Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Two different hard drives

Last response: in Storage
March 25, 2010 10:40:37 PM

Hey everyone, I have two different hard drives now and was wondering what you guys would do if you had these two? I really don't want to keep this new one that I just got back through an RMA to sit around for nothing especially since i've read that it's better than the one that's currently in my system.

Anyways, the new one I just got from RMA'ing my old WD raptor, is a new and improved WD Velociraptor 150 GB :) 

The one that is currently in my custom build is a WD Black Caviar 500 GB with windows 7 home premium OEM installed to it.

What should I do with this second better hard drive? Should I install the windows 7 home premium OEM that I have onto it and put it in a raid set up or are there better ideas our there for my situation? OEM just ties windows 7 to the motherboard and not the hard drive right?

Thanks for the help as always :) 

More about : hard drives

March 25, 2010 10:41:50 PM

I have already used approx 160 GB of my 500 GB hard drive too.
March 25, 2010 11:59:53 PM

Micccx said:
Hey everyone, I have two different hard drives now and was wondering what you guys would do if you had these
two? I really don't want to keep this new one that I just got back through an RMA to sit around for nothing especially since i've read that it's better than the one that's currently in my system.

Anyways, the new one I just got from RMA'ing my old WD raptor, is a new and improved WD Velociraptor 150 GB :) 

The one that is currently in my custom build is a WD Black Caviar 500 GB with windows 7 home premium OEM installed to it.

What should I do with this second better hard drive? Should I install the windows 7 home premium OEM that I have onto it and put it in a raid set up or are there better ideas our there for my situation? OEM just ties windows 7 to the motherboard and not the hard drive right?

Thanks for the help as always :) 

Hey,
since the hard drives spin at different speeds you do not want raid otherwise you would make the raptor slower. Instead just reinstall windows on the raptor and any games or apps you use a lot because it has a significantly faster seek/write time than your 500gb drive. just use the 500gb for data like music or movies or stuff you dont use but dont want to throw away :p 

hope this helps,
cwheeler
Related resources
March 26, 2010 12:01:12 AM

btw the faster seek/write time will make your comp start faster and games and apps load faster too :) 
March 26, 2010 1:41:01 AM

awesome! :)  can i have them both hooked up inside my computer though? or will I only be able to hook up one at a time, and take the other one completely out (or leave it in there unplugged to anything)?
March 26, 2010 2:05:17 AM

Also would that give me combined 650 GB?
a c 209 $ Windows 7
a c 415 G Storage
March 26, 2010 2:29:36 AM

There will be no problem hooking up both drives. Your best bet would be to install Windows on the Velociraptor since it will benefit most from that drives' faster access times. Use the other drive for bulk storage of data files.

It's gotta be kosher to swap hard drives with an OEM license, otherwise you'd be screwed if you had a drive failure.
March 26, 2010 2:42:56 AM

I was looking up external hard drive docks,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Would this be good to keep my 500 GB caviar black hard drive in? And then put the Velociraptor in my PC, I'm not sure how to hook all of this up, I am not the expert on hard drives, as I've only been using 1 at a time since forever. But what is my best option? And how do I hook it up, they are both SATA. :) 
March 26, 2010 3:06:11 AM

I'm basically just looking for faster speeds/load times, will putting it as an external hard drive make it slower?
a c 209 $ Windows 7
a c 415 G Storage
March 26, 2010 4:33:47 PM

If you plan to use the stuff stored on the drive every time you use your computer, then it would be better to put the drive inside the computer. External drives are best for drives you want to disconnect when not in use.

External hard drives will be slower if you connect them using USB 2.0. If you connect them using eSATA or USB 3.0 they should run at pretty much the same speed as an internal drive would.
March 26, 2010 5:14:45 PM

So should I put my 150 GB velociraptor in a dock that has esata? I looked up my motherboard (evga 780i) and it does not support esata, would I be able to put a pci or pci express x1 card in there that has esata ports to use it?

such as this:

http://www.gogofan.com/Masscool-Controller-Card-p/04-pc...

though this one above has esata II, which I assume is better? And would need a dock that is esata II compatible?

