Solved

Voltages and what it does to the CPU lifespan

So I'm fairly new at overclocking.. bear with me :)

I got a core i7-860 set up with an Asus P7P55D-E Pro motherboard and 4 Gigs of 1600Mhz DD3 ram.
I managed to get a simple OC of BCLK to 160 (came from 133), but left the CPU voltage on auto.
I kept EIST and C1E on, but noticed that my CPU voltage doesn't drop when idle (according to CPU-Z) (although the multiplier does - thanks to EIST).

Since it now autosets around 1.2V instead of the default 0.8V-0.95V, I was wondering if this will shorten the lifespan of my CPU easily, or if I don't really have to worry about it at such Voltages?
7 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about voltages lifespan
  1. Best answer
    You don't need to sweat it at that voltage.

Naturally the lower the voltage required to keep a system stable the better but you're well below the processor maximum rating of 1.4V.
  2. Ok thanks!
    And shouldn't C1E lower my voltages when idle too?
  3. Falx said:
    Ok thanks!
    And shouldn't C1E lower my voltages when idle too?

On a lot of boards, it won't when set to "auto" if you OC. Switch it to "Enabled" and you should be fine...
  4. The voltage change is due to the power saving feature "speed step technology".

In order to keep voltage constant, you need to disable speed step by turning off C1E, C3/C6/C7 and EIST.
  5. Best answer selected by Falx.
  6. Ok thank you all!
  7. More voltage is generally req'd to overclock. The newer i7 chips can be substantially undervolted even while being OC'd. For example, my son runs an everyday OC (365/24) at 3.7 Ghz (over the 2.66 stock) at only 1.125 volts to the CPU and 1.56 volts to the memory
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Overclocking Intel i7