Sign in with
Your question

Bad Mobo?

Last response: in Motherboards
February 18, 2009 9:29:55 PM

I have a gigabyte pro sli...after power surge it will only turn on and off with the i/o switch on rear.It comes on all fans and cpu operate.monitor comes on says no signal and turns off.I checked monitor on another computer it works.Dvd player wont come on and power switch in front doesnt work.

More about : bad mobo

February 18, 2009 10:17:51 PM

Probably 1/2 fried PSU, but coulda fried everything with it.
February 18, 2009 10:24:07 PM

THanks for the info Roadrunner
Related resources
a b C Monitor
a c 177 V Motherboard
February 19, 2009 2:59:53 PM

Do you have a case speaker hooked up? If not, buy($3)/beg/borrow/steal one! You need its' diagnostic info... Often, a computer shop that builds/repairs will have enogh of 'em laying around that they'll just give you one.
February 19, 2009 3:38:49 PM

bilbat said:
Do you have a case speaker hooked up? If not, buy($3)/beg/borrow/steal one! You need its' diagnostic info... Often, a computer shop that builds/repairs will have enogh of 'em laying around that they'll just give you one.

im not sure what you are talking about...i have an antec speaker system hooked up to it..6 channel.Is it for listening to the beep codes? Thanks for the reply
a b C Monitor
a c 177 V Motherboard
February 19, 2009 3:56:54 PM

No no - the beep codes come through an on-board, universal to all MOBOs, hookup. I'm not sure which MOBO you have, but here's an example:
February 19, 2009 8:36:11 PM

bilbat said:
No no - the beep codes come through an on-board, universal to all MOBOs, hookup. I'm not sure which MOBO you have, but here's an example:
http://img3.imageshack.us/img3/8/speakerun9.jpg

ok i will try that..mobo is a gigabyte Ga-k8n Pro Sli....radeon 1300 video....AMD 3500 thanks for all the help......
a b C Monitor
a c 177 V Motherboard
February 19, 2009 9:31:12 PM

here's the cast of culprits:
a b C Monitor
a c 177 V Motherboard
February 20, 2009 1:17:39 PM

Here here! That's one of the things I'd really like to get in a 'sticky'; always use a reputable surge protector, from a manufacturer with a 'plugged-in-damage' insurance policy, even if you've 'gone cheap' everywhere else; among the others are use of anti-static wristbands and pads (and you really don't need the pad for one build - the bag the MOBO shipped in will work fine, if you set it up right) when building; and, one I try to post weekly - DON'T use @BIOS!!! EVER!!!
February 20, 2009 6:34:41 PM

Quote:
You learned the hard way about NOT using surge protection. Hope its not that bad, good luck.

well thanks for responding,but i alwys use a surge protector.the last 2 comp. i built had surge protectors on them...funny thing is nothing else burnt up just whatever was on the surge protector :o 
!