Sign in with
Your question

Windows's wireless messed up after failed windows updates

Last response: in Windows XP
March 26, 2011 11:23:53 AM

hello all, im having a big problem with an asus K40ij laptop and XP sp3 installed, its wireless was working fine until i went to the windows update webpage, i started to install about 101 updates, (no hardware updates, just critical updates) and when it was in about the 13th update, (dont remember what update it was) and error related to svchosts.exe (the memory could not be written or something like that) was popped up, since so, the windows update page got stuck and the updates stopped installing, i wasn´t able to cancel them, could not close that windows, and wasnt able to shut down or restart the system, everything became practically unresponsive, so i had to shut it down holding the power button, when the system started again, the wireless networks icon shows a popup telling networks in range are detected, but when you open the windows to see the networks, "windows cannot detect networks" is shown, so the icon remains with a "X" and cannot connect via wireless, however, the wired internet is working fine.

-i tried to uninstall the last updates from add remove programs, but even if i clicked the "show updates" option, no updates where available,

-i unistalled the wireless driver, reinstalled it with no luck

-after some virus scan and cleaning(avg, ms onecare and spybot) , i tried to install all the patches again, this time were installed perfectly, eventhough the wireless remained useless

-after some research tried with some apps i found such "WinsockxpFix", and "net stumbler" but didnt help (with net stumbler, networks were displayed and it tries to connect to them, the "X" icon from the wireless goes away, as it were conected, but i cannot access the internet and cannot "ping" any websites

-checked the windows zero configuration service, and its seems to be ok and enabled,

unfortunatlly, i cannot format or perform a windows clean install on this system, i just think some file, dll, or related to the windows wireless managment was corrputed or lost during the windows update crash and needs to be repaired, so i tried the sfc /scannow command but even when it restored some files, wireless is still useless.

so, i come here as a last resourse looking for help, hope some one can help me. :S

i forgot to mention "system restore", was the first thing i tried, it restored succesfully to an earlier date where the wireless was working fine,
but the wireless remains useless, as far as i know, system restore does not restore windows files, just configuration and "registry stuff", so it also gives me a clue some OS network related file has to be either missing or currupted, the question is which one??

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
March 26, 2011 1:22:06 PM

This topic has been moved from the section Wireless Networking to section Windows XP by Grumpy9117
m
l
September 13, 2012 1:17:00 PM

Ever figure this out?

andresvergara said:
hello all, im having a big problem with an asus K40ij laptop and XP sp3 installed, its wireless was working fine until i went to the windows update webpage, i started to install about 101 updates, (no hardware updates, just critical updates) and when it was in about the 13th update, (dont remember what update it was) and error related to svchosts.exe (the memory could not be written or something like that) was popped up, since so, the windows update page got stuck and the updates stopped installing, i wasn´t able to cancel them, could not close that windows, and wasnt able to shut down or restart the system, everything became practically unresponsive, so i had to shut it down holding the power button, when the system started again, the wireless networks icon shows a popup telling networks in range are detected, but when you open the windows to see the networks, "windows cannot detect networks" is shown, so the icon remains with a "X" and cannot connect via wireless, however, the wired internet is working fine.

-i tried to uninstall the last updates from add remove programs, but even if i clicked the "show updates" option, no updates where available,

-i unistalled the wireless driver, reinstalled it with no luck

-after some virus scan and cleaning(avg, ms onecare and spybot) , i tried to install all the patches again, this time were installed perfectly, eventhough the wireless remained useless

-after some research tried with some apps i found such "WinsockxpFix", and "net stumbler" but didnt help (with net stumbler, networks were displayed and it tries to connect to them, the "X" icon from the wireless goes away, as it were conected, but i cannot access the internet and cannot "ping" any websites

-checked the windows zero configuration service, and its seems to be ok and enabled,

unfortunatlly, i cannot format or perform a windows clean install on this system, i just think some file, dll, or related to the windows wireless managment was corrputed or lost during the windows update crash and needs to be repaired, so i tried the sfc /scannow command but even when it restored some files, wireless is still useless.

so, i come here as a last resourse looking for help, hope some one can help me. :S

i forgot to mention "system restore", was the first thing i tried, it restored succesfully to an earlier date where the wireless was working fine,
but the wireless remains useless, as far as i know, system restore does not restore windows files, just configuration and "registry stuff", so it also gives me a clue some OS network related file has to be either missing or currupted, the question is which one??

m
l
a b F Wireless
September 13, 2012 1:27:50 PM

After a year and a half I dont' thing the OP is interested any longer.
m
l
!