Sign in with
Your question
Closed

will my pc be grapically better than a ps3??

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 17, 2008 7:07:37 PM

im getting

amd 6000+
seagate barracuda
ati radeon 4850
antec neoower psu
2 or 4 gigs ddr 800 ram

More about : grapically ps3

November 17, 2008 7:08:39 PM

will t be beter than a ps3 graphically? even @ hi-res?

November 17, 2008 7:15:04 PM

No. The PS3 is the ultimate gaming machine, surpassed by no other.
And Sony is the best company EVER!

*EDIT*
I apologize, I was temporarily possessed by a fanboy.
The answer was actually yes, but I would suggest doing a little more research to get the best quality components possible, within your budget.
Related resources
a c 171 U Graphics card
November 17, 2008 7:16:26 PM

Define better.
November 17, 2008 7:18:43 PM

the game looks better when you are playing it, im just talking graphics here, not controllers r anything
November 17, 2008 7:27:13 PM

Yes

The PS3 basically uses a 7800GT, a HD4850 craps all over it.
November 17, 2008 7:41:36 PM

^+1 crap all over it, impossible to clean off

although i find it funny that consoles are labeled with "next-gen high def graphics" when pc have had much much more since the nvidia 7 series. i mean were in the GTX (10 series) now, waaay past a 7800GT.
November 17, 2008 8:05:17 PM

Yes. It's been asked over 9000 times throughout the ages going way back at least 100 years ago.

You are right though, lots of PC games right now are lame console ports.

But not all hope is lost, Capcom's Devil May Cry 4 for PC was developed alongside the console, so it looks great on PC(Previous Capcom games where ported to PC by Ubisoft, and they where doing a **** job).

So there are some developers that care about the higher standards of the PC gaming community.
November 17, 2008 8:21:12 PM

thanx evry1. i wouldnt have asked f id known i could find it elsewhere on t'internet
a c 106 U Graphics card
November 17, 2008 8:40:18 PM

Yeah, the PS3 basically has a modified 7800 GTX with Rambus RAM for a GPU. The 1+ TFLOP number probably includes the triangle transformations rather than the raw shading power of the GPU. Not to mention the game systems are rather limited by the relatively small amount of RAM they have available.
a b U Graphics card
November 17, 2008 9:05:25 PM

We all remember that thread, I think the OP was run outta here on top of an old xbox, with the joy stick you know wheres
November 17, 2008 9:16:40 PM

Quote:
Not really as most games are console ports now and are reduced to their level.

Not the good ones. Far Cry 2 was reduced to their level, but not Crysis. Their visual difference is huge.

a b U Graphics card
November 17, 2008 9:32:02 PM

dagger, there ya go, usin up all of Toms BW again, heheh
November 17, 2008 9:38:37 PM

PC > PS3
November 17, 2008 9:46:42 PM

Your computer will make a PS3 look like trash, at least in some games.
November 17, 2008 9:48:53 PM

I have both a PC and PS3....PC came after though :D 

And now i do most FPS on PC but platformers and exclusives are amazing on the PS3. LittleBigPlanet, most screwed up little game but its so much fun....and MGS4 is just awesome. Snake ftw
Also keep in mind the PS3 has the floating point killer CELL processor!!!! lol
Just as long as u all support that PS3 > Xbox 360
a b U Graphics card
November 17, 2008 10:16:54 PM

megamanx00 said:
Yeah, the PS3 basically has a modified 7800 GTX with Rambus RAM for a GPU. The 1+ TFLOP number probably includes the triangle transformations rather than the raw shading power of the GPU. Not to mention the game systems are rather limited by the relatively small amount of RAM they have available.

Not to mention EVERYTHING you're loading into memory comes off a CD-ROM or DVD-ROM, rather than a faster transfer off a modern hard disk... Not like that matters as much when you're using old school hardware anyhow.
November 17, 2008 10:55:09 PM

Ps3 > xbox360 cpu wise xbox360 > ps3 gpu wise and we all know games are graphic cards dependent. Thats rubbish comparing ps3 to the older xbox360 http://dpad.gotfrag.com/portal/story/35372/?spage=8. Even the xbox360 smacks around the ps3 what do you expect from three generations after the xbox360 gpu ?
November 17, 2008 11:01:08 PM

Cmon guys comparing a hd4850 to a 7800gtx thats like comparing a 4870x2 to a 9600gt at high res
November 18, 2008 12:08:45 AM

jerreece said:
Not to mention EVERYTHING you're loading into memory comes off a CD-ROM or DVD-ROM, rather than a faster transfer off a modern hard disk... Not like that matters as much when you're using old school hardware anyhow.