Will the velociraptor 150 GB hard drive fit in a dock? (it's 3.5") It has a cooling tray so I don't know if it's capable of being docked, here's the velociraptor:

Should I put games on the external hard drive then with the velociraptor? Would this be significantly faster with esata II? Thanks for all the help
March 26, 2010 5:18:41 PM

is an externally docked WD Velociraptor in esata II faster than an internal WD Black Caviar Hard Drive?
March 26, 2010 6:00:19 PM

Also the only slot that is left open in my PC is a pci express x16 slot (1 which I am not using because I have the other two in SLI, but there is room to fit one of these cards in it if it will work). I have read that pcie x1 will fit in a pcie x16 slot, just I don't know if it will work if I have two 8800gt cards in SLI in slots 1 and 3. Can I plug that pcie x1 card into slot 2 of my SLI setup without a problem?
a c 209 $ Windows 7
a c 415 G Storage
March 26, 2010 6:36:12 PM

Is the reason you're worried about external drives and/or hard drive docks because you don't have room inside your computer for a second drive? Is it a space issue or is it because you don't have enough SATA ports (I assume these are SATA drives since that's what the Velociraptor you linked to is).

The adapter card you linked to is for an IDE drive. If you have SATA drives then it won't work with them.

I suspect the Velociraptor won't fit into a hard drive dock because of the 3.5" adapter with the cooling fins - but I don't have one so I can't tell for sure.
March 26, 2010 9:22:33 PM

I do have room to put it in my pc, it's just i don't know how to set it up once they are both plugged in. How does it work? Will it just show a combined 650 GB of space? Will one be slower than the other, how can I control what drive does what, for instance if I want the velociraptor to run all of my games?

Also I know it has a connection for an IDE drive, but it also has a port on the back of it for esata II, which wouldn't that work to plug into an external esata II dock? I would think that the velociraptor would fit though since I found docks that can fit 2.5" and 3.5", I don't know for sure though but this is my guess?
March 26, 2010 9:59:32 PM

can the external dock just be esata and work with the esata II port? Would you just use an esata to esata cable for that?
a c 209 $ Windows 7
a c 415 G Storage
March 27, 2010 12:10:00 AM

You can just plug both drives into separate ports - either on the motherboard or using the rear connectors. Internal drives would be mounted bare inside the case, external drives would need either an enclosure or a dock. Once they're partitioned and formatted, you'll have two drive letters - for example "C:" and "D:". You just need to choose which folders to put where.

I agree with cwheeler's comment above that mixing those two different types of drives in a single RAID array isn't the most effective way to use them.

Any eSATA dock or enclosure should work with any eSATA port.

I'm a bit skeptical about the Velociraptors fitting in a dock because the mating connector at the back of the drive is in a standard position offset from one corner of both 2.5" and 3.5" drives. The addition of the cooling assembly on the Velociraptor probably means that the connector is too far from the corner of the back surface to work properly in a dock.

March 27, 2010 5:42:12 AM

Alright so I ended up just installing it in my computer internally as a 2nd drive, I installed windows 7 home premium 64-bit OEM on it, with no problems at all. :) 

Now, I have updated the motherboard drivers and my graphics card drivers, as well as enabled SLI. Do I have to reinstall everything? Or can I copy it to the new drive D: from the old drive C:? I've heard that you can ghost the drives, but i'm not too sure what that entails. What would you recommend I do now that I have it installed?
a c 209 $ Windows 7
a c 415 G Storage
March 27, 2010 6:06:59 AM

I'm not understanding why you installed Windows on whatever drive you installed it on if what you wanted to do was have it on other drive...?
March 27, 2010 4:08:47 PM

I installed the same windows 7 on the new hard drive (the velociraptor) I thought that's what I have to do to be able to use it?
March 27, 2010 4:10:34 PM

Is there a way to use them like this without going into the BIOS every time and switching priority boot for the hard drives? I'm very confused on what to do next. :( 
a c 209 $ Windows 7
a c 415 G Storage
March 27, 2010 4:28:37 PM

You don't have to install windows on both drives. I'd personally only install it on the Velociraptor since that's the drive with the faster access times and Windows will benefit the most from being there.

You can just format the other drive as one big NTFS partition and use it to store your data. It will probably show up as the "D:" drive and you can put whatever folders (music, videos, etc.) you want there.

