Dell Poweredge400SC cannot standby?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

Hi all,

I feel this is annoying. After being sent to standby and the fan rest for 2
seconds, the Poweredge400sc automatically restart: everything else is
working, only the monitor was shutdown.

By moving the mouse a little bit or hit a key on the keyboard, the monitor
can be turned on, and it shows a log-on-enter-user-password screen...

That's on!

It only sleeps for 2 seconds then everything was back on: fan, CPU,
harddisk, etc.

What is the problem?

FYI, I have done the following debugging:

1. I downloaded a dumppro.exe, and did in command line:

dumppro admin minsleep=s3

2. I downloaded ATI Rage XL new drivers, so it does not prevent me from
going standby now...

3. I updated the Flash BIOS to version A09, I think it is the newest...

4. I set the NIC to be allowing remote wake-up on LAN.

5. I set in the BIOS the suspend mode to be S3, and the low power mode to be
off(so I can remotely wake it up on LAN from hibernation or off, but that's
another issue. I now want standby first,... sleep first, wakeup that's a
later issue...)

6. I set in the BIOS WAKE-UP-REMOTELY to be ON.

That's all I've tried...

Still not able to go standby fully...

What's wrong?

Thanks a lot!
3 answers Last reply
More about dell poweredge400sc standby
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    From: "networm" <networm8848@yahoo.com>

    | Hi all,
    |
    | I feel this is annoying. After being sent to standby and the fan rest for 2
    | seconds, the Poweredge400sc automatically restart: everything else is
    | working, only the monitor was shutdown.
    |
    | By moving the mouse a little bit or hit a key on the keyboard, the monitor
    | can be turned on, and it shows a log-on-enter-user-password screen...
    |
    | That's on!
    |
    | It only sleeps for 2 seconds then everything was back on: fan, CPU,
    | harddisk, etc.
    |
    | What is the problem?
    |
    | FYI, I have done the following debugging:
    |
    | 1. I downloaded a dumppro.exe, and did in command line:
    |
    | dumppro admin minsleep=s3
    |
    | 2. I downloaded ATI Rage XL new drivers, so it does not prevent me from
    | going standby now...
    |
    | 3. I updated the Flash BIOS to version A09, I think it is the newest...
    |
    | 4. I set the NIC to be allowing remote wake-up on LAN.
    |
    | 5. I set in the BIOS the suspend mode to be S3, and the low power mode to be
    | off(so I can remotely wake it up on LAN from hibernation or off, but that's
    | another issue. I now want standby first,... sleep first, wakeup that's a
    | later issue...)
    |
    | 6. I set in the BIOS WAKE-UP-REMOTELY to be ON.
    |
    | That's all I've tried...
    |
    | Still not able to go standby fully...
    |
    | What's wrong?
    |
    | Thanks a lot!

    It's a server platform. It should be running Win2K Server or Win2003 server. Why WinXP ?

    Maybe it doesn't go into standby because one wouldn't want a server to go into a standby
    mode or sleep mode.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    > From: "networm" <networm8848@yahoo.com>
    >
    > | Hi all,
    > |
    > | I feel this is annoying. After being sent to standby and the fan rest
    > for 2
    > | seconds, the Poweredge400sc automatically restart: everything else is
    > | working, only the monitor was shutdown.
    > |
    > | By moving the mouse a little bit or hit a key on the keyboard, the
    > monitor
    > | can be turned on, and it shows a log-on-enter-user-password screen...
    > |
    > | That's on!
    > |
    > | It only sleeps for 2 seconds then everything was back on: fan, CPU,
    > | harddisk, etc.
    > |
    > | What is the problem?
    > |
    > | FYI, I have done the following debugging:
    > |
    > | 1. I downloaded a dumppro.exe, and did in command line:
    > |
    > | dumppro admin minsleep=s3
    > |
    > | 2. I downloaded ATI Rage XL new drivers, so it does not prevent me from
    > | going standby now...
    > |
    > | 3. I updated the Flash BIOS to version A09, I think it is the newest...
    > |
    > | 4. I set the NIC to be allowing remote wake-up on LAN.
    > |
    > | 5. I set in the BIOS the suspend mode to be S3, and the low power mode
    > to be
    > | off(so I can remotely wake it up on LAN from hibernation or off, but
    > that's
    > | another issue. I now want standby first,... sleep first, wakeup that's a
    > | later issue...)
    > |
    > | 6. I set in the BIOS WAKE-UP-REMOTELY to be ON.
    > |
    > | That's all I've tried...
    > |
    > | Still not able to go standby fully...
    > |
    > | What's wrong?
    > |
    > | Thanks a lot!
    > |

    > It's a server platform. It should be running Win2K Server or Win2003
    > server. Why WinXP ?
    >
    > Maybe it doesn't go into standby because one wouldn't want a server to go
    > into a standby
    > mode or sleep mode.
    >
    > --
    > Dave
    > http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

    Yes, it is a server, but I used it with Windows XP for personal use... Thank
    you ! Any more thoughts?
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment,microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics (More info?)

    From: "networm" <networm8848@yahoo.com>

    | Yes, it is a server, but I used it with Windows XP for personal use... Thank
    | you ! Any more thoughts?

    Don't expect it to go into sleep and standby modes. Server platforms are NOT workstation
    platforms and their hardware reflects a different philosophy of use.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Microsoft Windows XP