Well that depends on what ur using....that mostly affects loading speeds. But for the PS3 at least on MGS4, it installs sections of the game onto the hard drive. Can still be slow on some loads, but it definitely helps. I believe Xbox now lets u do that on their new update.

As to Cyber the fact that games are graphics card dependent are much more important to Computers than consoles. Computer processors are general so that they can do all types of computations, not just floating point.
Processors like the Cell and Tri Core in the Xbox are developed more specifically to run constant floating point calculations for gaming so in that respect processing power definitely helps in consoles. Its not just the gpu in there.
The only game recently that has the Xbox rly beat the PS3 was in Fallout 3. I played it on all 3 systems.
First was PC by far, followed by Xbox and then the PS3. The Xbox had better lighting effects but again all that comes from the coding of the developers...
November 18, 2008 4:53:03 AM

Games, thats the real war between consoles resident you right. Lets go back to the xbox1 and ps2 era. The ps2 has loads of gigaflops enough to make todays processors blush but it sucks in the gpu department thats were the xbox1 stomp it. Just the fact that the ps2 had better games ppl consider it as the number one console.
November 18, 2008 5:48:16 AM

okokokokk............. soz evry1 i should have tried harder to look it up :) 
a b U Graphics card
November 18, 2008 5:53:29 AM

Its just that every once in awhile, someone comes here and actually believes that consoles are superior in graphics, and it gets annoying, sorry for all the reactions, but if youre here long enough, youll see it again soon, and another round will have to go
November 18, 2008 5:55:08 AM

kk lol
November 18, 2008 5:45:15 PM

JAYDEEJOHN said:
Its just that every once in awhile, someone comes here and actually believes that consoles are superior in graphics, and it gets annoying, sorry for all the reactions, but if youre here long enough, youll see it again soon, and another round will have to go

They're probably running onboard gpu, like most computer illiterate people. So it actually would be better. :p 
a b U Graphics card
November 18, 2008 7:49:11 PM

Especially those top selling Intel ones, ya know, the ones thats done so much for gaming? Ya know, the top sellers?
November 19, 2008 6:09:14 AM

The people that play game with consoles would never play with PC.personally use my PC for gaming and I am prude of that.But do not close your eyes to the facts.the PS3 is much more powerful than what you call pc gaming,close your eyes to the names.If you have the money for buying 4870X2 in crossfire or 3way SLI go for it ,but if you dont have money like me,buy a PS3.
November 19, 2008 7:26:57 AM

Uhm lioncomputer you only need is a 3870 or higher a cheap g31 mobo maybe 2 gigs ddr800 in dual channel and any core 2 duo for overclocking to kill the ps3. And do you know how much setup cost these days ? You don't need a 280 gtx or 4870x2 beasts to take down sony's console.
November 19, 2008 1:07:50 PM

cyber_jockey said:
What do you mean the ps3 is more powerful then a pc ? Are you talking about the teraflops ? If so here you go http://www.gamersreports.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=...

LOL, I still see people on forums getting pissed off when you say their console isn't nearly as good as they think it is. "Teh PS3 is an octo-core at 3.2gigihurtz, you pc gamers only get quad core at 3gigihurtz if you buy a $5000 comp."
a b U Graphics card
November 19, 2008 2:34:15 PM

nba 2k9 on the ps3 is making me vomit everytime i see it. the jerseys, the floor, uh, its so so bland.

nba 2k9 on the PC on the otherhand is so worthwhile. i just got my 4850 this afternoon but i noticed that my 9600gt rendered 2k9 better than my 4850..im hoping a few driver tweaks can help me improve the image quality.
November 23, 2008 5:07:08 AM

Dear Cyber_jockey.
HD 3870 and a MB with G31 and 2GB 800 would not be better than PS3.Our business is about benchmarking the VGA and MB and Ram in our company. www.lioncomputer.ir .We test all these stuff that you said.The technology in PC have a shade of technology used in PS3.you have FPS and frame rate in your PC but in PS3 is another story.In PC your frame rate may reduce in many causes.But in Playing I prefer to point and snipe with a mouse rather than a silly joystick.
November 23, 2008 5:42:18 AM

they actually ported crysis to the ps3?
one question: why bother?
November 23, 2008 6:48:48 AM

This is great now even spam is backing up pony's gaystation.
November 23, 2008 7:48:50 AM

LMAO.
a b U Graphics card
November 23, 2008 3:54:24 PM

lioncomputer said:
Dear Cyber_jockey...