Of course if you already have files on that drive then you'd want to make sure you save a copy of them before formatting it, since that will wipe out all the data on the drive.
March 27, 2010 7:23:11 PM

how do i format the other drive as one big NTFS partition? Can you please give details :)  thanks
March 27, 2010 7:23:54 PM

Also, how can i copy/save the data on the hard drive I have now?
a c 209 $ Windows 7
a c 415 G Storage
March 28, 2010 3:32:46 AM

To save your data, you should be able to open up both hard drives in Explorer and drag the files and folders you want to keep from one drive to the other.

To format the drive (which, again, will DELETE all the files on it) you need to go into Disk Manager (Start -> Right-click "Computer" -> Manage -> Click no "Disk Management" in the right pane) and right-click on the disk in the lower portion of the right pane.

But with the questions you're asking I'm thinking it might just be best to leave well enough alone. If you have enough space on your 500GB drive then maybe you should just continue to use that by itself. If you really want to get some use out of the new drive one thing you could do is to put it into an external enclosure and use it for backups. You can never have enough backups ;-)
March 28, 2010 3:40:53 AM

Yeah i'm thinking of getting an external dock for the velociraptor, since right now it's not of any use to me (unless I boot to it from the BIOS), do you have any suggestions on any good docks for it that it can fit in?
March 28, 2010 3:58:28 AM

So far I've only found this:

It fits the WD Raptor and many other hard drives i've read many reviews on there, but no one tried it with a velociraptor.. :(  I might be the first. lol

It has USB 2.0, but will that really slow it down? I can always upgrade to esata in the future if I get this dock.

EDIT: Velociraptor might not fit in there, people say it does and some say it won't? Can anyone clarify this?
March 28, 2010 4:04:14 AM

I'm not sure if I understand it correctly, but isn't USB 2.0 rated at speeds up to 480 mbps, which would be speeds up to 60 bytes per second, and esata is rated at speeds up to 3.0 gb/s (3000 mbps), which would be speeds up to 375 byes per second? That would be 6.25 times faster than USB 2.0, correct?

Best solution

a c 209 $ Windows 7
a c 415 G Storage
March 28, 2010 5:09:52 AM

You're absolutely right - to get full speeds out of the drive you should avoid USB 2.0. Use USB 3.0 (if your motherboard supports it) or eSATA.

Unless someone else can confirm that the Velociraptor will fit in a drive dock, I think you're better off using a 3.5" enclosure. That will work fine since the Velociraptor with it's fins is designed to fit in a 3.5" form factor.

It's my understanding that, despite it's impressive looking fins, the 2.5" Velociraptor doesn't put out any more heat than a standard 3.5" drive - so you should be OK with an external enclosure. Just to be safe, though, I'd probably go for either an enclosure with a fan or an all-metal enclosure like the Vantec Nexstar series as that would do a better job of heat dissipation.
March 28, 2010 5:46:55 AM

My motherboard does not support esata though, so would i need to get a pci express x1 controller card that has an external esata port? Will the pci x1 card work in the 2nd pci x16 slot of my sli setup? (It's the only slot open). My motherboard is the evga 780i.
March 28, 2010 6:10:33 AM

Here's a 3.5" enclosure I found tell me what you think of this:

I noticed that there is a cable that will hook up to my motherboard and run sata, but my motherboard says it doesn't support esata, so my guess is it won't work that way? The only way esata will work with my motherboard is through a controller card, correct?

EDIT: Okay so I did a little research, and some people are saying on forums that controller cards won't even work to get the esata to work on the evga 780i. :(  I guess I'll have to use the USB 2.0 for now since my motherboard doesn't support USB 3.0 either.
a c 209 $ Windows 7
a c 415 G Storage
March 28, 2010 8:24:39 AM

Looks like a decent enough enclosure...
March 28, 2010 5:33:40 PM

It's the only one I could find that had a fan, and was designed to lay down flat on my desk :)  but yeah it's at a good price of only $35, if I get a new motherboard someday I can always get a new enclosure, and will know the differences thanks to you. Thanks a lot for the help sminlal, I appreciate it.
March 28, 2010 5:34:25 PM

Best answer selected by Micccx.
March 29, 2010 1:21:45 AM

Okay so I bought the Rosewill and it should be here within the next 3 days or so. I'll try it with esata and see how that goes, if it doesn't work I'll just use the USB 2.0. :)  I plan on using the 150GB velociraptor in my system to boot from, and then using my 500 GB black caviar in the Rosewill enclosure. Thanks for all the help again, I'll post here when I have my results in speeds.
!