Best way to set up my case fans

vexun11

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Hello, I am trying to figure out the best way to set up my case fans, I have 4 120mm fans with a thermaltake supranors case, 1 case in the back, 2 on the side window and one in the front, and the case has a front door and on the bottom of the door which is where the case fan sucks in is a little grill so it seems like I would need to open it up all the way to get a better effect. Anyway I have the fans set up front and side 2 blowing in and the fan in the back exhausting all of the air, but with my new 9800GT EE the heat exhausts of the back of the card so its actually creating heat in the middle of my case, I guess its set that way for SLI or whatever, Anyway I really want to increase my temps, I decided to purchase all these fans but I cant figure out the best way to set them all up considering my video card exhausts the air towards hard drives which are about 6 inches away, so I have the front fan blowing in on the hard drives then blowing against the card where the heat comes out, so it seems like its just blowing the hot air back in the card. sorry i am really new to this

I am running a AMD X2 5600+ cheap asus motherboard, 9800GT EE, decent heatsink, cpu temps arent way low but not too high, around 40-55 ish , video card with default fan speed at 35% idles around 60º and under full load with fan speed up to 75% it gets up to like 65-70 which worries me I want to get the temps down and I am hoping that I can arrange the fans around to do so

thank you

vexun11

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
im wondering though if I should use one of the side fans for exhaust because the front fan is blowing the hot air back in the video card, the 9800GT EE has air come out from the back of the card so my front fan blows the hot air from that right back inside of it, would it be better to remove the front fan?

Wizardsblade

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010

If it makes you feel better my 9800gt idles at 56c and can get up to 80c (the stack fan setting dont really start to kick in till about 78c) temp tipically stays at 75c. It has been running well for over a year and XFX says <90 and your ok so graphics card temps sound fine to me.

I would even think that you will see little to no difference on your GC temps if you take the front fan off. Try unpluging it and run a test =).

vexun11

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Ok great thanks, i'm really glad to know that, so you think if I run around 68-70C I should be fine?

Awesome thank you, It seems like nvidia cards can handle a lot more heat the ati cards because with my 4650 when it got up to 75C it started to artifact. with this card it runs smooth even up to like 75C