Lion,

You don't know what you're talking about, and saying mouse vs joystick shows you don't know that you can use both on all 3 of the main solutions (PC, PS3, X360) you just need support from the game, not the hardware which already supports it.

I don't care what you sell (posting that as either an ad or to add weight to your lack of strength in your words), that's like saying that the convenience store clerk is a pharma-chemical engineer because he sells ASA.

This discussion has been had, and it's people like yourself who have just enough limited knowledge to be certain of their position, yet obviously by their posts don't know what they're talking about.

Each has their place and advantages and the advantage of the PS3 and the money thing is no longer as clear cut as you pretend, the PS3's advantage lies primarily in it's cheap market dumping Sony BluRay player, without that or if the person doesn't care, then alot of it's advantage is lost, especially to anyone that either already owns a basic PC or is buying one anyways, to upgrade past the PS3 or X360 is just as cost effective nowadays if not more so.

I don't know what benchmarking you're doing, but I doubt you're using like vs like conditions if you think the HD3870 or GF9600 or HD4670 with a capable core/ram wouldn't outperform the PS3 in a like vs like situation.

Consoles' major benefit is ease of use for luddites (although it's no longer just plug and go like the old consoles) and exclusive titles which is an artificial difference created by/for the console makers not a facet of the console itself.

However the main thing is in the end it doesn't matter, because not everyone needs a Supercar, so some people will prefer the PC, the PS3, the Xbox, or even more so the Wii, whose specs are destroyed by laptops yet outsells all other dedicated gaming options showing it's not really about just the raw power/specs.

PS, this thread will be closed in the next 12 hours, as mentioned earlier this has been done to death many times over.
December 1, 2008 11:35:41 AM

1885175,38,1667 said:
Lion,

You don't know what you're talking about, and saying mouse vs joystick shows you don't know that you can use both on all 3 of the main solutions (PC, PS3, X360) you just need support from the game, not the hardware.............................

I thought the guys in tomshardware forum are professional, but I have to revival my opinion.First of all I never said that we tested the PS3 or 360 with a PC.And I never said that which one is better and just wrote my personal viewpoint.and as you said Whole of the games in the consoles do not support mouse and keyboard.
and at last I want to know that how many PCs did you setup and how many did you sell and how many did you test... so you attack persons opinion...
December 1, 2008 12:31:40 PM

Dear TheGreatGrapeApe,

I think the gun is your hands, but the question is this : Do you have license?
you said : (posting that as either an ad or to add weight to your lack of strength in your words)
I say : We do not need to post in way that the guys in this forum think we are professional and we do not have any pretension.
We are talking about the electronic tools not about the guns and it is not the battlefield so be much more dispassionate and cool.
You did not help the poor guy who asked this question with your post.I did not see any weight words too like myself(as I said we do not have any pretension)
December 1, 2008 4:34:00 PM

lioncomputer said:

First of all I never said that we tested the PS3 or 360 with a PC.And I never said that which one is better and just wrote my personal viewpoint.

lioncomputer said:

HD 3870 and a MB with G31 and 2GB 800 would not be better than PS3.Our business is about benchmarking the VGA and MB and Ram in our company. www.lioncomputer.ir .We test all these stuff that you said.The technology in PC have a shade of technology used in PS3.you have FPS and frame rate in your PC but in PS3 is another story.In PC your frame rate may reduce in many causes.

We need a thread lock.
a c 130 U Graphics card
December 1, 2008 4:45:14 PM

Hey TGGA you ok ?
12 Hours was long ago.

Mactronix
a b U Graphics card
December 1, 2008 8:08:45 PM

Sorry Mactronix, I forgot about it, and then most of my week was spent getting ready for the World Cup in Lake Louise (poor snow for the rest of us) so didn't really check back here much.

Lion, dude, I don't care man, and your PM'in me the same junk doesn't change that. Nor does my build/sell experience which simply equates you to that ASA seller or Best Buy employee, and doesn't lend any wieght to your statements, which are still myopic, even if you should know better.
!