before I take this adventure on. Oh and I am running in a Coolermaster 922 case, so I have good airflow.

Thanks folks!

notty22

Distinguished
Your H50 can handle things IMO. I only hit 64 MAX with prime 95 in a 69f large room. AT 4.00 ghz at 1.42 volt. I can set it lower but with power saving features on, this is what it likes. I would not o/c your video card at the same time, your probably using every bit of that 550 if you o/c your gpu at the same time. I say this only because you use alot more power or you lose efficiency either way you look at it, its what all reviews seem to say.

G

Yeah, I figure OC one or another but not both with the limited PSU that I have. I was thinking of adding a few fans and a fan controller just to be safe.

G

Really? Wait, if it pulls 434W from the wall, how does that translate to 360W from the PSU? Can you link me an article or something explaining that?

Status
Not open for further replies.